DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tadaa! http://www.drbig.info/tiki-index.php

It's new and I think owner based in the UK, but already I missed out on a bargain. Tanks and a whack of spares for £90! Dang! Spotted Ladder there too.
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    :clap Just registered :freaky
  3. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know!:wink:
  4. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my rack. You can remove it without the subframe dropping.

[​IMG]
  5. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The extra oil cooler. Also a good shot of the crash bars.

[​IMG]
  6. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My new start switch and the exhaust I will be putting on hopefully in the near future. First I have to design and weld up a custom mid pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see the new throttle I had to put on. I broke the old one working on it when it was too cold outside. Made the plastic very brittle much to my surprise. I ended up getting a Motion Pro throttle for CR but the cable didn't fit. Cable end was too small (8mm VS 10mm hole). I paid a visit to my machinist friend with my dilemma. He already had the aluminum stock in his lathe and cranked me out an insert in about 5 min.

Works like a charm.
  7. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm paging through my little black book. Somewhere someone must be able to just make me a pair...

Looking good there Jack:D
  8. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    "Set of upside down forks to fit DR750 (possibly 800).

KLX650R USD forks with custom spacers to fit DR wheel (DR wheel & brake disc included if needed!).

I have a new set of fork seals to go with them. Oh yes and this includes the KLX yokes - the bearings and stem length are correct for the DR"

Thinking of buying these. What's the score on how they'll fit the 800? :ear
  9. DRParbo

DRParbo DR BIG Suriname

Oddometer:
    That exhaust is from a Hyabusa single.
    That road is about 50 Kms from the city. And was heading a mix of savanne san and some bauxite that day.
    Still have to look at how you posted the picture on the forum.
    Greets
    DRParbo:norton
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    They fit fine (I have put them on the 750 and the 43B), you can even bolt the key barrel using one of the two bolts as well as the choke lever. You only have to loose and reweld the steering lock stoppers on the 800 frame. Only downside is the increased offset of the KLX system compared to the stock which dictates an increase of the rear preload to achieve neautral steering. The bike is solid as a rock. I have used W7.5 oil instad of the W5 oil needed for the klx forks. If you fit them on 750 you need to use the dr top head bearing, the bottom ones are identical to both klx nad dr.
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray_rev, check it out with guy selling - see, it says KLX650R forks. R, not C. R forks are quite a lot better than C forks and fully adjustable. If you can snap it - it would be more than good upgrade.
  12. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. By testing I found a wire that's just about been cut thru and probably shorting out against the crankcase. It was the orange pickup wire. I haven't put it back together yet but I hope this is the problem. Will let you know if it's ok.
    Cheers,
    ausibatla
  13. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    .....fingers crossed.....
  14. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No luck mate. Fixed it up by soldering just to cover my arse. Everything else looked clean and intact. Put it all together again and still no spark. It looks as though I'll have to trailer it up to Perth to see my mate the MC auto electrician. He can't fit me in 'till the end of next week so I'm just going to have to wait to hear the old girl sing.
    Cheers,
    ausibatla
  15. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's hard luck.:huh Hang in there - I'm out of a ride now for 5 weeks and counting. I've got an itch!:wink: :evil
  16. Molgan

Molgan nub

Oddometer:
    5 weeks? Try 5 months. :cry Hope the snow melts up here soon..
  17. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    CDI? Find the same bike and switch them to check.
  18. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi uberthumper

The track officials made me take it off as I had the same thought as you

In regards to track days I now have a dilemma as the DR was really just a guinny pig to try out though in the wet it would be quite a track weapon, so now Ive got to decide my next move,
    My mates all tell me to get a sports bike for track but I'm not sure if Ill be able to adapt to one easily,
    [​IMG]
    there are some great buys if you go for a dedicated track bike and I don't imagine Id have any interest in riding one on the Road, Either that or Ill buy a big bad Dirt bike Like a KTM 950 adventure and stop those 1000s passing me on the straights, though I'm not sure if the DR will be happy about sharing the garage with an orange bike

The DR is already faster than one needs in NZ if you want to keep your Licence and to be quite honest, The Road annt a Race Track and I'm finding now that I can easily ride outside of line of sight in corners which is just stupid if you want to stay in one piece, so Id prefer to take it semi mellow on the Road and leave the Racing for the Track, Any thoughts
  19. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch!:huh
  20. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome chris3155 were are you from ( for our stats )

Guys interesting comments on comparisons with other similar bikes youve owned so far DRBigs are better than Africa Twin . Varadaro. Ta ( whats a Ta ) and Tennier , I have ridden AT and Tennier and would agree,

I have found that the DR is a good tourer as long as I cap my loud mufflers ( bolt on end Covers I made ) and is rather smooth also, but if I remove them for anything but track day or short rides the noise vibration drives me mad and the sound pulse makes the bike very unsmooth, so for long runs mufflers capped shes great, regards to power and road handling I think the DR is better than most bikes Ive ridden if the speeds are under 150kph, when I swapped with my friends CB1300 I found I had to slow down slightly going into the corners due to its higher centre of gravity and less accurate more nervous steering, O yes the CB has power but not much more than the DR at normal speeds , and my friend didn't want to get off the DR and said he could easily own one ( I think he liked it )

Pic, at Waihi Gold mine you can see caps over ends of exhaust if you look hard, how would you like to ride along those ridges A http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Waihi,+New+Zealand&sll=-36.839103,174.765701&sspn=0.058526,0.074673&g=Auckland,+New+Zealand&ie=UTF8&ll=-37.386458,175.839529&spn=0.030689,0.037336&t=h&z=14
    [​IMG]