ONTARIO: Eat The World Culinary Tour!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kahoon, Oct 30, 2008.

1. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    The riding season is slowly coming to an end, and if the current threads are any indication, it looks cabin fever is quickly setting in! So in an effort to curb the situation and avoid a cabin inferno, I'm proposing a monthly Ontario ADV dinner from the different cuisines of the world :thumb One idea is to pick the last Wednesday of every month and have a ADV'er introduce us to his/her heritage through food, lots of it :dg

We had a test run last night with GREAT success. A bunch of FFs got together at Paramount Foods to sample some tasty middle eastern treats and all was in agreement, that this should become a monthly adventure into uncharted culinary teritory.

So without any further adieu, let the festivities begin.

Who is the first taker? Uber? :lol3

:freaky
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kind of out of the way for some of you Toronto FF's but there's an incredible Indian joint in Hamilton: The Modern Indian Buffet. I've been to most of the good joints on Gerrard St. in Toronto's Little India and this one's among the best. No foolin. Cheap too.

Not sure when but at some point over the winter if all'a you FF's wanted to make the trip to Hamilton you would leave groaning with over-stuffed goodness.

It'd easily seat as many as made the trip. Place is huge and the service is excellent.

namaste,
    Lorenzo
  3. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Count me in Lornce... I'm willing to carpool down to Hamilton.

So last night was a blast! Great to see everyone and the food was out of this world! Kahoon was working his magic, I started to think he was running the joint!

So.... what does everyone think about making this happen on the last Wednesday of every month?! 7:30 - 8pm kick off!

November 26th
    December 24th (umm.... maybe we should schedule for the Monday?! - Dec. 22???)
    January 28th
    February 25th
    March 25th

Lornce... you want the Nov. slot?!

May I suggest Polish / Eastern European Cuisine for December?!?!?!??!?!?!?!
  4. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Didn't make it last night due to pumpkin duty.

Me tink'n Mmmmmmmm butter chicken mmmmmmm

I did carve a "Dacar" pumpkin though...

[​IMG]

DW
  5. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Last night was awesome and I left stuffed. :clap

I'd be more than willing to trek out to Hamilton...Lornce..I didnt think you had any Indian background...do you?:D

I guess everyones own ethnic background isnt necessarily a pre-requisite for determining what type of food we eat....Chinese would be great sometime but I can't recall having any Asian ADV riders who could host that.

Toronto and area is one of the best cities going when it comes to availability of diverse ethnic culinary establishments so we should never run out of ideas or appetite.

Last Wednesday of every month from now through March sounds like a good plan. Dec 22nd is definitely better than the 24th though and Polski sounds yumski!:dg

LETS EAT!
  6. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    What's the parameters here? Is there a ballpark budget, a dollar limit? Is it guys night out, or are spouses invited?
  7. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :thumb

you kill me Rummer. FANTASTIC!!!

8. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Rummy, Did you do KTM logo pumpkin as well? :lol3

Nice job...very original. How long did that take you?

I'm coming by on Halloween dressed as a Pirate (going to borrow my brothers Harley Riding gear :rofl ) Trick or Treat :evil
  9. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    Can I suggest a Malayasion place in Richmond Hill for one of these nights? IT'S SO GOOD.... Resturant Malay... ... :dg :tb :tb :dg Tom yum soup.. bodang.. OOOOO. Uhm yeah what I was saying... Huh??!?

It's pretty easy to get to, bayview and 16th.. I think.. WELL WORTH THE TRIP, Have to give them notice cause they have line ups out the door almost every day..
  10. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Uh, first time I hear of it too...

How do we join?

Robbie can pull wheelies so that should qualify him.
    And I can't so that should qualify me!

So?:huh
  11. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Ube, If it's agreeable to the rabble, then sure, November at the Modern India Buffet. Dinner is $13.99 and it includes a freaking beer. Don't let the price fool you. It's excellent, authentic Indian.

Rummer, That's the finest pumpkin I've seen this year. Bravo. I might join Mike and we'll come by your place as a "gang".

Mike, I'm anglo-indian or indo-anglian however you want to call it. My mom grew up in Calcutta. I do the head bobble thing now and then but you've gotta watch for it.

Thraan, This place is priced for KLR budgets and their wives.

Robbie, Last night was a test run so we kept it kinda small to see how it was going to work. Besides, we didn't want you wheelying through the taboulae and making a scene.

Doughy, Go away.

See you FF's in November!

urRRPpp,
    Lornce
  12. doughy

Oddometer:

Wow Lornce,

I am still waiting to find out why your so intimidated by me... :D

Im not scary. I like you, do you need a hug?

But no I don't want any candy that's in your van... Sheesh stop asking Ok? I don't want to come over. I am 32... I look young but my hands are rough...

:lol3
  13. Lornce

Oddometer:
    Hey Doughy,

I took a picture the other day and I thought of you.

:lol3

Attached Files:

14. MTRhead

MTRhead HOLYSHIFT!!!

Oddometer:
    Lost in the woods of Muskoka, formerly GTA
    So, uhm, great, can't wait to get you all to try haggis!!!!!

:(: :dg :scratch
  15. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    uoch, we'll noo be eatin the haggis lad. That grrross. I would vote for a Scotch Whiskey and warm Beer tasting followed by some traditional Pub Grub.
  16. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in... if you speak the "Ode to the Haggis"!

PS DrCool, anything tastes good with good scotch! Tell me I'm wrong!
  17. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea.
    Because of the shift I work, I wouldn't be able to join in, but might I make a recomendation?
    You need to find a good Vietnamese restaurant, and treat yourself to a bowl of Pho.
    In Mississauga I would check out the golden turtle (my personal fave), on Central pkwy, and in Hamilton, Pho dau bo is quite good, with the east end location being the much nicer of the two.
    The prices reasonable, the servings huge, and the food is great.
    You will get addicted to the soup, not to mention the spring rolls.
  18. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Funny, my brothers and I do an annual birthday dinner (our birthdays are all withyin a month of each other) and the Malaysian place is where we are going this year on Nov 11.
    I'm right near Bayview/16th! I'll do a review Never tried Malaysian food before.
    Too bad, I'd come Wednesdays, but my kid has indoor baseball practices for his Rep team on Weds.
  19. doughy

Oddometer:

Your going to love it. There is a lot of curry dishes but everyone has had curry, the rice is wikked cause instead of water it is done with coconut milk. Jasmine rice done in coconut milk is like heaven... A friend of mine has a Malay wife, I should find out what's the best dishes for you to try, I will let you know that the TOmyum soup is spicy hot but not hot without flavour.. It's just so good. Great food...
  20. kruzuki

kruzuki Gear in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the more you know........
    So I got a craving and tried a Malaysian Place at lunch today, a little hole-in-the-wall called Gourmet Garden on Sheppard Ave E. at Brimley. Really good food, but more of a 'roadfood' experience, not fine dining by any means, but I don't care, after all we're 'adventure' people!