Catskill Park/Region Tag-O-Rama

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Catskill, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    I believe you are long over due for a Catskills' Region Game of Tag! So here you go!

First Tag!!

[​IMG]

Go Get it!

HINT#1
    [​IMG]
    HINT#2
    [​IMG]

HINT#3
    [​IMG]

Since it's the first tag I will give out GPS coordinates to anyone who asks.

Rules:
    (Shamelessly ripped from Wiseblood who shamelessly ripped from HamSandwich's Big Apple ToR rules.)
    1. Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). YOUR BIKE MUST BE IN THE PICTURE. Take the tag to a new location preferably more than a mile from the previous post, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Or you can have them follow you there. If the tag is Googleable (yes I made that word up) cool, if not, make the clues clear and easily understood.
      • Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history, scenery and that can be found down some enjoyable riding roads.
    2. Tag must be: a) findable, b) not placed on a trail that only a dirt bike can get to, however, DIRT ROADS (unpaved roads) ARE ACCEPTABLE. c) Accessible for more than a few hours during the day (i.e. a road is only open 2 hours a day = No Good. Location is only open on weekends = No Good. The road is only open from 8am to 6pm = OK but let people know that when posting the tag.) .
    3. The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. Time stamped photos don't mean anything. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.
    4. One tag at a time. File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game. However, as long as you take the photo the same day you take nab the current tag, it is acceptable. In other words if you get the new tag on the way to the old tag, it is still valid. What is not valid is if you take a photo out of a file on your computer from the same spot last year and post it as the new tag.
    5. No whining :nono Ya right. There are plenty of folks here that will help you understand the rules:lol3
    6. If the photo is un-questionably duplicated the new tag may be posted immediately. If it is questionable (i.e. the gate was locked so the picture is a bike in front of a locked gate)The holder of the tag determines if the tag has been duplicated and acknowledges it by posting on the thread. (Surrendering the Tag) If the holder does not reply within 12 hours its up to the active (guys that have tags) game players. If two members or more agree the tag is good than it is. This game moves fast. Lets keep it that way.
    7. The person who is responsible for posting the next tag has 48 hour to do so with the exception of foul weather (heavy rain, snow).
    8. Should the tag holder fail to post the new tag within the 48 hours someone will need to get the previous tag and post a new one within 48 hours.
    9. If there were two people that got the tag and the person who got it first fails to post within the 48 hours the person who posted second may post a new tag.
    10. If possible, try to add a little history or trivia to the tag.
    11. Repeat Tags will be accepted one calendar year after they have been originally tagged!
    Map of outlined region to follow....

*Edit to Add Radar Map and searchable weather link*

[​IMG]

Type the zip code of the tag, in the box below and press "go"
    <!-- Start WxSticker --><!-- Start WxSticker -->
    <table style="border: 1px solid rgb(153, 153, 153); width: 271px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">[​IMG]
    </td></tr><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">[​IMG]
    [FONT=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]http://icons-pe.wxug.com/graphics/smash/htmlsticker/html_linkBG.gif); text-align: left;">Plan your trip
    Local Radar
    Detailed Forecast
    [​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    <form action="http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast" method="get" target="_blank" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 0px; text-align: center;"><input name="bannertypeclick" value="htmlSticker" type="hidden"><input name="query" value="Find Weather" onfocus="this.value=''" style="width: 85px;" type="text">
    <input name="GO" value="GO" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(204, 204, 204) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(0, 0, 0) rgb(204, 204, 204); border-width: 1px; width: 50px; background-color: rgb(0, 0, 136); color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 12px; font-weight: bold;" type="submit">
    </form>
    </td><td style="vertical-align: top;">[​IMG]
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <!-- End WxSticker -->

<!-- End WxSticker -->
    stbob likes this.
  2. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Proposed Boundaries....

[​IMG]
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Ok...:shogI can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not... :ear If you guys have already tagged most of that region then I guess it will not be any fun to play...

