KTM 625sxc

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by manoir, Apr 12, 2006.

1. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Chaps
    i am about to buy one of these and cannot find any feed back on any site BIZARRE!!. Has anybody had one any info i wanted a fun bike all terain plus road and easy to ride i had a Lc4 enduro so i know the engine and loved it.
    Just got rid of a manic powerband 2 stroke so was thinking this would be a good replacement for a fun ride without the white knuckle 2 stroke ie a little easy riding on a summers evening but with the grunt there if i want it. Sometimes you just want to ride and enjoy whats around so thought this would be ideal plus trips to town etc

Feed back would be great
  2. Texmoto1

Texmoto1 Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer:
    That bike is BIG, real BIG. My Brother had an XR650R(Damn Big Bike) and we rode with a guy on a 625. The 625 dwarfs the 650! If you are into anything but Desert riding, I would not recomend the 625. Thats just me though, if I am on tight single track I want 450 size or less. If you are talking desert though, that 625 might be the bomb. To me that bike is just too big and heavy for anything else. The real place to look for opinions would be on www.thumpertalk.com . They are geared more twords the 4 stroke dirt bikes than this site is.
  3. DEANGELIS

DEANGELIS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was sketchy buying my Supercomp but...

Now I can't ride anything smaller. Big power, tall seat is the only way I'll fly from now on. I'm only 5'7" so I can't really lay it over like my CR but I'm still thrilled in every way with the bike.
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    hard to read... :cry brain hurts... :cry fixed. :lol3

You had an LC4e? Almost exactly the same bike. I believe the only differences are the SXC comes with a pumper carb (FCR), SXC exhaust, and... that's about it eh?

I believe it's the Supermoto version that comes with a different swingarm (for the wider supermoto rims) and different offset on the triple clamp.

There are others around that can discuss this bike in greater detail, but they might have been disuaded by your post's grammer... :amazon
  5. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I have an 03 640 Enduro & a couple of weeks ago I had a go on a 625. It was pretty much what you'd expect from looking at the specs - A little lighter, a little more pep from the FCR carb & SXC pipe, a little narrower with the smaller tank, a little more suspension travel, a little more vibey with the hard mounted bars, a bit taller, a slimmer harder seat. Basically the 640 Enduro's evil dirty twin.

Big fun for more open offroad riding. As texmoto1 says, not a real tight singletrack machine, but if you're big that won't be so much of an issue.

Some of the US models came with the BST carb, & the later models carry more oil like the 640E

Cheers
    Clint
  6. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    That and less oil capacity. :brow
  7. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure whats wrong with my grammer but if you check the KTM specs you will find a lot different kilos discs metal etc at least thats the case with the version for sale in France but hey it could be there grammer!!!
  8. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    No sorry i did not look in the LC4 section appologies i now feel so very small that perhaps i should ask about a 50cc suzuki!!! heard that question?
  9. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    50cc Suzuki!!! :super Those bikes rock.

I see that some good folks have shown up to help you with the comparsion. You are in good hands. Now if only the Grammar Nazi would show up and help you with your english. (ChrisC is the Spelling Nazi - does he double as the Grammer one too? :dunno)
  10. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Not the '05 I rode - same system as the E & Adv. Earlier model SXC's didn't have the oil in frame though.

Cheers
    Clint
  11. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    No shit?

They stopped selling SXCs in the US after '04, so maybe KTM decided to upgrade the SXC for other countries, as they seem to be ridden quite a bit on the street in Europe.
    Or, commonize the LC4 series across the board with the extra oil capacity.

Just a WAG on my part.

C
    overlander likes this.
  12. txrider

txrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your used to an LC4 the SXC is a little lighter, a little more powerful, feels a little nimbler. I like mine, at 225lbs and 6'3" it suits me great, a little slow in tight woods but it'll do it and I have fun at it.
  13. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    That would be Kelsey Grammer?

[​IMG]

Thanks Meat.... :cry
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Don't beat yourself up mang, you ain't as bad off as you thunk:

