Cheryl & Leslie's Triumph Tiger 800XC ADV to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by soph9, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roger that and I am not trying to muck up the thread with useless stuff! Ride safe and I'm looking forward to the next installment. Back to reading more and posting less!
  2. goldenrev

goldenrev New Dream

Oddometer:
    I was also going to ride the Dempster last week, but made the decision based on the weather reports to not do so. I had gone all the way to Prudhoe Bay on Dalton, mostely in bad weather, and between the wet roads due to rain and the soft wet road due to areas of construction it was really tough, lots of rain, some snow, and dense fog in Atigun pass and up towards Deadhorse. I spent many hours at 20 MPH on the Dalton where I just could not see let alone find the best line to avoid the deeper gravel & potholes.

I am guessing that the Dempster is about the same when the weather & the construction crews are not being your friend :wink:

Back at the dorms I chatted with a rider with broken ribs & a totaled bike from a crash on the Dalton. At Adventure Cycleworks I saw a bike that had gone over a sizable bank on the Dalton. The rider was doing well but flew home. The bike had to be trucked back to Fairbanks.

These roads are worth our respect and not to be ridden on lightly especially when the weather is wet. I honor you guys for having the courage to draw the line for your own safety and enjoyment when it feels right to do so.
  3. EWood

EWood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ladies, Loving the report! I especially love the Dawson City part. It always seems that you meet such interesting people in off the beaten path places and ADV riding takes us. Keep up the great work and i am so jealous...:cry. I would love to take a month off work and just ride. Take care and be safe. :clap
  4. ksnak

ksnak Duc Gal

Oddometer:
    Yay that your mechanical issue is cured! I forgot to mention in my post last night that I had asked at The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage (had to go there anyway for something) if they might have any ideas as to what the issue could be. They basically scratched their heads and said they'd really need to have a look at the bikes; they've had no reported problems from others about the bike. Anyway good to hear it's a non issue now.

Kathy
  5. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy, i like that. I think ill get them.
  6. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you have to install them, or did Triumph just toss them in with the bikes?
  7. TallRob

TallRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to the website. Its an incredibly easy install. You do not have to remove the wheel. Its a simple wrap system.
  8. Daytonacharlie

Daytonacharlie 2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer:
    I'm not blaming anyone either but... it's pretty easy to get the alignment correct so someone either didn't know what they were doing or was very sloppy with their work.
    Of course both of you know how to adjust your bike's chains yourselves, right? I'd think with the amount or riding and mileage you're putting on these bikes you'd be adjusting them at least every week if not sooner.
    At least the mystery's solved and it's something that should not happen again now that you know what to look for.

Happy Trails,
    dc
  9. ADVwnbe

ADVwnbe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the Dempster!:D
  10. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Will post an update another night but let me tell you this...a rider lost his life yesterday on the Dempster. Today we rode in piss pouring rain from about 40 KM outside Eagle Plains and skated all the way down. This road is so beautiful in the nice weather but it is the most technically challenged riding we have ever done for almost 350 KM. We made it, no dumps and in one piece. Would I do it again..? Maybe not. Was it worth it? Yes.....but seriously this is not a road to screw around with in the rain.
  11. hoebster

hoebster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Soph, the large piles of gravel just outside Dawson City are from the old dredging days when they were looking for GOLD! They would get this stone out of the rivers.
  12. soph9

Oddometer:
    Funny I was just told that...and they are making sub-divisions in and around them. Thanks for the info.
  13. soph9

Oddometer:
    No install just wrap them around your forks....they are amazing and take them off, rinse them and put them back on. Just like that. Simple, cheap and piece of mind. They look good too, that is always a plus!:wink:
  14. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set for mine.
  15. soph9

Oddometer:
    you should let them know you learned about them from our ride....just saying:wink:
  16. Steve Glenn

Steve Glenn Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR and your pictures are spectacular!
  17. tug

tug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad to hear someone lost their life on the Dempster. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am glad you guys made it through without issue.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    On a lighter note:<o:p></o:p>
    If you were in the market for a new 800cc adventure bike and didn't already own the BMW. Which would you buy now?<o:p></o:p>
    Triumph or BMW?????????????????????????<o:p></o:p>
    I am really on the fence on which bike to get and since you seem to be in a very good position to evaluate both bikes your opinion would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
    Bet you didn't think you were going to be a motorcycle critic when you started this adventure.<o:p></o:p>
    Best regards and safe travels.<o:p></o:p>
    Tug<o:p></o:p>
  18. Forty Years Ago

Forty Years Ago I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer:
    No basis for comparison. Our ladies were on F650GS thumpers on their last adventure.
  19. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ??? They were not on thumpers last year.

20. Forty Years Ago

Forty Years Ago I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer:
    Excuse me Sir, you are correct.