Odd choice maybe, but Wee Strom or Tiger 955?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Yenool, Jan 7, 2012.

1. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I have very unstable relationship with my 07 Wee. On the one hand, this is the wrong design altogether, everything is wrong in this bike, on another hand, its most comfortable, reliable, maintenance free bike as I have owned, ever. And the last part is very much shared by the majority of Wee owners. Try to search for Wee’s average mileage, people reporting trouble free100K are quite common… They do not maintain or love them, they simply ride them.

The only thing Triumph is ahead with is its character. But for me character means problems. Just small ones, like loose wires, leaking gaskets or rusted up calipers, something minor, nothing to speak about, really, but every day.
  2. D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take you pick of pretty much any big traillie bike on this board and you will find people for & against it. Most people who own Triumph Triples do so because of the engines, it is a sound that just gets into your soul. I always read posts about so-called poor reliability with Triumphs, but I have yet to see much in the way of actual proof. Some early 885 models had issues with the sprag clutch if the battery was weak, but that is likely the worst of it and that was addressed years ago. My 885 has roughly 25,000km on it and has needed nothing other than routine maintenance. From what I read/see, the 955i Tigers are about as bulletproof as they come. The good thing about the 955i models is there is pretty good aftermarket support if you want to dress them up a bit too. I love my 885 but that is one drawback, not much in the way of farkles unless you want to go across the pond to find stuff.

IMO, the V-Stroms are like Swiss Army knives. Solid, reliable, practical, good at lots of things but doesn't really excel at anything. Neither bike is likely to disappoint you but they will certainly make you smile for different reasons. Until you have the opportunity to try both out in the flesh, it will be tough to choose.
  3. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    I can report zero leaks in gaskets, no issues with rusted, uhm... anything or any problems at all in 6 years.
    Only standard maint. type stuff, brake pads, tires, oil etc. etc. which you replace on any bike.

And (if it matters to you) the other thing aside from character that differs is horsepower. I see figures online in the 65-70 hp range for MR. Wee. Around 100-125 for the Tiger.....IF that sort of thing means anything to you.

BUt I can tell you it means a grand slide load to me when I am cracking the throttle to get out of the way of giant SUV driving soccer mom more interested in texting than
    driving on the roadway........just saying.

No offense intended amk a riding buddy of mine owns and dearly LOVES his wee strom, puts thousands of miles a month on it. ANd it is a fine bike for him, and maybe for many. Just pointing out price being the same you get more Tiger for your $
  4. Yenool

Yenool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the responses fellas. Some good info. There always seems to be a wee near by, so I'll hold out for a month or two to hopefully be able to find a Tiger to test ride. The closest one I can find right now is just under 300 miles away. Until then my adventures will be limited to the asphalt with my SV.
  5. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    Well, if you like the SV, I have seen some blokes on this site turning SV's into offroad (very capable off road) bikes......just a thought.
  6. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    I find this a very rational choice and have stewed upon it MANY times.
    so far I've stuck with the devil i know...

I find the Tigger a unique entry and Triumph should have kept evolving it instead of trying to switch it to a road warrior.
    Around here, a 955 of the latter years can be quite inexpensive if you catch one - I see maybe four or five up for sale on craigslist per season [which is awful long here... really year-round if you can stand the heat].

everytime I consider it however I think to myself: "what exactly do I GAIN from switching from Weestrom which is all dialed-in at this point, to Tiger?"
    And the answers I come up with are:
    - its different.
    - its probably a much more suitable 2-up ride in the boonies. but I avoid 2-up if/when I can which is most of the time
    - it has more raw power

Other than that, its all downside:
    - worse fuel efficiency
    - a few more issues that must be dealt with
    - wee bit tougher aftermarket
    - not as nimble
    - its heavier - i hate weight
    - the unknown...

7. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say just get whatever you get the best deal with

A year ago in January 2011 I picked up a 2005 Vstrom (DL650) with 8,800 miles for $3900. Not a scratch on it. While I was really looking for the DL1000, there was no way I could have passed up on this deal. And now with my bike fully farkled with crash bars, skid plate, alum panniers, madstad, etc.. my total cost out of pocket has been less than $5000
  8. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    I've ridden and like both.
    I could have bought my bro's squeaky clean, babied V-strom that he doesn't ride much. Instead, I rolled the dice and had a used '06 Tiger shipped from a Ga dealer to me here in Az.
    Glad I did. The Tiger makes me smile, the V-strom just got me down the road.
    My '06 tiger is bone stock as far as I know and it regularly gets 50 mpg. That gives me a longer range than my buddy riding his V-strom.
    Maybe all the other Tigers out there have been modified and don't get 50 mpg.
    The V-strom's realiability is legendary. The Tiger has a couple minor quirks, but for some (most), the power makes up for it.
    I did change out (very easy) the regulator/rectifier to the newer mosfet type as I read the stock one can lead to electrical system problems.
    The other famous issue for the Tiger is the radiator cap. A little challenging to get to. Get a spare. Apparently, they tend to crap out.
    Also, I absolutely had to get the seat modified - Spencer's made all the difference.
    The stock V-strom seat does seem to be more comfy, but then again seats are such a personal thing.
    The passing power of the Tiger on the highway is fantastic.... addictive even. That triple whistle is also a beautiful thing.
    The tranny on the V-strom feels a little smoother. The V-strom headlight might be stronger.
    I will attest, the Triumph will get you more attention at the gas station, especially from older Triumph fans.

Can't go wrong with either. One is more practical, one is more powerful.
  9. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    that's a good MPG figger on the tigger.
    and I agree it is an attention getter. everytime I see one I think what a great looking gnarly thing it is. that is a look that will endure over a long time - it will be like the transalp someday
  10. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    Yep, just looked at some old gas receipts showing 48-50 mpg U.S.
    I think the guy on post #17 made a good point.
    Perhaps the comparo needs to be with the V-strom 1000?
    That might just be the ticket if a guy wants total reliability with power and doesn't need "something different" or thrilling.
  11. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    My 2 pennies

Just got this 2006 wee $2,900 w/3K miles. It was owned by a gal that never rode it. Garage stored. The bike is in showroom condition.

Took it to Death Valley (2k mile round trip) and I love it. I was gonna replace my ADV with new 2012, but now I think I'll hang onto the wee and buy a $12k sport bike. Kinda like 2 for 1!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. sasquatch98

sasquatch98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I normally average 48mpg on my 05 Tiger that has the TOR exhaust and tune.
  13. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    I agree on the mileage, I have the Blue Flame exhaust and average 48 mpg (when I go easy on the throttle---rare--- under "normal" hooligan riding I still get 45mpg.)
    But after reading my previous posts, I felt in all fairness I must state. I am not a rabid Triumph "maniac." I have owned many many brands, including a number of Suzukis over the years, numerous dirtbikes, a rare (and wish I hadn't sold) VX800, 2 Intruders (800 and 1400) a Marauder 800 and a 750 Katana, to a one I had never a single mechanical issue or complaint of any type, WONDERFUL bikes all and I would have anyone of them back in a heartbeat. IMHO I "like" the Tiger over the Strom. BUt its only my opinion. The Tiger is not for everybody, it is Tall, Top Heavy and if you are not skilled it can be a cruel mistress that WILL bite you. It is NOT a beginners bike. I had been riding 27 years before I got my Tiger.
    In the end it really is a matter of what fits YOU and your needs and wallet the best. It doesn't matter if you ride a 250 Ninja or a giant 2300 cc Triumph Rocket 3, it only matters that you get out there and RIDE :D
  14. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    Get the Wee.

