NEW 2007 or 2008 F800ST

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ovd, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ovd

ovd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move it as appropriate.
    Let me ask the wise and the experienced folks here. As you may know BMW is running a promotion for 2008 and older F800ST bikes. I decided to take the advantage of it and have been aggressively looking for ’07 and ’08 leftovers in the area. Found two options:
    1. '08 F800ST loaded, no ABS.
    2. '07 (new) F800ST loaded, with ABS but no trip computer.
    Both dealers are willing to take another $300-$400 off the price after BMW rebate and have offered acceptable terms for my trade-in. I’m in a dilemma which one to get. Problem with the ‘08 bike is the absent ABS and the problem with the 07 is that it going to be 2 years old in 3 weeks. So, my questions, if I may:
    1. How important is it to have ABS? Can it really save my life? I’m a novice rider, so the question of safety is ultra-important in my case.
    2. What am I risking buying a motorcycle that been sitting still for 2 years? What possible “damage” can it sustain from it? (Warranty is standard 3/36 and affective from the date of purchase)
    3. I’m certain that should I sell the ’07 bike in a few years the bike will have market value of ’07 but will the fact that I bought it new in late ’08 add it any resale value?
    4. From your experience, has BMW ironed out most of the problems discussed here on the forum of ’07-’08 production run for the ’09 models? Am I safer from reliability standpoint stick to ’09 bikes?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Big-B

Big-B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the ABS on my BMW. You can find really good deals on used super low miles F800ST's. Check bmwmoa, bmwsporttouring, and ibmw.

Brian
  3. Jeff49783

Jeff49783 Private ASEL

Oddometer:
    I recommend the ABS. Even crusty old Harley riders are coming around and acknowledging the value of ABS. If it saves your bacon, great. If it prevents any incident, it pays for itself. If you never need it, your insurance may be lower and you'll recoup some of the investment at resale time.

Regarding the model year, you are buying a two-year-old bike. It will be a used two year old when you get it home. According to MCN's Summer 2008 Used Bike Value Guide (http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/usedbike/200807usedguide.pdf), $8655 is what the F800ST is worth. This might not matter as you might not be selling. Or it could be a great deal. I would rather get the '09, potentially with some of the early production "bugs" worked out by BMW.

Deals are everywhere right now, if that is your goal. If not, get what you want and be happy.

Best Wishes
  4. Fastjunk

Fastjunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ABS is pretty important. It makes no sense to not get it these days if the option is there.

We have all seen / experienced our share of locked-up rear and God-forbid front brakes that could have had better outcome.
  5. Porky

Porky Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer:
    Make sure the bike "fits" you. My '08 ST did not fit and became a trade-in within 600 miles.
  6. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would go with the ABS bike. If you keep the bike for a few years there will be very little difference between the '07 and '08 values. I would ask the dealer to check the '07 bike for any recalls or service bulletins and perform them before taking delivery. I don't think the fact that the bike has been sitting in a showroom for a year or so is an issue, but if you're worried about it you can have them change all the fluids at the break-in service (maybe see if they'll throw that in).

You might want to check one of the F800ST-specific forums for any technical updates between the '07 and '08 bikes before you make your decision. I'd also try to work the dealer on the '07 price, as it's only logical that they sell it cheaper than the '08.
  7. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for ABS. On more than one occasion have come around a turn on a wet road and found deer, cow or some moron turning around in the middle a blind turn.

Nice to be able to brake hard and still be able to maneuver. :thumb
  8. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I would get the ABS. Two year old bike, so what! Three year warranty. Your only problem will be explaining the low miles :wave
  9. ovd

ovd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate everyone’s input on this. It really does help me in my decision making.
  10. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy a bike without ABS now.
  11. g_e_young

g_e_young Born to ride

Oddometer:
    Keep looking and find an 08 with ABS. Both of your current options stink. Or consider an 09 as you want it, as when you look at resale the cost of ownership might not be that different.

g-
  12. JonnyThrice

JonnyThrice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WAIT! Read up on the ABS system on F800 series bikes. A friend of mine has a non-ABS F800S, but showed me many posts in the F800 forums about problems specifically with the F800's ABS system. It doesnt seem to be up to par with the rest of BMW's ABS, and apparently is downright dangerous!

I am not speaking from personal experience here...just from what I have read...so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I would go for an ABS bike over a non-ABS, but this just scares me!

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18225
  13. NakedRider

NakedRider NakedRider

Oddometer:
    +1...and I am speaking from personal experience. I had an '07 F800S with ABS. What happens is the ABS "releases" the brakes completely when it cycles. I could duplicate this at any time and I considered it so dangerous that I unplugged it. I would NOT get the ABS on BMWs 800.
  14. hoax

hoax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS would have saved me from the only motorcycle crash I've been in and the resulting broken collar bone.

