People trying to sell a bike for what they bought it for

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
  2. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The price is what ever the buyer is willing to let go of. That's why it's wise to be armed with information,with the net it's very easy to figure what it's worth.:deal
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:

Thats why when buying used always bring cash in 20's and make to sure to show the guy. Its amazing what people will sell things for when you pull out several grand in relatively small currency

:lol3
  4. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe someone created a thread for this...surely the OP can't be that clueless?
  5. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy cheap sell high. Isn't that what the world is all about?
  6. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to buy and restore vintage MX bikes & parts and sell them for way more than what they sold for new. :lol3
  7. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not like I'm losing sleep dude.

I am trying to buy a 400SM from a guy listed at $5000. It has 6K on the clock and he put on 2K of that. He bought it for $5000 and won't sell it for less than $5000. Just sayin' people like this are lame.
  8. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    You aren't selling that 400SM in Denver are you?
  9. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    obviously the only bike anyone should buy is a liter superbike.

there is a reason they,and drs and xls sell so well. the dyno is not the answer for every use.
  10. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the mods and farkling that go into perfectly good new/stock bikes, I can totally see why the seller would want more.
  11. freetors

freetors Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever looked at CL listings for Groms? They are ALL like that. It's just a bunch of kids who bought them on credit, put 200 miles on, poorly modified, and then want to sell it for how much they owe.
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DUH DUDE, don't buy it, Dude.
  13. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be that he just in no hurry to sell it. My guess is that he's thinking that if he waits long enough someone will come along and pay his price, and doesn't really NEED to sell it. No sense in anyone getting upset about it. My brother is like this.......buys stuff cheaply and sits on it until he sells for a big profit. Never over buys to a point where he has to sell because he needs money.
  14. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    Local CL ad has a Honda Elite 110 scooter listed for $2,995.00.

I bought mine new in 2012 for $1,995.00.:freaky
  15. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you own a Honda elite scooter.

So there's that. :wink:
  16. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I saw that one too
  17. raptortrail

raptortrail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto!:cry
  18. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand where YOU get off telling someone else what THIER property is worth.

Sure - if it's a Bad Deal, YOU don't freakin' need to BUY it - but if somebody else wants that exact model, and not bother with a dealer and their bullshit - well, that is THIER BUSINESS, - is it not ? Oh, that doesn't work out in your favor ? Too freakin' bad.

Everybody likes to get a good deal - but where is it written that a seller is supposed to depreciate his property for YOU ???

Say I bought a crappy old bike from an ancient neighbor and put it in order on a fairly modest budget - where the Heck do you get off saying "Oh, you only have a couple grand in that Vincent, it's not worth $ X. "

In other words, Piss off.

Yeah, idiots with poorly modded Kan-O-Tunas that think putting "Over zxy INVESTED" in the ad suddenly make a commodity bike that was questionable to start with now suddenly precious is fairly dumb, but that isn't any of YOUR business there Comrade.
  19. PlainClothesHippy

PlainClothesHippy But a moment's sunshine fading in the grass.

Oddometer:
    A college buddy of mine back in the early '80s started out buying a little Jawa street bike at a low price, then proceeded with a buy low/sell high pattern that ended three years later with a new 750 GPz. His total cash outlay was under a grand for all the bikes put together. We all thought he was a smart guy who knew what he was doing...now I discover he was apparently just a jerk. :lol3
  20. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    CL HAS BECOME a speculative roulette game for many people. Possibly from the early days of the internet when eBay seemed to sell everything finding high prices.
    Anyway, the result, it is a free ad so I can be ridiculous on the hopes a buyer is dumb or impatient.
    Besides many people do not see their junk as the pile of incomplete project that it is.
    Shopping, listed prices are higher than value. Sort of north African bizarre type selling. Seller depends on what he thinks someone might pay, rather than value.