hello from NC

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by 35xj, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep..
    my wife an I are planning on riding from Asheville NC to new Orleans the 2nd week in march. Ill be on my 950 ADV and shell be on her husky 630. Will most likely also have a friend on an 800 GS with us.
    looking for fun not to miss stuff on the way down. dirt roads? sights? general route ideas? Will most likely camp on the way down. Any camp site recommendations? thinking of spending 2-3 days getting down there.
    Nachez trace?

thanks guys!
  2. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    there's a lot of good roads just off the trace. it in itself is blah. I would maybe zigzag it. also the speed liment is 50 and some times 40mph. you can fudge 55 to 57 in most places on it. we tend to use it as the shortest shot from point A to point B and ride the great roads around it.
  3. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a fun trip! What about heading down toward Tellico and picking up the TAT to Corinth, MS, then taking the MS Hill Country Trail to Gluckstat, MS (or wherever it ends north of Jackson). From there, some of the Jackson crew has a "Dirt to the Coast route" that's pretty decent (paging BackwwodsKLR).

That would be almost all dirt/gravel except for the last bit to New Orleans. It would likely take more than three days though:lol3. There is also a lot of good dirt and pavement in the Port Gibson, MS area. Look for Shaiffer Road and Rodney Road. Maybe some other MS inmates who knows the area better will chime in.
  4. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    bringing this back up. My wife is most likely up for gravel, but not much more on her motard bike.
    Campsite suggestions? Any other ideas?
    its snowing here again, ready to go somewhere a little warmer!
  5. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    Trace State park has a real nice camp ground with showers. they also have cabins, Davis lake is just south east of there and it also has a really nice camp ground and showers. between there and Jackson there's not a lot of camping places. I'm really close to where the Trace crosses highway 12 if you need to make any repairs around that point or want to stop in town and get a bite to eat i can point you to the good places. the guys down that way will have to speak up to tell you about places south east of Jackson.