AFX FX-39 DS helmet?

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stubmw, Feb 7, 2011.

1. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good helmet for the cost. Wear a medium in Shoei and the AFX med fit is similar.

[​IMG]
  2. rhlrdr

rhlrdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a step by step, but I'll tell you what I did that is sort of like a chin curtain.

I took a piece of fabric, some kind of felt-like material, and cut the shape of it to match the bottom part of the helmet. I made it for just the front so it only covers about the first 4 or so inches of the bottom front of the helmet. I then took some super sticky velcro and put it on the bottom of the helmet and also on the fabric. Because the fabric is somewhat stretchy, I can leave it on and still take the helmet on and off with no problems whatsoever.

I love it, it drastically cuts down on circulating winds when riding. It does make it just a bit warmer so maybe if it was really hot out it would not be nice. It also may contribute to fogging when riding in the cold. I'll see and address those issues as they come up.
  3. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Ended up riding 58 miles in the rain this morning with my AFX 39. The rain poured in from some where. Faceshield and my glasses were covered with water drops on both sides. Made a bad situation worse. All the vents were closed.
  4. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    Mine is dry with the vents open in rain. But with that big open chin area road spray does get in.

Is there a chin curtain available now? If I could cut down the air flow I could extend is usefulness into the fall season.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
  5. marine_mike

marine_mike Banned

Oddometer:
    No chin curtain available at this time. That seems to be the #1 gripe. rhlrdr posted this:
    "I took a piece of fabric, some kind of felt-like material, and cut the shape of it to match the bottom part of the helmet. I made it for just the front so it only covers about the first 4 or so inches of the bottom front of the helmet. I then took some super sticky velcro and put it on the bottom of the helmet and also on the fabric. Because the fabric is somewhat stretchy, I can leave it on and still take the helmet on and off with no problems whatsoever."
  6. Rattletrap

Rattletrap When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer:

I took the chin curtain off my Nolan N102 and tried it out. Does it work? Yes. Does it stay in place? Yes. Does it fit well? No. But the curtain and a balaclava got me thru the winter last year.
  7. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I would like a chin skirt to try. I also wish the shields were quick change. I prefer a dark shield.... but need clear at night or for days of rain.

AFX is very close to a great DS touring lid, its really close.

Too bad they stopped short. Its my summer lid though, I leave a dark shield on it and use clear goggles or glasses for night time runs. In the winter I go back to my long oval fitting light weight street helmet, a Shark RSI with two shields that quickly change and have a vent position. I really miss cracking the shield open in the rain, my AFX is always slaming shut over 45 mph....

Can you imagine if they had dealt with these basic issues during R&D? I wonder if they are motorcycle riders? What rider would only want 3 positions etc, who would not want an easily changed face shield using no tools? Its amazing how many helmets have the same little quirks. I bought my first Shark RSI for $180 on ebay, it can be done. Paid $249 for another Shark RSI before they closed them all out. Its hard to find a good fitting helmet for those prices IMO. I bet many would pay more for a deluxe 39. I would pay $300 easily, not $600 though... :rofl

Its a great helmet for $119 per, its actually a better buy than other more expensive lids. I just hope AFX can see we need a refined version, wouldn't that be amazing. At least we have it though, it sure beats my MX lid on the road.
  8. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually crashed in one of these? I like the look and functionality of this helmet, but I'm wondering about the safety. Any comments on safety issues?
  9. Kurlee

Kurlee 2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer:
    I got hit by a car recently wearing an FX-39. The way I landed, it took a large impact with no sliding to the back of the helmet, and worked flawlessly. I fractured a vertebrae in my lower back but suffered no injuries at all to my head. I bought the Fly racing version after the accident and for some reason I hate it. I loved the FX-39 for the ratcheting chin strap so I think I'll buy another in the next few days.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    +1

this helmet was my first experience with the ratchet. pure love. on the fly adjustments are faster than grabbing a camelbak sip.

the smoke shield is nice for bright days. just barely enough to knock down the bright sunlight.
  11. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian, is there a pin lock shield for these? :ear
  12. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately not, and no plans for it.

Also, regarding the sun visors: the owner of AFX is a straight shooter (rare thing these days) and explained the situation. The US distributor (AFX is Canadian) decides what to order. They are reluctant to order a large sized batch, sales figures indicate low sales (which is true....because they are not available...) This distributor is ginormous, and not exactly tuned in to customer demand. The factory is running at near 100% capacity, especially the mold machine. They are reluctant to switch up the machine unless the order quantity is sufficient. So....they are not forthcoming any time soon.

Because of the logic-absent nature of this situation, I fully expect them to randomly pop up as available at some unforeseen time, without warning, I will watch for that.

BP
  13. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    Best thing is, it can be closed with gloves on.

BP
  14. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a trick to getting the black plastic rotating parts off the shield?

I took my helmet apart yesterday to clean it and cant figure out how to get those off.

Also, has anyone come up with a trick to "cracking" the shield?
    Closed it fogs like a bastard, in the 1/2 way setting I get TONS of sand in my face.

I was toying with taking a dremel to the shield and add another detent....but of course I cant get it apart.
  15. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 for me this is the best feature. I have a habit of putting my gloves on before I secure my helmet---no longer a problem.
  16. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not aware they had a ratchet chin strap. I looked at an MSR which is pretty close but the ratchet strap will make me get an AFX. I've worn a Nolan street helmet for years, great helmet but the chin strap has me spoiled.
  17. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, the attachement SUCKS, and requires pushing hard and turning the putter ring until the two interior knobs reach a keyway and POP out it comes.

I used a kitchen knife, and almost broke it. This is the only negative I've found so far.
  18. vanseagal

Oddometer:
    Does the visor fog easily? Here in Finland we have three months of summer and the rest is pretty damp and cold weather. I currently have a pinlock fitted helmet and it is great. Is there a chance of fitting an universal pinlock kit?

thanks.
  19. vanseagal

Oddometer:
    More questions. My head is round 57, 5 cm. So the Fly Trekker would be better fit for my head according the reviews I have read. The AFX provides 5 years of warranty for the FX-39. How long is the Fly Racing warranty for the Trekker?
  20. Brtp4

Oddometer:
    ogre, sorry I missed this.

They are very difficult to disassemble, and even more fragile. I am working from memory, but I believe ohgood is correct in the method. For this reason the manufacturer started shipping the shields with the ratchet pieces attached starting about a year ago, so they do not have to be removed for shield changes.

BP