Tiger 800 problems; for reference only please

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Rob Dirt, Apr 18, 2012.

1. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Thanks Browneye. I'm away on holidays at the moment so replies depend on Wifi. Currently in Oludeniz, Turkey and the 800XC is going superbly. Super smooth and super comfortable.:clap

Although I did have an encounter with a wash out.
    [​IMG]
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I thought this also until I started consulting real suspension experts like Maxton and Reactive Suspension, here in the UK. They told me that the real problem is that the compression damping is far too harsh. It's not allowing the suspension to react to the small undulations in the road so the tyre ends up doing the work by bouncing along. It seems to happen at a certain speed because it's worse when the bonce finds the natural frequency of the tyre.
    To prove that they're right I'm now running Maxton fork internals and a Nitron shock with harder springs front and rear and the ride is sublime and the "bounce" is completely gone.
  3. nouhlaC

nouhlaC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have currently 4 motorcycles and the Tiger has a lot of Comp dampning with makes the front very harsh on squared bumps. When I can afford it I'm going to try Racetech Gold Valves...
  4. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    It's a bolt...thru the frame mounting tangs and engine case. You need a wrench on each side. Right side is an allen-head IIRC. I removed both shifter and brake pedal to gain access, remove nut on left, tighten spacer collet with BFS (big f'ing screwdriver LOL), replace bolt and torque to spec. Vibes gone. :deal
  6. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow well now I just feel like a dumb ass! :lol3 thank you browneye.
  7. btao

btao Adventure is out there!

Oddometer:
    Every time I work on my bike, I notice that the pivots for things like the pegs have been wearing very quickly. The problem is that those are just solid pins that go into welded bosses on the frame, and now after 6000 miles, they are already oblong and have 1/4" of wiggle at the end of the peg. I don't try to leave that area dirty and wash it semi-regularly. It just seems like it's going really quick, and hate to think of what it will look like at 20,000 miles. I'm not even sure how this would get fixed? I've thought about drilling them to size and putting some bronze or igus flanged bushings in there with a shoulder screw.

Has anyone else noticed this?
  8. btao

Oddometer:
    Also made some stainless steel spacers to fill the giant gap between the wheel spacers and bearing seals.

From day 1 the spacers would fall right out as there wasn't even enough seal contact to retain them. Plus if it did make contact, they are unanodized and wore a grove instantly.

[​IMG]

Another case of poor quality control... [emoji20]
  9. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Don't blame the quality inspector, blame the engineer, they designed it.:puke1
  10. onetire

onetire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about machining new spacers also. Did you make them a little larger diameter for better seal contact? Mind sharing your dimensions?
  11. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are pretty worn too... wanna sell some?? :deal
  12. btao

Oddometer:
    pm me your email, I'll shoot you the prints... models too if you CNC for pleasure...
  13. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem on my DR-Z400S until someone started selling spacers made of stainless. Wonder if anyone will do this for the Tiger.
  14. btao

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know on Monday when the boss gets back if I can moonlight (or daylight at lunch) :wink:
  15. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted...
  16. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :deal
  17. Bikenstitches

Bikenstitches Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2 :ear
  18. btao

Oddometer:
    Sooooo those nice new spacers I made at the high side of the tolerance? Still a gap! Wtf. Going to the auto parts store to get proper seals......
  19. slobinski

slobinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The replacement sensor finally arrived nearly two weeks after I ordered it, and being a new version, (4wires rather than 3) came with an additional cable and no instructions.

Fortunately a guy on another board had recently tackled this installation: http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,12616.0.html?PHPSESSID=f15c4f9ee2614692f45640fdd4a2e801 (sorry about all the gibberish).

It's much simpler than it sounds. Install the new sensor, plug in the 4-wire connector to the cable, plug the shorter 3-wire cable to the existing connector. Run the remaining length of cable to the throttle position sensor, then unplug the sensor cable. One end of the new cable plugs into the TPS, the other to the existing TPS cable. Done. Hopefully this one will last longer than the original (26,000 miles).
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad you chimed in Slobinski. My gear position indicator starting going out at about 1500 miles and finally got it replaced. Also got throttle bodies resynched and oil pan gasket. The great part, no labor bill to remove and reinstall Altrider crash bars and Triumph sump guard. All is well. I still need to check that vibration nut. Just haven't gotten around to it and now have a shit load of parts coming in to fix shit on the wife's bike.

Forgot to say I am glad you mentioned the part changed. Maybe it will last longer. Dealer didn't say anything about it being different.