From Australia to the EU with a bike.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Lolthatguy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    So, my wife and I have had enough of our current lives. We are selling our house, our cars and most of our possessions, quitting our jobs and going to live in Malta, France and Spain over a period of 6 months. A bit of a working holiday as it were.

I'm reading a thread by a member here by the handle Antihero, who is riding his 1199 basically around the world. :clap
    Anyway, this had me thinking. I wonder what it would be like to ride my VFR800 around Malta. Sure, it's not very big, but it would be fun (and sound bad-assed in the narrow lanes)

Anyone here have any ideas on how to find out the laws and requirements on shipping a motorcycle from a non EU country to the EU, and whether I can keep my Australian registration or whether I have to convert mine to EU?

Time frame for this trip? About 2 months. I'm very excited!

THanks all.
  2. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Insurance is, IMO, the biggest limiter. What does your local insurance company have to say about it? When I shipped my bike to the USA I needed extra insurance - wasn't cheap either.

As for driving a foreign plated vehicle in Malta - google and ye shall find - http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transport/driving

Don't forget to get an IDP.
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    your Oz insurance probably won´t be valid in the EU. But that´s easy to check, and if needed, easy enough to get something that works over here.

Shipping your bike both ways will cost quite a bit of money, and take some time, especially if you use seafreight. So it is do-able, but won´t come cheap, I´m not sure if it is feasible for two months. Unless your hell bent on getting your current ride into the EU, you might also consider buying, or even renting something here.