Frog Bayou (AR)

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Zecatfish, May 20, 2012.

1. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    for comparison..

I combined catfish's track with my track comin in from the east. The washout where I turned around is abt a half a mile from the falls..also boot this track up in google earth and note the plane in the woods..no run way, just trees! :huh

Attached Files:

3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    On Friday morning at the 2012 SLAP rally Toyman, Dragon, Magoo, and two others (sorry guys, I forgot your names) tried to get down to Frog Bayou on Friday morning. We came fairly close but we had better track as it was about to be logged out. The log company had started their road.

Nearing the bottom I ran into a 25' drop and turned us around and back to Bidville.

This was our track down into the abyss.

[​IMG]

Here are the two tracks overlayed. We were somewhat close on the first day but got stopped by a rock ledge about 25' tall.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. DrLewall

Oddometer:
  5. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having never even heard of Frog Bayou till the SLAP reports, I had to check it out this morning. For those who are thinking about coming in from the east using Doc's track, I made it through the wash out section without much trouble and it takes you straight to the falls. Pretty desolate out in that area!

[​IMG]
  6. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Cool,
    Got some uploadable tracks for it?
    If not you could email me and I will.
    You must've found away around the washout I assume. :D

You came in on an ATV trail we didn't see on the way in. I did see it riding B*tch on the ATV
    with the S&R crew and wondered about it.
  7. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    That 2nd wash out is very dooable and I would not have had an issue with it..but the people who were with me would have. Since it was beyond their skill level, I decided to spare them the terror! :D
  8. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:

I can't imagine that the 2nd washout was anything compared to the rock garden and the climbs out to the north. Sheesh, I could have gone a long time without seeing that! Thanks anyway, Markar!

[​IMG]
  9. markar

markar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope this works. The washout wasn't bad, a short and steep maybe 5 ft, drop into the creekbed and then another short and steep little hop out of the creekbed. ATVs have rutted it up some but I didn't have any problems. Just make sure you don't stop on the way out and tip to the right, it's quite a ways down!

If it's wet, all bets are off and iI probably wouldn't even attempt it. Well, I'm stupid enough, I probably would but I wouldn't recommend it. :D

Wanted to add, after the washout, the trail doesn't get as much use so I got smacked by a lot of low hanging branches. There are some rocky sections but I don't remember anything too bad. I wasn't sure which way to go when I got to the falls so I went south to Bidville Rd.

Attached Files:

10. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. Valentino Magoo

Oddometer:
    Too late. So who checked out the downstream sections and said "no way"?
    Same guy that is out in Utah with Chuck and Albie. Wonder why I stayed back,
  12. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    They came in on the first cross trail we was at, and you know who explored down it and said it ended. :lol
    Looking at the tracks I wish I had checked it too.
    There is enough tracks here now to make a great loop for SLAP group ride next year. :deal
  13. ta2240

ta2240 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DrLewall, has anyone ever seen this "Plane" in the woods? I think that still google map photo just so happens to have been taken as a plane was flying over that part of the forest.

I kind of think you knew that and wanted to see what clown would go off trying to find the danged thing. :lol3 That clown would have been me and three other east Texas nuts if I would not have realized it before the beginning of April(2013)
  14. DrLewall

Oddometer:
    oh darn! we almost had ya! :evil

:rofl
  15. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    Bump..... :evil Agreed
  16. JINXR

JINXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I was wanting to take the most leisurely way to get to the falls, which way would you guys suggest?
  17. Valentino Magoo

Oddometer:
    A helicopter.

Seriously. However, if you are very confident in your off-road riding (and not on a monster bike), it seems Earlevet has the 'best' route in and out. People have run it both directions (E-W or W-E). One entrance/exit is off of Winfrey Valley on the west side. The other is out to the east on Mountain Crest Road, FS 124. Do NOT be tempted to "jump down there" off of Bidville Road or from Temple Hill Cemetery, which are both more direct (and vertical).

You can get the trax and image on this single post: HERE

I like the old Roads and Rec map better:
    [​IMG]
  18. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:

Thanks! I have been working on these tracks.
  19. JINXR

JINXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I'll probably be on a 4 wheeler and I've gone through some really nasty stuff before so it takes a lot to freak me out. But the guest on the back might not agree. :D

Where you have the red Exit arrow I think is the way my dad took me down there 20 years ago. My grandfather actually owns a lot of land in that map you posted so I'm very familiar with the area, but it's been a long time since I've been on the trails.

Could make a good loop though using your enter and exit points. Thanks again.
  20. Valentino Magoo

Oddometer:
    Well, if you want really gnarly, you can go in and out the way we did last year at SLAP. See Zecatfish's first post in this thread: Here
    We came in from the south, and after crossing Frog Bayou at the Falls, we headed north and exited near Temple Hill Cemetery. I decided to walk out instead of ride from near the falls, partly because Toyman said he always wanted to ride two bikes at once, so I let him.

Be warned, though, Washington County SAR was unwilling to risk their ATV's to take this route. However, Madison and Crawford counties navigated the route down from Bidville Road on Gators. Besides, crossing the Bayou at the Falls may not be possible if the water is up.