The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

Oh trust me I realize we still ride the most reliable 1200 class bike out there (by a long shot). The only times I've broken out my tool kit on the road was to fix a BMW and a KTM. :lol3

I'm not sore about it, but I do enjoy getting way out in the middle of nowhere solo, and reliability is pretty important to me.
  2. Space Traveler

Space Traveler explorer

Oddometer:
    The new Touratech Catalog is out today and my bike is there!
    Very Happy! :D

[​IMG]
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always liked that photo. Nice job.:thumb Will they let you get it dirty now???
  4. Space Traveler

Space Traveler explorer

Oddometer:

I will show you next summer my tip to keep my bike clean :lol3:evil
  5. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent photo that.! :clap

It must have been expensive to get Touratech interested. :lol3

So how much does the new catalog weigh?
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Well done! :thumb
  7. StorckWhip

StorckWhip Adventurer

Oddometer:

I thought the same thing today when my triple apex didn't quite achieve the ice avoidance that I had intended. I got a slide that led me to be picking seat cover out of my arse for most of the day. I was really caught off guard by the black ice given that it was 'supposed to be' 37 and it was 34 at my house when I left this AM. It didn't get below 34 last night as far as I know (as it was 34 when I got up at 6AM). Also not on the S10...SV was pulling salt duty today.
  8. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Excellent! :clap:clap:clap Glad she fired up for you. You might consider upgrading the battery tender to one that de-sulfates, but I'd say that was not your problem, just the cold start sequence and short run causing the hard start.

FWIW I've been really happy with my OptiMate 3 for the last 9 years or so and it's still going strong. There is a 4 and 5 model now, but I don't know what changed or was added.

I've seen it de-sulfate my FJR battery twice, once when I first put it on the 2 year old battery that had never been on a charger, and a second time when it was about 7 years old. That battery was still going strong after 9 years and 160k miles. I guess you could say I'm a believer. :D

Edit: forgot to add a link - Optimate 3
  9. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    I went to the UK bike show at Excel today and picked one up. I quickly put it down and left it there.

It was HEAVY......
  10. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :oscar

(Yes, very nice photo. Congrats!)
  11. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After my Ms saw my home videos riding in the forest & on dirt roads with the ST last Saturday she would like to have a smaller off road bike to follow me.
    Problem is she is only a short girl of around 155 cm which is probably 5ft.
    Would there be a bike low enough for her length which is still good enough to tackle bad roads?
  12. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a CB500X with TKC's. then work your way down from there. If she is following you can always shuck out a rope. The S10 probably wouldn't notice

OR Maybe :evil

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/att...-continental-tkc-80-s-2013-12-07-16.06.55.jpg
  13. true grip

true grip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to thumpers and search the shorty pants thread. Good first hand experience
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    A Yamaha XT225 (Serow) would probably work well for her if you don't mind buying used.
  15. Red Dust

Red Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cheaper the better :-) I look at thumper forum, cheers!
  16. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

That's what I was thinking as well.
  17. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took Twinrider's advice and ordered a set of retrofit HIDs.
    When I opened the box my first thought was "I'm not messing with this".
    Looks intimidating at first glance. I did use their relay harness so all the light
    power comes off of the battery once the bike is started. Said on the website
    "about an hour job" yeah right.:lol3

Anyway, here is a photo showing the HIDs with the Rigid lower LED light bar.
    Both now have nice white light. Just finished this morning so I haven't tried it
    in the dark yet.

[​IMG]
  18. Sckill

Sckill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty good. I also ordered a set of hids from TRS recently, but with 4300k bulbs. Where did you locate the ballasts and attach the ground wires on the harness?
  19. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put the ballasts on the inside of each side of the side supports. Industrial Velcro and zip ties.
    The center bolt (Allen head) on the front gas tank mounts works for the ground on each side. The 10m head bolts
    are not a ground. (Ask me how I know:wink:) The first time I tested it nothing. Ran a separate ground wire and
    the lights came right on.

I shoved the extra lengths of headlight bulb wires and the one extra lead that comes off the old
    bulb plug under the plastic triangle shaped piece with the Yamaha emblem on it.

It will make your install way easier if you pull out the headlight assembly first.:deal
  20. Sckill

Sckill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know and thanks. I was originally going to try mounting the ballasts under the triangle piece up front after seeing others do it, but I haven't had the front end apart yet to see if it will work with the TRS harness.