Green Triangle Region riders

Discussion in 'Australia' started by XRman, Sep 30, 2011.

1. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I was wondering if there are many adventure type riders in the SW Victoria/ SE of S.A.

I see a lot of riders fully loaded with gear fuelling up at the BP across from my office. I wonder who they are and where they are going! On occasion I have been able to go over and start a conversation and check out the bikes.

I have a few of reasons for asking.

1) It would be good to network and find out about good rides in our region.
    2) It is always good to increase your riding buddy list in case your mates can't make a specific date for a ride. ( like this weekend because it is my wife's birthday and I am missing out on a ride- weather is wet and cold anyway)
    3) Having an e-mail contact list is a great way to advertise rides to the target group, rather than relying on them seeing the ride posted on a forum.
    4) When a ride comes up that you want to communicate information to the group; you can. Such as last minute cancellations, starting place /time changes.

So if you are living in the region of the "long grey cloud" please reply.
  2. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more, doesn't hurt to have a yarn!

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Baza
  3. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hail from S/W Vic, if i've got a bike that's regoed/running i'm up for an occasional mission be it tar,dirt or both.
    Spot heaps of interstate/local bikes @ Shell servo/Footy Ground corner in my home town.
    Some friendly/some not. Lately seen an increase in BMW's,Africa twins,DR's etc in SW, making me think there must be fellow ADV freaks here lurking somewhere.
    Always say g'day to any I see there, mainly to suss out mod's to their machines.
    I have been to Fisholes Rally a couple of times,and binned my NX650 bad attempting to make it another time years ago.
    I've not yet got to GPS level and use what maps I can afford to suss out riding op's.
    Haven't done the SW adventure trail,(SWAT) and have neglected to join Portland DSMRA, although hope to soon.

It's mainly Harley scene on my local road, although the South West Tourers (Ulysee's?) are around.
    The only potential ADV'er I've struck was on a black DR @ above servo and claimed "to have ridden every road around here" and seemed dissmisive of my friendly banter (was on red BMW K1 @ the time)
    Only been back home a few months from being interstate.....
    Roadbikes hit around 300km's sometimes past my joint on their way to/from Moto GP...............
    More roo's around now with the blue Gums everywhere.
    Tomdog likes this.
  4. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OZ Nutter, in which town are you situated ? Heywood? (Clue: shell station @ corner of footy oval)

You would be welcome at the DSMRA.
    I helped map the SWAT track. We want to GPS it this summer.
    I ride a black DRZ400 and I hope it wasn't me you met at the servo!!!!!
    Those little black wallabies scare me shitless. They ar eeverywhere now and come out with the head low posiiton so you don't see them until you are about to hit them.
  5. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Dr Stock
    There was a bit of banter amongst some Ballarat blokes some time ago here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489741

They did a Grampians weekend but havent heard any more since.

And I theres a group here from Arrarat, Castlemaine etc, who I think got up in amongst the Little Desert and places we might be familiar with:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616635

Otherwise theres:
    over50ncroozin (AR)
    searchin oz (Mildura)
    and no doubt numerous other suspect characters about.

Cheers Chook
  6. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chook,

You are a mine of information as is usual. I am hoping to have a life style change next year. Not one as drastic as yours, but time to live more/ work less. I have entered the APC rally and paid my fee so I am going to go no matter what! I was hoping that I could get a few riding/camping /touring weekends in the next 6 months. We all know our particular local areas well, so a few rides in different locations should be possible, if we can communicate re: who lives where. Sort of like a non competitve version of the GT enduro club that we formed 25 years ago. it is more fun meeting others and riding with them than going solo all the time.

How is Qld?

Doc Stock
  7. GagsD2

GagsD2 ...Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    I am in SW Vic....Heywood to be precise.....and there is Dakar Dan in Hamo.......might be able to rustle up a couple of others.....maybe Capt Cook. Would be good to get a bit of a local SW Vic group going. I am looking at a couple of rides in the remainder of the year....Pooncarie trip at end of Oct and a geriatric jaunt out to Cameron's to watch the nutters on the longest day ride........
  8. enookway

enookway Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer:
    Re: How is Qld?

Warm. Been 30 every day and I suppose it will get "hot" soon. If I ever make it back to Portland my legs will probably snap freeze and break off.

