Motorcycle Magazines/Books (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rhino boy, Sep 5, 2002.

1. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Most mags seem to focus on sports bikes, cruisers or tourers, or MX - some cover 3 out of the 4, but I can't find one with a dual roads focus - any ideas or suggestions?
  2. jwin

jwin Slow Learner

Oddometer:
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    I hate DSN
  4. jonny

jonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check out RoadRUNNER magazine very cool, 60% dual with road trips mixed in (usually on big duallies)published in the states by bunch of austrians now residing in the carolinas, they tend to favor bmws and ktms (can you blame them) lots of cool ride reports such as sahara on a ktm adv and texas hill also on ktm adv, raod trip to tennessee on tiger and that was just last quaters, another cool thing is that all the rides have maps in the back of mag that tear out for placement in you tank bag now how cool is that, after 2 issues i had to subscribehttp://www.magazania.com/id/1000/group/3073
  5. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks, unfortunately the subscription service does not allow for non-US citiizens to subscribe - pretty dumb when it's on-line - anyway, before I get to carried away, do you have a direct address or email address that I can contact.

Cheers
  6. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    The only (?) mag in OZ with any thing like dual sport is 'sidetrack' - comes out about every 2 months (though that has been ummm errr well random would be a good description) ... it is a fairly good read, but single track would be a better description :): They tend to concentrate on single cyclinder bikes, central camp trips ... that kind of thing. All well and good but I'm more into dirt touring.

Last issue had a write up of the bm GS adventure... but they had a suport vehicle - sota like HD rides with that vehicle at the back :rofl
  7. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank - I know the magazine and have met TK a couple of times. All these magazines suffer from one major thing - a lack of independent review. they are in the thralls of bike manufacturers and it often shows!
  8. jonny

jonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i keep my mgazines at work so i can day dream all day, but i will get you a direct address and phone number to the mag itself as soon as i can
  9. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Many thanks
  10. Will

Will Carpe Moto.

Oddometer:
    There is a new mag out, REV. They pitch themselves as "real world off-road motorcycling." September 2002 is the only second issue but so far they show promise. Not specifically dual-sport but they don't try to tell you how to do the triple-jump on your factory race replica either. Nice balance. No web site though.

REV magazine
    PO Box 424
    Mt. Morris, IL 61054-0424

6 issues per year, $7.67 for a year (add $6 outside the U.S.)
  11. jonny

jonny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here is the email address www.RRmotorcycling.com and the phone number is 336-766-3569 its a cool mag but i dont know how much will apply down under but they do international tours and they also have reader contibutions who knows maybe you can show us all the great riding were missing out on i hope one day to tour the land of OZ
  12. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Again big thanks, let me know when you wan't to come to land of OZ, happy to make suggestions.
  13. dakar200

dakar200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello riders, just woundering anybody check out this adventure bike mag.
    pic up a copy last night. it's great has ride trips,gear revews,and new products. it's about time a mag for advriders like us. :thumb :freaky :lol3
  14. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link or title?

Thanks,

Richard
  15. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :confused
  16. Different Drummer

Different Drummer On The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    :huh
    Can't look if I don't know what to look for. :wink:
    Link or Name of Magazine?
    DD
  17. dakar200

dakar200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Different Drummer

Different Drummer On The Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    a review of a 2002 Interceptor? "Epic Rides" is a Buell Thunderbolt ?? Favorite Rides is a Duc 999R?!?? A contact link that is a `mailto:` with no email address? broken links?

looks like Motorcyclist to me. :huh
  20. Blackpaw

Blackpaw Peter

Oddometer:
    I like race bikes, but not always interested about reading all the details that fill 1/2 of all the magazines I see. I am not into the whole Easy Rider stuff either, so I prefer stuff more specific to what I am interested in. I see there is Dual Sport News and I was curious good the magazine is before I get a subscription.