Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Thread That Doesn't Suck

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JRE, Feb 14, 2015.

1. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    If my memory serves me, all of my exhausts were tight and some of my intakes also.

I just did adjustment 2 at 44k because it's been snowing what seems like forever, 1 exhaust was tight.

This bike isn't like the FJR...it seems to need valve adjustments.

Probably because it's possible to ride it at a higher percentage of its overall performance capability.

ac

thanks for the responses... :ilmostro it appears that there is some variation when valve adjustment has been needed, so I'll plan to go ahead and have them checked on the next service to see where they are...
  3. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's certainly nothing wrong with following the manufacturer's recommended schedule. Just think, if you had just about any bike other than a Yamaha the valve adjustment would have been required much sooner.

ac
  4. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    :thumb absolutely!... my 525 KTM needs valve adjustments about every 2000 miles... fortunately they aren't hard to do and the bike is so good off road that it's worth it... even kinda fun to acutally work on a bike once in a while!! :lol3
  5. randomride

randomride Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    So you are adjusting valves, changing oil and filter, and putting on new tires every 2K miles :eek1
  6. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats probably pretty generous. My dirt bike tires only last about 200 miles. Oil is changed every 20hrs, valves done at 45hrs, topend every 90hrs. Valves did last till 200hrs so that was nice.
  7. randomride

randomride Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer:
    Holy Sh!t :huh :eek1
  8. JRE

JRE Yo

Oddometer:
    Is that bike orange per chance? Ya know, if you really enjoy wrenching on bikes there's not a damn thing wrong with that. Especially, if it's designed in a way that makes those activities relatively easy.
  9. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    for the KTM, I wish oil changes were only every 2000 miles!... :huh oil changes are every 500 to 1000 miles!... :lol3 only holds 1.2 L of oil and that gets thrashed pretty quick from the transmission... that's the price of running around in the hills on a racing bike, even if it is an enduro. It makes me appreciate all the more my good old reliable Tenere... all I've done is change the fluids, and put tires on her in 24000+ miles
  10. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, its red. My green one is similar maintenance wise. I have an aprilia SXV550 that requires and engine teardown every 80hrs. I recently completed its 3rd overhaul. You'll have to rip that bike from my cold dead fingers....I had to convert it to track only as I'd be hauled to jail within hours if street ridden.
  11. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:

I started off ready to buy the KTM 1190 ADV bike then it hit me right before purchase, I can't be spending my off-work weekend time on maintenance for two hi-perf bikes. I appreciate the Tenere too for the same reason, knowing my time for offroad riding and maintenance will mainly be taken up by the enduro, and more casual scenic riding time on the Tenere when I just wanna go riding and not mess with it.
    jefmad likes this.
  12. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
  13. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    The orange 500 holds 1.6 quarts now! :D
    So riding it in less than competitive environment, you can go 15 hours between oil swaps.
    30 hours between valve checks.

I can only dreeeeeam checking valves on my Tenere was so easy.

Still, it is true, playing with other breeds is far more maintenance than the anvil solid Tenere.
    Been thrashing mine for years now. Nothing I have ever had is so easy to maintain.
  14. TheMuffinMan54

TheMuffinMan54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CRF250R I used to run, now that was a maintenance nightmare. Oil changes every 10hrs, complete top end including valves every 40hrs. Got tired of it and went back to a two-stroke, and when I went shopping for an adventure bike low-maintenance was priority one, so I ended up with the Tenere. Now I do nothing but change oil (or premix it), change tires, and check spokes....love it!
  15. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should check that maintenance schedule again....believe it or not, the argument could legitimately be made that the 1190 requires LESS maintenance than the Tenere!

The oil change interval is over twice that of the Tenere...and while the valve adjustment interval is about half that of the Tenere, it only takes 3 hours according to the book...I can't see a Tenere adjustment taking less than 6.

ac
  16. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:

Oh I checked the maintenance schedule all right, AND a lot more. When engine failures and warranty nightmares started showing up, many of us stopped there. I'd take a Tenere valve adjustment and pay more for the newly revised KTM 1290 instead with the new Duke V motor platform in it like my '14 KTM 690 duke single. Need to be riding, not wrenching. i.e. don't need any more proof than this about the 1190 matters, scared a lot of people away, me included: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24996173&postcount=890
  17. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Failures and maintenance are 2 different things.

I'm not arguing one way or another (there's a Tenere in my garage too!), just making sure FACTS are presented.

ac
  18. decooney

decooney Enduro Rider

Oddometer:

Quite the contrary early on regarding maintenance vs failures caused by non-maintenence debates on the KTM 1190 Enduro; a hot engine and warped air box not sealing and letting dirt in the engine is a design problem that has hopefully since been rectified on the new 1290. Maintenance fault or not, having to concern oneself to prematurely and regularly check my air box for air leaks, checking for dirt in the intake, checking for dirt in the engine, and worrying about catastrophic engine failure every time I go out is definitely a "different thing" and kind of maintenance check I didn't want. I already have another KTM/Husky to deal with high maintenance... and was originally dead set on one, but passed on the 1190 after seeing all the photos and those seeking warranty coverage trying to understand how all the dirt got into the engine. The S10 decision was easy, and only time will tell if holds up like all the other trouble-free Yamahas I've owned in the past.
  19. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or...you swap in a $60 Unifilter and not worry about it?

A case could be made for the 12/13 CCT on the Tenere...I own a 12...it rattled and clattered. Rather than bitching about it, I put a $60 MCCT in.

ac
  20. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    replacment of the OEM air filter with this filter stopped the clatter?... color me "interested"... :ear