Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    You both ought to try the -20 setting, just to make sure that you're getting the most from the IICE Air. We have found that in most cases it works best.

JJ
  2. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

Had the same mileage experience at -10 and used it for many months at that setting. But eventually, I settled for -20 after realizing that I get a smoother transient fueling at that setting.
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's really interesting, from what before to what after?
  4. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    My only goal is to eliminate pinging on leading throttle. I think my engine goes lean in open-loop. Whatever gets the pinging resolved satisfies me. Thanks for the heads-up.
  5. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    With or without performance enhancing products on board your bike should not ping unless something is wrong.
    - What octane rating gas do you use?
    - Have you checked your ignition timing?
    - Are you pistons covered in carbon?
  6. erkmania

Oddometer:
    You're right about that!

1) Always 91, random stations
    2) No. Set by computer.
    3) Not last time I checked.

Also I informed the dealer at the 6k mile service. They (dealer peeps) couldn't detect the problem with their diagnostic computer interface, but they offered to ride the bike more extensively to verify. Bike now has 9k miles on it.

The condition is less noticeable in cooler conditions so I was going to wait 'till the weather warmed before returning the bike to them.
  7. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the 1200 engine enough to know whether it is initially timed mechanically like the 1100 or 1150 is by adjusting the HES plate but a brand new bike that pings on acceleration is not right. Timing is advanced and retarded automatically by the ECU in all these bikes but the base setting is usually mechanically set. Perhaps someone in the know about tuning a 1200 will chime in.

I would definitely stay on the problem with the dealer if it were my brand new 1200! Warm or cold the bike should not ping.
  8. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>That is generally the case for the 1200 motor, as the ECU on the 1200 has knock sensor inputs. But the 1100/1150 motor pings when new, under the right conditions of temperature and load of course.
    </td></tr></table>
    <BR>
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Like JJ says, the -20 setting is optimum. The usual your-mileage-may-vary claim notwithstanding.

And yes your patience will soon be rewarded. I was in Santa Barbara bidding a contract job. Today I'm feeling pretty good and I'll probably be starting in on the epoxy procedures tomorrow.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  10. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>I don't know how that could have happened. Everyone gets the same great service around here. Marketing, do you know anything about this?

</td></tr></table>

<BR>
  12. erkmania

Oddometer:
    Oh good. I could use the work! :lol3
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <br>?

<br>
  14. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I suspect he's in the business and figures that you'll hire him if you get the job. :D
  15. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Ok so whada expect Marketing to say other than…

YES!

JJ :evil
  16. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Oh I see. What do you do, erkmania?

<BR>
  17. erkmania

Oddometer:
    I am an expert witness. I have testified regarding automotive and motorcycle mechanical defects as well as accident reconstructions as they pertains to motorcycles and passenger vehicles.

Please, don't be paranoid. You folks have enough to concern yourselves with regarding the Aire and Iice devices. Don't sweat little ol' me. I just want my 1200 to run right. If the Aire works as I anticipate then I don't have to eff with the dealer. Big bonus!!!

Now, get back to potting some Aires, stat! Bessy awaits. Pretty pleez...:thumb
  18. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    It wasn't dramatic ... perhaps about 3 mpg.... but interesting ....
    I'd have to be more methodical to say it was real....
  19. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here about the 1200, but I know that my 1150 drove me crazy with the pinging. It did it during warmer days when under load from relatively new. This was back in the day when the issue was fairly common and often discussed around here so I tried all the home remedies on offer. Some blamed it on carbon, some on inferior gas here in the US, some on an overly lean condition, etc. Then one day someone posted about how to adjust the Hall effect sensor so I gave it a shot and VOILA!! My pinging stopped...:clap

With the knock sensors of the 1200 motors I would have thought this issue had been squashed already.
  20. mr_magicfingers

mr_magicfingers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had the gadget on my bike for a week now, first ride out was through rush hour traffic in London. It's not a big difference, but it is significant, I found the throttle response to be smoother, which was most noticeable in traffic, it was less 'grabby' which made for easier filtering and generally a smoother ride.

Smooth is the word that keeps coming back to mind.

Looking forward to the cool now :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.