Suzuki Bandit

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Erase, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toured europe on an early unfaired 1200 (in 97!), so if you're looking at the 1250 I have no idea, but the old oil cooled one...

We did lots of sustained high speeds which wasn't what I normally used the bike for. I think my neck grew by about 2 inches in a week. The tank range was pretty poor compared to the other bikes I was riding with. Wheelied too easily for the wife's liking :evil and the centre stand touched down very easily. The stock rear shock is way to soft for the torque it produces which makes it buck and wallow driving out of corners 2-up. But it was pretty OK, and a lot of fun. A faired one would make more sense for sure.

[​IMG]
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. MalCarb

MalCarb Consistently Lost

Oddometer:
    Haven't taken an overnight trip on my Bandit yet. My first summer I got it running (damn carbs...) I put 4000 on it. I'm looking forward to making some longer trips this coming summer.

I guess I'm going to need saddle bags, or fabricate my own cases....
  4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Is that a Holeshot full exhaust? 14" or 17" muffler?

Do you have Stage 1 jet kit with the exhaust?
  5. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my 06 1200S somewhere between Edmonton and Vancouver...

[​IMG]
  6. AK-57

AK-57 Yay

Oddometer:

Yeah, the Bandit did great on the dirt. I'm sure it has something to do with the rider too.

Here's some more shots of the Caribou Cases. This setup is killer for touring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Owners of the naked bandit, and fans of the "old school" round headlight
    will not be happy to see this one.. they've made it a bit more.. well.. modern..

I can't find a "head on" picture right now, and this is the 650 only, but
    they've changed stuff, and I actually prefer both the naked and the faired
    2008 versions :cry

[​IMG]

..it's still no Gladius tho ;-)
  8. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    I've posted this elsewhere, but here's my B1250 set up to tour. Power Bronze screen, Suzi side cases, Sargent seat, SW Mo-tech bar risers, Oxford Hot Hands heated wraps, and V-Strom hand guards. Very comfortable, good solo ST rig. I 2 up occasionally, and while the drivetrain/chassis doesn't mind, it could use more room for rider and pillon. Short jaunts are good, but for longer rides there could be more room.

I was shopping FJR/VFR/V-Strom 1K to replace my Uly. After a disappointing test ride on a DL1K I rode this. It just seemed to fit well. Almost 6 months and I am pretty happy with her...even did a track day (see here: http://www.2wf.com/content/view/2104/44/
    ) Very good, versatile motorcycle.

[​IMG]
  9. ACDNate

ACDNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Bandit is about as good an all'rounder as you'll find. Very capable touring machine, with some suspension tweaks a capable sport bike, TONS of aftermarket go fast goodies available. I've had it on some dirt roads but it doesn't like them much...
    [​IMG]

Did a 2200 mile week long trek around Florida last October with no problems and relative comfort.

Best part of these bikes is value, between the bike the bolt ons and even tires I've got less than $4500 in my 2001
    davyjones likes this.
  10. treybrad

treybrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking 1250 and an entertaining write up on your track day.

I'm about to bite the bullet and spend my tax refund on the OEM bags, looks nice.

trey
  11. DLdeano

DLdeano Ridin' all I can

Oddometer:
    Thanks...the OEM bags are a great addition, w/ a relatively straight forward install.

As far as the track, she was a good girl, if not a bit portly out there. Handled solidly, very stable and predictable...had to jack the pre-loads all the way up, but it seemed to work out well (I was also a solid 30 seconds off of the course record, but who's counting??? :deal). Great fun.

I was amused by all of the smaller bikes shifting through their gears. The big Bandit could be ridden in 3rd almost the whole track; ride the torque wave w/ a bit of over rev for when you stretch it out between corners :D Never missed a beat, and I learned a lot about her.
    davyjones likes this.
  12. the hooligan

the hooligan bullshit!

Oddometer:
    south jersey land of chemtrails and landfills
    i had a 2000 bandit 1200. great bike, i had mikuni flatslides, k+n pod filters, geared +2 in the back, d+d slipon, and stage 2 jets, the thing was basically a wheelie machine. ive never ridden a bike with that much low end torque.

