DL650 softer fork springs - unobtainium??

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimBeem, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Pulasky

Pulasky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just installed Hyperpro progressive springs to my KLV frond end with 10W fork oil ... Wooowww thats really work ... much better then with stock springs... Oil level acording to Hyperpro leaflet 180 mm. I recomend Hyperpro springs supplyed with Hyperpro oil 10W...
  2. Isle Rider

Isle Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim. You need to understand how damper style forks work. On this style of fork, damping is accomplished by squeezing oil through small holes as the shock compresses. Unfortunately, while works ok during normal riding on paved roads, it does exactly the opposite of what you want on rough surfaces.

For example, with a damper fork, when you hit a pothole and require reduced resistance to the compression of the fork tube , the oil can't squeeze through the holes in the damper tube fast enough, making the fork seem stiff. this has little to do with spring rates. Conversely, on slow speed compression, the oil squeezes through the holes too easily, making the fork feel like the spring rates are too soft, and leading to mushiness and excessive brake dive.

The Race Tech cartridge emulators help reverse this tendancy. The damper rods are drilled out so virtually no damping is provided by oil going through the now much enlarged holes in the damper rod. Damping duties are now handled with a cartridge that rests on top of the damper rods. It is essentially a large spring loaded relief valve. Now, during high speed hits like potholes etc, oil pressure opens the valve very wide, allowing the fork to compress rapidly as the oil is easily displaced. On low speed, such as small dips and during braking, the spring preload resists letting the valve open, and reduces compression.

This is without doubt the best of many mods I've done to my Wee. I'd say it is essential if you ever plan on doing any significant rough surface riding. These emulators are a great product and easy to install (and no I don't work for them).