V-Strom a dual sport?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by gtackett, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gtackett

gtackett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First of all, if space and $ allowed I'd have one of every type bike in my garage. I've enjoyed riding street, mx, woods, trials, .....

That being said, I saw on Suzuki's website the V-Strom is considered a Dual Sport?

"Dual" being a cross between the street and what?

Maybe they have a little more suspension than most street bikes, but how are they any different than other street bikes?

I've seen pictures of guys trying to ride them off-road, but why???

Not trying to knock another guys favorite ride, just didn't see the "dual sport' part of it.

Greg T.
  2. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    Light off road, its fine - awesome bike
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    There's no trademark on the term Dual Sport, so anyone is free to apply it as they see fit.
  4. WeeBee

WeeBee Proud Deplorable

Oddometer:
    Adventure Tourer best describes the Suzuki DL series
  5. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't really understand what your question is, or what point you're trying to make. :confused

A V-Strom is designed and built to be a versatile motorcycle, capable of being ridden on and off road. That would seem to fit the generalized and non-specific description of a "dual sport". :nod

I do agree that a better description would be Adventure Tourer, but that being a more recently coined term, it probably doesn't fit into the marketing department definitions because it wasn't commonly used when the V-Strom came out.:augie
  6. KarlMalone

KarlMalone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its nothing close to a dual sport, adventure tourer is what it is. To me a dual sport is more then taking something on a gravel road.
  7. gtackett

Oddometer:

That is why I tried not to make it sound like I was knocking the V-Stroms.

I'd never ridden one, nor seen one up close, so I just wasn't seeing the "dual" part. It doesn't look like something I'd want to powerslide around a gravel turn.

I thought someone would say how they were different than a pure street bike.

.....they don't have to fit into any catagory.....I was just curious, they seem to be a popular bike.

Greg T.
  8. Sir Not Appearing

Sir Not Appearing That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer:
    Oh, no. Just wait until he sees Dillon or Skippii's EX250's offroading.
  9. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    It's a street bike very capable of handling poorly constructed or minimally maintained roads..
  10. Dirtgeek

Dirtgeek Guest

:lurk :lurk :1drink

al
  11. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    So, WTF is a dual sport?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I prolly got another 50 photos of stuff I have ridden most guys never ride on a dirt bike. Point being....people get too hung up on the bike classification....it is ABOUT THE RIDER. Hayabusas ride to Prudhoe....It's all marketing hype....ride your own ride...whatever you enjoy.
  12. SaoirseGlen

SaoirseGlen Mr. Conspicuity

Oddometer:
    Just south of the Kansas Autobahn in Lawrence, KS
    I think if one wishes to effectively go cross country where there are absolutely no roads for tens of miles, a dirt bike would do. For those who want to take a path less traveled and perhaps a bit off the beaten track, a DL650 or DL1000 works to get you there. Other dual sports may have more off road bias and ability, but the DL series at least have a bit more ability to handle less than perfect roads than say a sport bike.

All that being said, the rider is what makes the most of a bike's abilities. Skills can make up for what a mount lacks at times. Besides, there is a challenge in getting someplace with a mount that is not the perfect one for the job, but adaptable.
  13. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
  14. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered this Adventure touring

[​IMG]
  15. gtackett

Oddometer:

My bikes are from the 80s, I DO ride what I have and enjoy them.

I thought maybe someone would come back saying the V-Stroms have off-road suspension, or a wider range (with a low 1st gear) transmission, or something that allowed it to go well on something other than pavement.

I don't care about bike classification, just wondered what was different about the V-Stroms than say my Honda Nighthawk....which I'd NEVER take off road.
  16. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That question really depends on your definition of the word 'dualsport'. I've owned a 650 V-Strom and I put 30,000 kms on it in just 18 months. In my world the DL650 is definitely NOT a dualsport. But it is an exceptionally good 'adventure bike'. Meaning it's great for this kind of thing...

[​IMG]

And also this kind of thing...
    [​IMG]

BUT!!!

I have a bike that I do consider to be a 'dualsport', and it looks like this, and as you can see, it lives in a very different world than the world the DL650 lives in. Ride a DL650 in any of these common 'dualsport' situations, and you'll destroy it within minutes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think we have a winner.
  18. ENDODB4

ENDODB4 b00n

Oddometer:
    Let's not forget fuel capacity.
  19. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly...

Adventure bikes have big fuel tank capacity, and dualsports don't.

Dualsports also don't have a sportbike-style paper air filter element under the fuel tank. They have washable, easy access oiled-foam air filters.

:thumb
  20. chiefrider

chiefrider Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer:
    ....folks look at my old R100GSPD as ask if it's a DIRT BIKE. Sure, it has a high front fender and TKC80 knobbies.

I have to answer, NOT REALLY.

I explain it's a touring bike that can handle gravel or roads in poor condition. But I don't try to make her go off road.

I wouldn't go off-road with a V-Strom. Gravel roads, yes.

Like someone already said, DUAL SPORT is a general marketing term, kind of like what folks called an "enduro" back in the late 1960's.

My $0.02

Tom in Salem