This is not straight up dirt tag. Since, some/most of the paved roads up here are in worse condition than the unpaved ones, I loosened up the guidelines so they don't exclude unpaved roads...

I'd like to keep it close to within the Catskill park
    [​IMG]

and/or with in the Catskill/Deleware
    New York City Watershed region...

[​IMG]

I know there's some really, really cool shit in those green boundaries (the oldest tree fossils on earth for example!) but I also know how easy it is for me to just make a left out of the driveway and before I know it I'm in Cooperstown calling my husband to tell him I'm still Alive...:lol3

So I'm open for suggestions to move the boundaries from where I set them...Tag's no fun unless other people are playing.:webers

So far, some of the places I want to tag are too far away to fall into the Hudson Valley TOR region and I'm not going to do an overnight trip to try and catch the Empire State TOR....so I guess I really started this TOR...
    [​IMG]
    for selfish reasons! :toney

However, I've been on two wheels for 4 years now and whenever I tell people where I live they're always like "Oh there's some really nice riding roads up there." I couldn't agre with them more, so......I'm guessin' some people might be interested in playing.
  5. Boatman

Oddometer:

I've been known to snipe tags outside my own region when unsuspecting tagger least expect it. :D

I just threw the Dirt Tag in because it's within your TOR area and may spark some interest.

Looks like you girls are hooked and will be a TOR force this season.:thumb
  6. justme23005

justme23005 Long timer

Oddometer:

I went to school about a mile from those fossils :-)
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
  8. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Well there is now :D

...It's amazing how many "former sites" there are in the Watershed region, isn't it?

Todays' rain is only supposed to be spotty, if that, around 1 and 5....

Looks like the Rain is going to hold off for a while today in that area.

FORECAST

Extra credit if anyone can tell me the name of the main town that is buried below the first tag. :deal
  9. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah dude, Petersburgh is totally with in reach of the Catskill Region.:pynd

I'd like to get some different, dual use, tires on the big yellow beasty and I'm saving up for a light kit for my ttr250 so I'm definitely glad you brought the dirt tag to my attention.
    :ricky

GrlRyder and I both work in the same field which is very competative but also requires excellent navigation skills, route planning skills and a healthy dose of adventure. We are both "on call" most of the time but often the field (smart phone in hand) is our office...That "field" includes most of the Hudson Valley and Catskills Region so we have kind of been trained to do well at this game. We are also both used to having to drop everything, at a moments notice and run to meet a client at a given GPS location...
  10. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm all over this TOR. I used to consult for the NYC DEP, and my responsiblities were the IT Operations for the Watershed region.

God I miss my "commute"....

11. Boatman

Oddometer:

I grew up in Rhinebeck and had a facination of the Catskills so I know the area pretty well.

Keep up the good work.. :thumb
  12. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Cool. Last time I was there was at the AMA show at the fair grounds last year. Nice trip down peekamouse road to get there.

Sweet. If they are looking for anyone to do reconnaissance and circle their reservoirs and take pictures for security measures you be sure to put in a good word for me! :lol3

By the way I stopped by the tag on my way home today to check on it and it's still there...doing just fine...waiting...:wink:

[​IMG]
  13. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    doin a little better at this one then the hudson valley tag :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    :clap Congrats on your first Tag! (and your new bike) I really dig that green.:evil
  15. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New Tag !!!!!

thought i'll keep the reservoir theme going. Below is booger enjoying the icy view. if a better clue is needed let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks... i had a feeling i was going to loose that HV tag and since i was right there i couldn't resist grabbing this one as well ... the booger likes racking up miles also :ricky
  17. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    No clue needed here. I noticed the ice receeding when I passed by there this evening...

This was last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm tempted to ride the 10 minutes it takes me to get there but I just sat down and finished a nice big glass of [​IMG]
    so I don't think that's a good idea...

Once again, I love that green. I hafta admit that model bike never appealed to me. But I've never seen it in that color before...I think I want one now.
  18. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
  19. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
  20. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Were you over that way? After thinking about it,,, that area got hammered this winter