Another lead might be the DSMRA SA blokes. They do a Ngarkat ride once a year and maybe a bit more long distance stuff.
    http://www.dsmra.asn.au/contact.php

Chris Turrel is the state coordinator.

Looks like they went to Finke, Murray Sunset and Pinnaroo this year.
    Search SA rides in here: http://www.dsmra.asn.au/events.php
    (Select "Month" for event date and you will get the whole year list).
  9. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ian,

Your legs wouldn't snap from the cold. They are just plain skinny!

I have been in contact with SA DSMRA. They post their ride dates on DBW organize a ride yourself section ( SA).

I got enthusiastic about the Tintinara ride (3.5 Hours from here) but my schedule was already full. See reference to life style change needed earlier.

I read those posts that you listed. There do seem to be a few western Vic. riders on this site, but I only noted a few Mt. Gambier based guys, not any further West. I know Alan Rigby organizes some DS rides in the Lower SE of SA.

I was thinking in view of the recent discussion regarding ride organizers responsibilities in the eyes of our current screwed up liability laws, it could be an opportunity for DSMRA to act as a umbrella organization for adventure type rides, thereby giving the organizers access to cheap insurance cover. Problem solved.

Downside is that riders would have to become DSMRA members ( $50 per year approx) after their first introductory ride to see if this is for them. We could set up an email group to advise of rides and people can turn up, sign the forms and ride. To date we only have a few Adventure type riders in the SW DSMRA group, so we mostly cater for trail/enduro bikes. DS stands for Dual Sport = Adventure riding after all. Rides could be advertised as grade1-6? and those with mainly roads, easy tracks, touring, advertised as such ( 1-2).

What do you think?
  10. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    I don't live there yet but have a farm at Kennedys Creek (between Simpson and Port Campbell).
    I am keen to do a bit more riding in the area so I'll keep an eye on this :clap
    Paul.
  11. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:

SWAT???? Swat's that?..... better go see my old mate Google......

12. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    South West Adventure Trail is a route sheet that Chook and I and other DSMRA members made that links Portland , Casteron, Nelson, Portland (a loop) back in the 90's.

Some sections have overgrown though lack of maintenance.

It runs through areas that have change to National Park status and some plantations that have changed ownership.

It is no longer on the net, but I have it on my home PC. If you want a copy PM me. We take no responsibility is taken if you decide to use this information.
  13. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few of us from over east head to the Fish Holes Rally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oz Nutter likes this.
  14. Slowpoak

Slowpoak Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer:
    Hi all, new to the post so saying G'day. XRman, I'm another adventure in SW living past the black stump in Wallacedale. Have offen thought about joining DSMRA but the rides always fell on my shift rosters, so never bothered to join up.
  15. GagsD2

GagsD2 ...Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    Well it's looking like there are a few of us down this part of 'Mexico'. Maybe we all need to have a day out in the bush, a sort of 'meet and greet' if you will. I don't know too many 'good' tracks but maybe XR can share his knowledge in that area.

On a side note, I am looking at doing the Poon/Top Hut trip at the end of this month and wonder if any SWVics are doing the same. Always better to ride with others.

Gags
  16. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    :bubba:bmwrider:jose

Green triangle.............eh
  17. shank

shank Shank950

Oddometer:
    There is some real good tracks down that way, Most of them I have covered, before I even had a licence.
    But a good central meet up point could be.
    http://www.exploreaustralia.net.au/...te-Park/Baileys-Rocks-picnic-and-camping-area
    Or the Dergholm Pub.
    Here you could get people from Naracorte, Edenhope Natumuk (my brother is there), Horsham, Hmailton Macarthur, Portland, Nelson, & the Mount, and all places inbetween.

Just a thought.

Attached Files:

18. Slowpoak

Slowpoak Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer:
    Gags,
    Offen see you on the road when I'm going to / from work, so the window comes down so I can hear the roar the staintune, just love that sound.
    Finish the N/S tomorrow with 5 days off, so hoping the water stays away for a ride in the next few days.:ricky
  19. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    Count me in too Stocky, home is Kaniva as you know, could be good to revisit the Dergolm area, last time we should have stayed IN the pub, eh?
  20. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wal it was only rain!

I reckon that a meeting at Bishops Rocks with a ride would be a good idea over the summer.

We could get to know each other and maybe establish a ride group via email. The same as we do for trail riding using DSMRA as a central insurer, but this time adventure rides staying overnight at a location then riding home.