Adventure bike ride 4th/5th may Hill End NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by threadersmal, Apr 25, 2013.

1. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing something this weekend as to EXACT plans i have NO IDEA never done the ride before & really dont have any idea of route yet

Rough plan is leave Sydney at approx 11am(from my work Narrabeen) and head up to Zig Zag then onto Caprtree Via BFH trail then onto Sofala & then to Hill End & stay the night then head home on Sunday(or stay in Sofala depend on time)

Dont want a too large a group due to leaving late Saturday afternoon

I am on a KTM 640 anyone else keen for an Adventure

Mal
  2. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    There's a trip leaving at the end of May as well if you're keen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram @vorsty_
  3. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i know mate but i have that weekend free :D

Want to use this as you pre ride :1drink

mal
  4. live4daride

live4daride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm busy sunday, but if 'm free sat arvo, i could meet you at zig zag and show you part of the way. Seeing as you're leaving late and there is no daylight savings, you wont have too much time to be looking at maps.

I'll actually be coming back thru Hillend from the other side this Sunday,and have done a few rides around the area the last few weeks, so i'm starting to get to know the area. If you bring some maps i can point out some good routes.

Shame you're not available this weekend, the weather looks to be perfect.:clap:freaky
  5. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be great :clap

mal
  6. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    I've got my boy that weekend so I can't. It's a bugger, I'd love to do another pre run.

Instagram @vorsty_
  7. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look out for roo,s best to stop riding a hour before sundown, there are plenty out this way, you just never know when the buggers are going to jump out in front of you , with thick scrub you don,t even see them I have had them dart out and hit the bike side on . :eek1.
    The upper Turon bit where the track is narrow and now getting a bit over grown is getting very knarly and rocky, good lights may help.
  8. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i know late start but i have NO choice in that thanks for the heads up

Mal
  9. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    +1 on the knarly and rocky statement. It would be very hairy doing that section in the dark.

Instagram @vorsty_
  10. live4daride

live4daride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When it comes to Roo's, Always aim for the tail.

Instead of just shear panic, it gives you a chance to aim for something, and hopefully keep some composure. Hopefully by the time you reach the tail, the Roo has moved out of the way.

Might not be fool proof, but its got me out of trouble a few times.
  11. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working next 10 days straight, then one day off then another 8, then one day off, then 5......

Be a while before it settles again, the joys of being a casual worker, either feast or famine (usually famine though) on the work front.
  12. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok myself & Craig from DBW are off on Saturday we have a plan of sorts :rofl

and will get to hill end and back :freaky

Report to come

mal
  13. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Pack your woolly's.
  14. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Unless like me you're insulated with a think layer of whale like blubber to keep you warm.

15. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    10-10.30 at the zig zag if your up for it

Mal
  16. pvmoto

Oddometer:
    How was the ride boys? Lots of pics I hope.
    How was the rocky section of Turon Gates road? Have they graded it at all?

17. Scotty4x4

Scotty4x4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went up there about a week ago and it wasn't worse than it wa last time. The road in from the highway to those retreat lodges has all been graded. That graded I almost drove my car over a shiny BMW cutting blind corners and going way to fast.
  18. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saturday

Meet Craig at the Zig Zag a quick introduction & we were off.
    This is the first time that i have had the 640 Off road so it was a new learning experience for me.
    We headed off to Blackfellas hand trail but not before a quick detour to the Lost City as Craig had never seen it.
    Blackfellas hand was uneventful with me out front & craig behind trying to keep out of the dust.The only traffic was a couple of 4WD right at the end.

We than had a small rest before entering the Garden of Stone National park & what i remember a good rocky up hill section.I ended up picking the wrong line so i though & with Craig already up this section I ended up pointing & shooting & the 640 went up with ease.Pretty sure i just have to trust it more.

We then had a stop at the lookout with some 4wders which we meet further up the track at the steep rock hill section were a dirt biker was on his 2-3 attempt at trying to get up the hill. We keep to the left and dropped off & continued on.

Onto Caprtree for lunch at the pub & low & behold a table of 4 DBWers out for a ride.

Craig Topped up his tank here & then we were off to what I think was the best part of Saturday. Turon Gates is a fanstatic ride on the bike or 4wd for that matter.I loved that ride to Sofala its what the 640 loves & for me I had never done this track so looking forward to getting back there.

We then hit the black top to Hill End were a few Cold beers at the pub first before heading off to the Ranch & our accommodation.The pub was FULL with 25 odd road bike riders ,We headed back there for Dinner and a whole heap of bench racing & what was a BIG night.

Bridle Track in the morning but first I need some sleep

More to come later

Mal
  19. Toy Rolex

Toy Rolex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mal it's a small world,

A mate on a 1250 Bandit, my son on a YZF-R6 Yamaha sports bike and myself on a DL650 ended up staying at the Ranch on Saturday night and a big night was had at the pub.

Our trip started as a road ride on Friday from Sydney through the National Park and Gerroa Rd to Nowra, Goulburn, Grabben Gullen, Gunning for dinner and out to the the Royal at Dalton for a few more then on to my place.

We left Dalton about 11.30 am on Saterday and headed to Molong where the locals told us we would never get across the river at Long Flat on road bikes, "so that was it", we were going to give it a try.:clap

We took the Belgravia Rd to Mullion Creek then down Long Flat road where we met some Roo shooters who also advised not to try the river crossing.

Well we got to the crossing just on dark, when the R6 made it with ease we knew we had made the right decision to push on, there were quite a few Roo's out but we hit the Ranch about 6.30 and the pub at 7.30.

On Sunday we had a late breakfast in town and took the Bridle Track back to Bathurst and then on to home in Sydney.

A the gate on the Bathurst end of the Bridle we met up with a guy testing the new KTM 1190, he was in love and said out of the box it is twice the bike the 990 is.

I must say I was very impressed with my young son on the R6, he had it sideways a quite few times and used the full extent of the the bikes suspension but he never slowed once, even on the dirt he was a match for me and the DL.
  20. threadersmal

threadersmal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How good was the night at the pub it was HUGE :freaky

Yep small world we had the en suited Railway carriages not bad at all

Mal