Safe place to carry cell phone

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HappyForNow, Mar 5, 2013.

1. HappyForNow

HappyForNow Banned

Oddometer:
  2. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Left Jacket Pocket!
    Mine is rather dull, so I don't worry about it stabbing me.
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whichever upper jacket pocket is waterproof. I have yet to bash a phone there despite some ugly crashes. I won't carry tools strapped to my body. But my phone doesn't worry me since it lays flat in my pocket.
  4. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    The right front pants pocket is a no-no. DAMHIK.
  5. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    cell phones are unsafe, they emit electromagnetic radiation. They also contain a GPS chip for the purpose of espionage

throw the damn thing away :ear
  6. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I normally wear a water-resistant fanny pack, in the front, that holds my phone, charger, wallet (sometimes) or whatever I would want to get to easily while out riding.

It's not fasionable, but being in the front and mid or lower abdomin, it seems like I wouldn't roll over it much if I was conscious and in a tuck as I rolled out of a get-off. No guarantees, but it works for me compared to the limited space/pockets in many summer mesh jackets.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Invis...TF8&qid=1362517884&sr=1-6&keywords=fanny+pack

Extreme Pak Invisible Pattern Camo Water Repellent Waist Bag

by BF Systems

I'm not a camo-wearing guy, but for function it fit the bill, so it got bought and continues to get used.

But I don't ride a sport bike anymore. With a sport bike the tanks would normally interfere with a pack in the front.
  7. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Tank Bag.

The only things you want to carry on your body are things that will crush before you do. E.G. Hanky, muesli bars, ear plugs...

The things you want quick access too, and don't want to leave parked on the bike should go into your tank bag. E.G. Phone, wallet, camera, pens and paper, maps, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm...
  8. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    plugged in and charging in my rigid tailbox.

"When" I crash, slide off the road, and lay there waiting for help or for the tigers to come eat me, I can listen to tunes for awhile on my iphone, cause it will be totally charged and topped off at the precise moment of IMPACT ! :evil
  9. Eat the Peach

Eat the Peach Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What if you're riding alone and get separated from your bike and are immobile after an accident? Thrown over the side of a hill in an isolated area say, perish the thought! I think it makes sense to always have it in a pocket.
  10. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always keep a communication device on your person so you have it if you and the bike unexpectedly part ways.

I keep my phone in the right side jacket pocket. That pocket is not waterproof and being a KLR rider, I protect the phone from water with the low tech solution of an (off-brand) Ziploc bag.
  11. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    the_sandman_54 beat me to it...

[​IMG]
  12. BuddingGeezer

BuddingGeezer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1000
    Anything carried in a pocket is a potential worse injury. If carried in a jacket pocket is a likely broken rib(s) and the phone will be destroyed anyway. I'm sure glad I had my phone in the tank bag in a 70mph getoff last year. The jacket's spine protector broke 7 of my ribs. Had the phone been carried in the phone pocket of the jacket liner it would have been crushed and I could have added to the broken rib total.
  13. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't crash. :1drink
  14. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    ...pose. :D
  15. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since about 90% of people now carry flat smartphones how would having it in your pocket cause any additional damage over what will happen anyway? I would agree that the pants pocket may be a bad idea but chest pocket? Anything that hits you so hard that the phone causes you damage would of hurt you just as bad without the phone there. It isn't the phone that s the problem it's the crash. Carry it where you want but he screwy logic people use to justify their quirks is mind boggling.
  16. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Carry it with you in your car.
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Having broken a rib by carrying stuff in my pocket I think my justifcation is from an experience I don't want to repeat :evil

Yes you could justify carrying it to say if your were separated from the tank bag you'd not want to crawl back ... but you could also say by carrying it you have more chance of damaging it than there is inside the tank bag? [In my circumstance the rib was broken having saved the perpetrator from all damage, I would have been happier the other way around! :lol3] Swings and roundabouts in all directions. Take your pick. Don't blame us if it would have been better elsewhere .. 'best' is specific to one circumstance.
  18. BobPS

BobPS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carry my cell phone in lower left jacket pocket, been doing that for 11 years now.
  19. DepthFinder

DepthFinder Portly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Left rear pants pocket if I'm expecting work calls, inside left chest pocket otherwise. With the rest of the crap I carry, a pistol on the hip and spare mag in a pocket, not really worried about getting a phone shaped imprint on my ass cheek.
  20. Downs

Downs KK6RBI

Oddometer:
    On my old FJR

[​IMG]

I use the same mount on my F800.