[​IMG]
  13. BmoreBandit

BmoreBandit nomo B

Oddometer:
    nice set up.
    what kind of headlight is that?
  14. RDUBandit

RDUBandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over 47k miles on my '04. Great bike.
    [​IMG]
    ...in touring garb:
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  15. oklahoma_mike

oklahoma_mike Wonderer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a full with a 17"
    I have a stage 2 on the bike.
  16. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    The 1255 Bandit is a much better engine / transmission package for me. Lower to the ground also. The wind protection was better on the DL1000 and the suspension sucked up the sharp bumps better ( after a bit of suspension work ) I find the Corbin seat on the Bandit a way better seat than either of the 3 I had for the DL1000 ( standard corbin, nose job corbin and a rick myers job ) . Fuel mileage better on the Bandit bu just a few. 3 or 4 average for me. I find the Bandit easier to ride in the mountains and gravel roads with it's lower center of gravity. Now to get a decent windshield when one is made for it and that's all I find lacking on it for a great touring bike. I did 18,000 miles on the DL1000 in 14 months and only have 8600 miles on the Bandit in the 7 months I"ve had it. But, I decided the Bandit's gonna be my bike for quite awhile so fixing to do the front end and get it right for about 300 bucks. Have an Alaskan trip in store for it if all says the same this May/June/
    davyjones likes this.
  17. eaglej

eaglej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 52k on my 01 and it has never given me a bit of trouble. I bought a demo set of hepco becker hard bags through holeshot, and they are very well put together. Have done several 1000+ mile days, the longest being Morris Manitoba to Laredo Texas (1675miles).

It is a really comfortable bike with good power and decent handling. It has seen a few trackdays with the guys from work, and I am able to run with a lot faster hardware.

I am on the fence about buying new this year, and have considered a bunch of different bikes. I really would like a 990 adventure, but realize there is no chance I will have the same experience reliability wise. I will probably buy a new FJR. Mission wise, it is the same bike, for a lot more money. I would really like a low maint. shaft drive for my primary long haul bike- I have went through 6 chains on the Bandit, and am tired of adjustment and replacement.

I have sorted the carbs on the Bandit, and the power is perfect with smooth delivery, but the mileage isn't great. I pull about 35mpg at 80 with the bags on, which isn't terrible, but I get tired of thinking about gas at 150 miles on the trip meter. The FJR will do 250 comfortably.

It has been a great bike- I would recommend it to anyone. When I bought it, I was just out of school starting a new job and the price was right. It has treated me well.

In fact, if the FJR doesn't work out, it won't be a bad thing. I feel I am a long way from wearing this bike out- and in tough times, that is a good feeling.

J
    davyjones likes this.
  18. treybrad

treybrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, 6 chains in 52k? You're only averaging around 9k/chain? That's pretty bad. I've got 25k on the OEM chain on my 1250 and it still is in very good shape.

trey
  19. doc917

doc917 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    went from scotland to morocco on one 4800 miles with 2 mates.
    absolutely love that bike.(this might mean i should get out more often).:beer
    davyjones likes this.
  20. eaglej

eaglej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah- my bike likes chains. I went the high buck Tsubaki top dog chain for 150+ dollars and kept it clean and religiously lubed- it lasted 12k. Then I tried running Parts Unlimited chain not worrying about keeping it clean or lubed, just not letting it go loose. It lasted 9k mile. Decided for my dollar, that was the way to go, even though it requires more work on my part. I have taken a few off early because they were getting a tight spot, and I was about to leave on a trip.
    That being said, I know a guy who bought the same bike at the same time and he got almost 20k out of his chain- but he mostly just cruises with his daughter on the back.

It is funny- you talk to a dozen guys and you get a dozen different results. I have never had a rear tire last longer than 4200 miles on this bike- and I run sport touring rubber Bridgestone 020's ( a bunch) but will now have to find something else because they don't make them anymore. Admittedly, for several years there I rode pretty hard with the boys on the alphabet roads in WI (Mississippi bluff country) and that burns them up badly. Lots of throttle, and the road surface is sharp- they tar and rock most of those roads so the surface is pretty abrasive.

I tried a set of Tomahawk retread tires (insert laugh here) because I was taking a trip with friends down to the Carolina's and Outer Banks, and figured when I came back they would be done. I would not recommend to anyone. They seemed alright at first, and balanced out ok ( I do my own), but on the way home they felt funny, with a bad shudder at 90mph. I took them off and they were not nearly in balance anymore. A few of my friends call them "Trauma-Hawks"

J
    davyjones likes this.