What do you cook/eat when camping?

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by tafflink, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    This old thread still has some legs.

I car camp when out with the bike. I bring a mini grill. Gives me something to do at night. Use the coals to start the evening fire when finished. I try to cook enuff so I have leftovers for lunch the next day.

[​IMG]
    I make stuff like burgers,
    [​IMG]
    Or links.
  2. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also I forgot to note; I am cooking mac and cheese and summer sausage :-) Best meal on that trip. I found summer sausage is great to carry because its one of the only non-dried meats that does not need refrigeration. Although I am not including canned meats as that is out of the question due to weight of the cans. That cooking was done while my buddy and I were scaling Mt. Harvard near Buena Vista, CO (14,500' or so) so we had to carry everything in for a day or two and carry all our trash out so cans would not have been good and I wanted the lightest/smallest windscreen I could carry.

I think the MSR Whisperlite is one of the best for ADV Riding because the fuel canisters can double as back up gas for the bike and vice-versa. Also the fuel is widely available (Octane 87-100, Aviation fuel, white gas, kerosene, etc...).
  3. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive never heard of instant coffee referred to as "american"? perhaps an area that was near a ww2 or cold war air station perhaps? but i thought you guys preferred the real thing, and who can blame you we get some right crap here. you can get some decent stuff but its just as expensive as going in a cafe, so why bother when someone else can do the washing up? people are getting wise that a decent coffee is worth paying for, so barista style is coming on slowly....
    my mate has a microvan barista business with an espresso machine in it, he does coffee that makes your toes curl :clap
  4. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    So I asked my cousin about it, it was she and her mom whom I heard using the term. Although she was born in England, she lives in Italy and is married to an Italian. I was camping in her back yard (in Italy, not the UK) during last summer's moto trip when I overheard them using the term. She says it's more an Italian thing; a reference to an "Americano" (a long espresso and boiling water), the similarity being the addition of the water. :*sip*
  5. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    l
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  6. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Instant oatmeal, cupOnoodles, spam, canned tuna {now they have it in a soft pack foil bag thing, very nice and comes with a packet of Mayo :wink:} cans of chili.

Alot of what I take can be heated with just hot water or right in the can or eaten cold. Things like canned soups or stews or chili can be opened and then dropped into the large jet boil types of cookers with just the right amount of water so not to cover the can and heat up, just remeber the can will be hot. Eat right from the can....I pack really light and I eat at diners or wherever I can when I can and save the packed food for days and night when I am out in the sticks.
  7. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    Here is the tuna pouch with crackers, mayo, relish all in a small box.

http://starkist.com/product/lunch-go-chunk-light

Oh yeah, on the coffee front, foldgers and some others {stater brothers markets have an in house brand} make coffee bags. They are coffee, real ground coffee in a bag, like tea, that you let soak in hot water for a couple minutes and you have coffee, real coffee, not instant disolving grounds...yuck. The foldgers stuff is not super strong, and it is no Starbucks, but it is good real coffee. My buddy likes his coffee stronger than I do so he uses 2 bags per cup...we both love it for trail side morning coffee.
  8. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    Well, that makes perfect sense.
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Starbucks VIA is MUCH better then the Folgers bags.
  10. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    +1 on Via. I have taken them with me on my business trips. Can't stand the coffee in hotel rooms! Well, the exception is when they have a K-cup machine.

phat fingered on my smarty pants phone with Tapatalk
  11. duanew1

duanew1 In my Pajama pants

Oddometer:
    My parents did not have a coffee maker and used those Folgers coffee bags for years. I hated those things. I think that they taste awful. I have been using the Tasters Choice Colombian Singles packets and I think that they taste much better. Starbucks Via are the best but they are $$$$ in comparison.
  12. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    OK, I am not too proud to ask. do you have a drawing for this? Functional and yet Uber small!
  13. ElMartillo

Oddometer:
    No drawings, but I started with a cardboard mock-up. Make it a size that will work for you, considering how you'll mount it. Put packing tape where the hinges will go. This way you can change the dimensions/design without wasting the expensive materials.

Mine is 6 panels of .063" thick aluminum with 5 hinges, all flush-riveted. The two panels that make up the bottom surface have a 90 degree bend along the leading edge for rigidity. I guess if you don't have the facilities to do the work you could take the mock-up to a sheet metal shop and have 'em cut and brake the pieces.

I originally planned to weld the hinges to the panels, but I'm a bit out of practice on TIG'n the thin aluminum, and the rivets are easy enough to do. Just make sure they're flush on both sides so you can fold it up flat! Another benefit to the rivets is I can drill them out and change a panel if I want to change the size, without having to re-fabricate the entire thing.

Happy to help, let me know if you have any other questions!

:thumb
  14. kellymac530

Oddometer:
    I have not tried the VIA packs...price is fine for me...My daughter is a Barista at Starbucks so I am sure I can get some samples. The company policy is that they get a 1lb bag of any grounds that they choose everyweek to take home for free.

I do not drink a pound a week so she passes them out to friends usually....all of our friends love her :lol3

Maybe next week she can trade her pound of coffee for a few Via packs. :wink:
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Via and hotdogs cooked on a stick - leftovers in the morning :D
    I lost 10lbs on my last trip :) I need to do more. It's amazing how not hungry a big guy can get on day 4 of "Saskatewan Wieners" cooked on a found stick over a fire or tablet stove.

[​IMG]
  16. ElMartillo

Oddometer:
    ...then this is the answer. Turns your Jetboil into a french press.

Indispensable, in my book:

[​IMG]
  17. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow brilliant thread. I have been accused of over loading my bike before but from now on I will blame owenst1100 :rofl

Ok here is my setup

My BBQ attached to my panier

[​IMG]

and in use (doubles up as a fire pit too)

[​IMG]

Here is my cooking set up

My cook box. I only discovered them last year and they work fine.

[​IMG]

Good wind protection and I get all my herbs and spices into it as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a lamb curry. Bought the meat in the morning before the ride out. Cut it up and placed it into a zip lock bag with all the spices. Come back in the evening and got nicely marinated meat, cooked for a hour or so and ate it with rice and some naan bread

[​IMG]
  18. Lord Vader

Oddometer:
    Chicken and chorizo kebabs

[​IMG]

and burned burgers :D
    Maybe to much of this :1drink before cooking didnt help
  19. Lord Vader

Oddometer:
    Hey owenst1100 I hope you dont mind but I downloaded some pics of your setup. Hoping that my mate will be able to do me something similar to your rig. Absolutely brilliant setup

Cheers Pete
  20. FMFDOC

FMFDOC IBA #63181 Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dg