[​IMG]

the word 'augmented' comes to mind...
  15. bcutter

bcutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Meat,
    I have a 625 for now over a year, and for running down the road, esp gravel, there is none better. More power than anyone needs. Dirt-bike handling. I agree that it is a little big for tight singletrack. I put a 'KOUBA link on mine and lowered it a bit. Unless you're over 6'1" you'll have trouble touching uneven ground in the woods, so I lowered mine a couple of inches,just enough. I always went down the road on my road bike, and looked at gravel roads that went by, and wondered where they went. Now I don't have to wonder, I just take off and find out. A GREAT adventure bike. I am going to take mine on the Trans-America trail this month( Misssissippi to Oklahoma) www.springtat.com.
  16. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys
    i am off to the dealer on Sat morn to buy my bike and i still cannot decide 640E or 625 sxc same engine slightly diff specs. But one last question , on a lot of these forums there is talk of the LC4 ending its life and a new version for 07 if this is true do you think it could be a problem down the line to get parts and plastics for LC4s up to 06 ?. My 250 exc r 03 model has been a problem here in Europe as you cannot get any new plastics for it.
    As ever i am new here and learning the ropes so i appologise in advance for any bad grahmmyher or speiklling!!! or double double posts
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Since it sounds like the oil capacity might be similar now, the only real difference I see between the two is the SXC is tuned higher than the Enduro, particularly with the FCR carb and SXC exhaust (not sure which can the Enduro gets over there).

If that is the case then the only suggestion I can offer is based upon a difference between those two carbs that a fella who probably has more experience than the rest of us with carbs and bikes (I let him introduce himself, if'n I don't misquote him I guess :lol3) told me once.

He said in regards to the FCR (SXC) vs. the BST (Enduro) that the FCR is indeed the higher performance carb in terms of throttle response. If it's the FCR39 then the rest of the performance should be similar to the BST40; if it's the FCR41 than the performance curve will bias towards the top end (sacrificing the low and midrange). Some of that is gleaned from other discussions...

You will read many who say the FCR is necessary; well perhaps it is for some riding styles, but many find the BST's performance quite acceptable. In fact a well setup BST is purported to allow second gear wheelies. I wonder if the folks who couldn't accomplish these did not properly setup their bikes, including (perhaps) a rear suspension that was too soft and absorbed too much of the power during attempted liftoff (via compression). Some of these are my own thoughts, so reader beware. :lol3

But the meat (:D) of his comments to me was this: if you are a newer off-road rider (beginner for sure, novice probably, perhaps even intermediate? :dunno), the gentler power characteristics of the BST will compensate for the rider's lack of throttle control and actually help mitigate their lack of skill. The more abrupt FCR throttle response can actually be a liability for a nOOb trying to keep traction or even control variable loss of traction (power turns?).

Not only that but a properly tuned BST will always be more efficient than a properly tuned FCR, so your tank range will be longer. And the BST is less sensitive to altitude changes so should find more flexibility in a given setup when climbing the Alps :evil

Plus chicks dig a fella who do has enough self esteem to pass on unnecessary bling bling... :amazon

Now that I have taken what were probably some carefully worded comments and thoroughly run amok with them he will probably show up and slap me about! :uhoh

PS - regarding the LC4's 'rumored' end of days. I doubt it. KTM has not suffered from it's dogged reliance upon the 'ole LC4 - still winning plenty! I would guess that there will be tweaks, but probably nothing significant enough to cause your bike to become obsolete enough for the parts chain to shut down. Just guessing on my part.
  18. manoir

manoir n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your time Meat Popsicle i think i will take your advice and go with the Enduro LC4 i had one for two years but never really went hell for leather off road as it was my road bike also but now i have the 950 A i can be a little more reckless well maybe!!
    cheers
    CycleJunkie likes this.
  19. Roarin

Roarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother has the LC4 Enduro. I rode his & had to have one. All the dealer had here in Australia was the 625 SXC. This thing rips. Mine is an '05 model -I bought it new in Feb this year. It has the oil in the frame -2.2 litres capacity. Also has an extra oil jet to help cooling. The FCR Keihn flatslide is a beauty. Crisp instant throttle response. The 640 has got a little more urge on about the first 1/4 throttle opening. After that my 625 just runs away. It feels lighter to ride. Also has the more competition orientated aluminium silencer. I dropped a bit more cash on mine & fitted the 18 litre tank & comfort seat. You only notice the extra weight when the tank is chock full & you are pushing the bike out of the shed or doing a U turn at 5 km/hr. Will still lift the front up in 2nd gear just on the gas with a full tank. A little bit more effort required in 3rd gear:lol3 It is the best thing I have ever owned. The only problem I have with mine is trying to keep rear tyres on it:evil I ride mine as a true duel sport -ridden to where I want to ride, flogged around the dirt all day & then ridden home. Happily cruises on the road at 110 -120km/hr as far as you want. I love my KTM:clap
  20. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Just talked to one of the local dealers and they said they could special order the 07 ...Into the US....
    Not sure on price yet..
    Once I sell off my other (2) bikes. I will fill you in...

Check with your dealer, unless he has a 640 on the floor They should be able to order one for you....

KTM might even be shipping them into the US next year.. who knows.