Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    It's, sadly, illegal.
  2. Drifter136

Drifter136 Lab Rat

Oddometer:
    Private or Government property? Reminds me of the 4"x4" bridge crossings on the mountain bike trails I ride. It would be a little more hairy on a 300# motorcycle, though.
  3. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the Versys, wish I still had mine.

I lowered my footpegs, made a big difference.
    http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Lowering-Foot-Pegs-Blocks-K-FPG-LWR-RA.htm
  5. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Don't ditch the low fender without giving it some riding time in the rain...may just surprise you how much water comes laterally off the cast wheel, hits the airflow, and gets right up your jacket & chin.

Axe me howz I know.

:lol3

Every bike is different with how it treats the wind and water, but I learned why that fender needs to be on the wheel on the Strom.
  6. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Visited the Zaleski Fire Tower & Moonville Tunnel today. There sure are alot of bricks in that tunnel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Looks great, they are really fun bikes. It's a little cramped for me at 6'4", but so much fun to ride. We have the motowerks peg lowering kit - it helps a lot, but drags pegs a lot easier now.

If you decide not to use those crash bars, shoot me a PM.
  8. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! The maroon doesn't look bad. Sounds like a blast.

Those talking about Shinto 244's. I loved them on my Wrr. The front's wearing like iron. I was thinking about going one step more aggressive up there (track master or t63), and getting a new 244 for the back, but I may stick with the 244 pair again. I've got 6000 miles on the 244 front I just pulled for knobbies, and I'm not even sure if it's half gone yet. I may just get another rear and keep running the front. (That would be the third rear). It really can be ridden like a hooligan bike with those tires.
    (Also, kenda makes an identical set of tires, the rear appears to wear a little longer, but pavement traction is noticeably lower.)

Unrelated... Anyone up for a mid week ride? I'm thinking Wednesday. Little bikes; Perry or Tar Hallow probably, but I could be persuaded to go to a pay place.
  9. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Just Monkeying Around

Oddometer:
    Louisville, Ohio/South Carolina in the winter
    Gonzo, good looking bike, have fun with her.

Dave
  10. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    You taking a break because of the injury obtained at the Grassman? If so, that sucks big time!

I've broken my shoulder blade and metacarpals 4&5 on my right hand since starting to ride dirt bikes. :huh It's a wonder I haven't been hurt worse since I suck so much. :( I keep getting back on and trying to get better though. ;)
  11. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still on military leave through June 6th, so I can ride whenever.
  12. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    That stinks, but I understand. Did the doc tell you how many weeks you'll be off? :ear
    Hope you heal quickly.
    If the 690 needs ridden, just let me know. :lol3
  13. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 244s on my KLR. They are nice road/gravel tires, I'm throwing a pair on the WR250R for a little while for some commuting/pavement.
    I have had a T63, MT43 trials tire, and a Trakmaster on the rear of the WRR since October. The Trakmaster is by far the best sloppy conditions/off road tire. The T63 is 2nd and I greatly disliked the MT43. It packs up worse than a 244 in the clay mud around here.
    Those tires are in the same order for worst to best road performance. The Trakmaster is currently mounted. It is very squirmy on pavement, I expected it though due the deep knobs. I think I have 1200-1500 miles on it and it is absolutely worn out. That included 2 longish road trips, one from Marietta-Tar Hollow-Marietta and Marietta-Cabin Fever Enduro/Zanesville-Marietta. I have the same mileage on a Sedona MX front that has been rotated once at around 800 miles.
    I got just over 2000 out of the T63, but wore it completely smooth. I think I put about 500 on the MT43, it came with the bike & supposedly had about 1000 on it. The stock tires (Trailwings?) are in the shed, they came with the bike, but I've never tried them.
  14. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Matt.

Sorry to hear of your injury IM.
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Tim and I are meeting at 930 Friday at Peggy Sues to do gravel and offroad in that area.
  16. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, surgery is today, then rehab for 3 months according to the surgeon. He told me to consider riding season over for this year. I'm sure I will be able to ride this fall if I want, and will still have the 690 ready and waiting. I hate seeing bikes sit around not getting used and had been considering a change in the lineup anyway. This seemed like a good time to sell a couple and then get something different over the winter or next spring.
  17. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the surgery, IM. Hope it goes well.
  18. blackdiamondmike

blackdiamondmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Annectdotal, but my brother had bicep tears in both arms (different events) and each time recovered faster than he expected. Good luck. -Mike
  19. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! (I wasn't ignoring you last week when I asked and then didn't follow up, just, saying my schedule is inconsistent, would be an understatement.)

Looks like it's going to be hot tomorrow! 30% chance of rain.

How early do you like to get going?

Have a preference between trails (Perry) where we'll spend half the time lost but enjoy every minute of it, or roads (TH) where I've got a great route, but 50% is pavement? Or somewhere else?

BTW, I'm posting this here rather than via PM to convince others to join us.

Mark/Tim, if I'm still unemployed Friday I plan on joining you. They could call any time and say I start tomorrow though... so who knows.
  20. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no preference. As a noob, everthing is new and a potential learning experience. :D

Since we're both in Columbus, we can meet locally and ride to our destination. I have to drop my daughter off at school at 8:15, but can meet any time after that.

Looks like my wife's going to be home on Friday, so no riding for me. :cry