First the Wee is NOT slow. Sure an SV650 is quicker, but not much. It covers the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds which is barely 2/10 of a second second slower than the F800GS or Tiger 800. For reference in the mid-eighties an RZ350 ran a 13.5 second 1/4 mile and was considered a crazy fast hooligan bike with its twin cylinder 350cc 2-stroke motor. My 2004 VFR ran a 11.25 second 1/4 mile and did not feel that much quicker to me unless above 9000 RPMs. Finally, few street cars other than exotics and pure muscle cars can do under a 14 second 1/4 mile in stock trim, which either bike can beat ... easily.

The Wee is reliable. Sure it will wear out bearings, shocks, and tires like any bike. But electrical systems, engine, transmission, and basic hardware are extremely reliable in my experience as good as any Japanese bike I've owned. Consequently, you can rev it all day without fear of a break down or a speeding ticket.

A piped Wee will sound good.

A stock Tiger will sound good.

Both good choices, but do not dismiss a modern 650cc twin just because by today's high standards it's spec sheet does not seem very impressive!
  15. Yenool

Yenool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never said the 'zuki motor wasn't fun. I love my SV. The grunt of the V-twin is great! I've never ridden a Triumph Triple and just hear they are awesome. Just based on availability and price I'm def leaning towards a Wee. Just found (aka Trohpy Hunter told me about it) a forum for local san diego dual sporters and a guy on a Vee (1000cc) has been going on some of their rides. So here's to me having a new bike in the next 2 months. :freaky
  16. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    YEs, all very true Zen. And as I stated in previous post its ALL good.

But a "piped" Tiger sounds down right WICKED!!!!:evil

---Sorry, I am totally just being a d*** at this point.--

The Wee is a very capable ride. And certainly tons of fun. Katze got a hell of a deal on his. CHEERS to finding an equally good deal on yours :freaky
  17. CMASCR

CMASCR n00b

Oddometer:
    Just read through the thread. I've ridden a 2006 Tiger since I bought it new in 06. I live in Mississippi and don't use the bike for local (short) rides. I've taken two trips about 1000 miles into Mexico. Ridden across Donner pass in a blizard, cut through Colorado alone on dirt roads and trails and spent a couple of days chasing friends on GS 650s and a Wee Strom around fire trails in Idaho. The bike has been rock solid and great fun on road and off. Currently I'm in the middle of a major suspension overhaul and switching the cast wheels out to spoked wheels. I do have a custom skid plate ready to install but haven't attacked that yet. I run Happy Trail bags (panniers), ROX Risers, Some kind of crash bars I ordered from England and a corbin seat. (That comment about the stock seat being all day comfortable made me laugh). All that adds up to a little over 30,000 miles. I've replaced the chain and sprokets twice, Oil and filter every 3,000 or so miles, installed a K&N air filter and had the valves checked twice but no adjustments needed either time. I will be doing the valves when I get the bike back together this time. The bike is rock solid and runs out in the mountains like a sportbike. It's a blast to ride. It's not the perfect off-road bike (too tall, I'm 5'10" and has too much power) but I wouldn't trade it for a VStrom or GS anything. I like it and it has never had a mechanical issue. The engine is fantastic. I recommend the Tiger over the Strom anyday. I will say the Triumph 800 looks good though.
  18. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    After selling my Wee in the fall, I picked up a 2003 Tiger this week. What a difference.

The Wee was an okay bike, did everything I asked of it, but it lacked soul. The Tiger is just the opposite; the growl of the engine makes me smile. Can't believe I didn't discover this bike years ago.
  19. Yenool

Yenool Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rut-ro
    I test rode a 955i yesterday. I fear there may be no going back. I didn't go "hooligan" on a bike that wasn't mine, but acceleration was very smooth. Didn't seem as abrupt as my SV650S (same engine as VStrom more or less I've read). Less engine braking in the Tiger, but man o man, that thing seems great for what I want to do. Now I still haven't ridden a Strom yet, but that Tiger is enticing. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and see how I feel in a few days...
  20. Hokem Malarky

Hokem Malarky Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought an '01 Tiger back in October and while I haven't had it that long and have only put about 3K on it, it is by far the best bike purchase I have made; it is just an absolute blast to ride.

I wish I would have bought one of these years ago...