ADV@LBL.ride - May 2-4, 2014 - Near Cadiz, KY

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by sandalscout, Feb 3, 2014.

1. iamzen

iamzen Viva Christo Rey! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Yepimabiker- I live in Paris too and will be heading over either Thursday night or Friday morning. I will be riding in on the klr and leaving the dirt bike home this trip so may not hit Turkey bay. I plan to ride with the group where ever they go. My first time also and am looking fwd to it.
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    It's sort of free form, but if you want to meet up with the group that is going to Turkey Bay before they leave camp, you could roll into Energy Lake around 8ish and certainly catch them.

I'll have some more important information up later this weekend, just awaiting clarification.
  3. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Sorry I didn't respond to your phone call. It does sound like a great time but, I've been forced to waste my time on boring "grown up stuff". I still haven't changed my bent handlebars on the KLR or the chain & sprokets on the KTM yet. Haven't got a rideable bike at the moment but, I'll be ready by this weekend for sure.
  4. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. monzaman

monzaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking I might get to ride in late Friday afternoon. I'm gonna be on a v-strom on Anakees so mainly paved and gravel for me. Is anybody doing a loop like this Saturday or Sunday morning? Just wondering if you guys have rides planned out or is it a do your own thing kinda deal?
  6. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weather forecast for the weekend looks ideal! The heavy rains we are getting now should fill the creeks, which will also wash away the slippery crap from the rocks. There will be a few muddy roads but as a rule the area dries up very quick. It will still be a great weekend for the big bikes on mostly road tires like me.

We will try to set out the scavenger hunt so it can be ready on Saturday. This is for anyone that would rather explore LBL in smaller groups or even solo.

If you endured the rain and mud baths from last year, this weekend will be your reward!
  7. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Last year was our first ever try at this, and honestly, it went different than I expected.... but in a great way.

On Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning, we had a group ride. Literally every bike present rode in one group of about 20 bikes or so. 200cc-1200cc all together. And it worked. We made detours for part of the group when appropriate, but would meet back up.

When we did this again in November, there were quite a few less bikes (11-12, I think) and we split up into 3 groups. One group hit Turkey Bay, one group hit the rougher stuff within LBL, and one group explored the county roads south of LBL. It worked out great, again, in my opinion.

Right now, it looks like this is starting to shape up the same way again. A group is planning on hitting Turkey Bay on Saturday. I think Troy is planning on leading a group of big bikes, and either KentuckyKLR or I will be leading a group of middle sized/whoever else wants to ride with us.

A friend of mine with almost zero gravel road experience (seriously, maybe 5 miles total) is planning on coming up one day. If so, I'd be glad to lead a ride of easy, slow smooth gravel and dirt. I'll be glad to do this anyway, if there are any newbs that don't want the pressures of riding in a fast/hot group.
  8. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    I just heard from Betty, our awesome host at Energy Lake.

If you are riding, but not camping, you are welcome to come and go to our loop as needed. They will probably just wave you on in, they know what we look like. If you are trailering, just tell them that you are going the dirt bikers but not camping.

Rd 134 is CLOSED North of the camp ground. They are rebuilding the road and putting in a diversion to keep water off of the road. You will need to enter Energy Lake from the South, off of Highway 68.

The Activity Building will be open this weekend, but it is being renovated. It will have electricity, but no water. The bathroom in it will be functional, but that is about it. The big sink, washer and dryer will not be functional. We can reserve it for $20 a day, but I think we are free to use it as is, if we are willing to share it with any others that are there. Should be no problem, and I see no need to reserve it.

Getting close!
  9. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    One more thing to add, and Sandalscout may correct me, but if you ARE camping, tell Mrs Betty you will come back to the check in station after you get a site and tell her which one you are on. They need to know. From memory, Sandalscout should be on Site 1, I'll be on Site 12.

I requested Site 12, because thats where I was last year. And I have a score to settle with the furry little S.O.B. that chewed a hole in my tent and ate my donuts!
  10. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    drm and I should be there early afternoon... in time to get set up and go ride for a couple hours before dinner. :freaky We'll be at which ever site he picked.

As for riding style... I've only got a little off-road experience. I'm willing to try some challenging stuff, but I'm also not too proud to say "screw that" and turn around. Finding new and exciting ways to break stuff and hurt myself isn't my idea of fun, though I consider events like this an opportunity to learn some new things and try stuff I wouldn't try by myself.

From what I recall of the pictures/videos from years past, I don't remember seeing anything that looked outrageously difficult (as compared to some of the beaver rally pics :eek1 ).
  11. KentuckyKLR

KentuckyKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions and a bit of info:

• Chicken fruit still on tap? I plan on bringing a hot plate and a 2 burner stove along with some utensils and plates. Might pick up some stuff to set up an omelet bar as well. Kev, you bringin any sausage?

• They have had the road graders out on a few of the heavily traveled gravel roads so be aware of some slick or deep gravel spots.

• I went through Saturday and a lot of the dirt connector roads were barricaded for hunting foot traffic only for turkey season. Season ended in kentucky and tennessee on Sunday so the barricades should be gone by the weekend.

• For what little off-roading I did Saturday, I picked off a couple of ticks. It would be well advised to bring some tick spray, or I think I've got a few cans I can bring if anyone needs any.

As Troy mentioned, the weather looks great compared to last year so no excuses there. Right now I plan on being there midday on Friday, see y'all then.
  12. Kev95GS

Kev95GS goob

Oddometer:
    Yep and some slab bacon.
    I have a 30 cup coffee pot if we need it. :ear

pumped & ready!
  13. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Thanks for looking in to that. I kept forgetting to!
  14. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I'll be bringing in as much as our girls can squeeze us between now & then. I'm thinking somewhere around 120.
  15. yepimabiker

yepimabiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey iamzen- Maybe we could hook up before hand i am sure we have seen each other around town . Kinda get a plan . If you want just give me a call 336-0959 .
  16. KentuckyKLR

KentuckyKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like we got breakfast covered. I'll get a couple loafs of bread for toast. If you've got room for the pot, bring it along, it worked great last year.
  17. bwbeck

bwbeck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brandon and i will be there mid day Friday. :thumbup
  18. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool!

That will get us up to around 7 KLR's we can make fun of! :rofl

I'M JOKING!!!! ....a little...:D
  19. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    I'll be down there Thursday and make sure all is safe.

A van and wood. Now that's funny.

Should we be bringing food for the group? Breakfast and coffee is for all?
    What about the other four or five meals?
  20. TroyJ650

TroyJ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keeping with the "bring your own everything" theme, be prepared with what you need. The breakfast last year was a great surprise because it just fell together. If you have an idea about something to throw in for Saturday Breakfast, that's great! If we get together Friday night and decide we need more, we'll go get it.

Re-reading this, it kinda sounds like it's a smart ass reply. I don't mean for it to, it just worked very well last year with little planning. Hopefully we'll catch the same vibe this year.