With that being said I've read some horrible things about the F800's ABS. Do some research before pulling the trigger.
  15. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I agree, you should keep looking. Th 07 bike, while new, is still going on 2 years old for paper purposes. If you're gonna keep it for a few years, probably no big deal. Decide you don't like come June, it's gona hurt ya. Why not look at a couple of other dealers ? Gateway in St Louis has LOTS of bikes on the floor and would probably treat you right...you've got the new dealer in Indy as well. Hey, you're buying a NEW BIKE...get the exact one you want. Find an 08 with ABS...you won't regret it in the long run. And a road trip in the dead of winter to pick up a new bike is kool.
  16. Colemanskeeper

Colemanskeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I own an 07ST with all options, purchased the demo model by the way, I would suggest the 08. Aside from 1 situation where the abs acted a little goofy and almost put me in a bad situation....I love my ST. So no ABS ... no biggy in my opinion. The trip computer, TPM, and other goodies are nice. There are starting to be lots of farkles to make this bike your own. I will have a new lighter can installed by spring and most likely the front end worked on by Traxxion. The biggest issue with buying the 2 year old bike is resale and warranty. Either way it comes down to your wallet so you have to make that decision. PM if you have any specific questions! Good luck with your choice!

1. '08 F800ST loaded, no ABS.
    2. '07 (new) F800ST loaded, with ABS but no trip computer.
    Both dealers are willing to take another $300-$400 off the price after BMW rebate and have offered acceptable terms for my trade-in. I’m in a dilemma which one to get. Problem with the ‘08 bike is the absent ABS and the problem with the 07 is that it going to be 2 years old in 3 weeks. So, my questions, if I may:
    1. How important is it to have ABS? Can it really save my life? I’m a novice rider, so the question of safety is ultra-important in my case. Can be a good thing, but safe riding practices are way more important
    2. What am I risking buying a motorcycle that been sitting still for 2 years? What possible “damage” can it sustain from it? (Warranty is standard 3/36 and affective from the date of purchase) See if the dealer will still offer a 3 year warranty on the 07, don't know if you don't ask!!
    3. I’m certain that should I sell the ’07 bike in a few years the bike will have market value of ’07 but will the fact that I bought it new in late ’08 add it any resale value? probably not
    4. From your experience, has BMW ironed out most of the problems discussed here on the forum of ’07-’08 production run for the ’09 models? Am I safer from reliability standpoint stick to ’09 bikes? Again I've had zero problems with my 07 a good resource is F800Riders.org

Thanks in advance.[/quote]
  17. matts1050

matts1050 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think carefully before you purchase a bike without ABS. I had a 2007 Triumph Tiger without ABS and just had this terrible remorse about not getting it. So much so that I am now the proud owner af a 2008 Tiger with ABS. This lesson only cost me an additional $6000:eek1 . So take your time!
  18. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of my 2008 ST.

It's really been a fantastic bike.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a self-described novice, why buy such a spendy bike? At this point, you should consider 2 very likely things:
    1) you will very likely drop the bike, and a new BMW could be very expensive & agonizing to drop
    2) you may not have enough seat time to know what you really want. A used bike can get you seat time with little or no depreciation.

My first bike when returning to the sport after 2-1/2 decades away was a 4 year old, low mileage Ninja 500. Was a hoot to ride, already had a few scratches, and would have sold for same as I paid for it if I hadn't given it to my wife to replace her 2007 Ninja 250, which she rode for a whole season and sold for only $300 less than she paid for it. Neither bike required anything more than an oil change for a summer's worth of pleasure riding and commuting.

Why not track down a clean Bandit 600 or 1200, Katana 600 or 750, SV650, Ninja 500 or 650, FZR 600, Honda F4i, etc. and have some fun?

Not sure about bike-specific issues with that particular BMW, but I would buy ABS for sure if it is available.

Not sure your level of affluence or type of riding you plan to do, but a late-model used bike will get you in the game and should be easily flipped when you're ready to move on.
  20. ovd

ovd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <o:p></o:p>
    Well,, I'm not 100% green, I've been riding GS500F during this year, put a few thousand miles on it for the reasons you just described - to get my moto-cherry broken on something manageable. I just thought it is time to move on to something larger. A BMW K bike is my ultimate goal but I don't think I'm ready for that quite yet.<o:p></o:p>
    I have made up my made: screw it, I'm going for a new 2009 ST with all the options.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks all for a piece of mind.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>