54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Liberia, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Hello. We're trying something new here in the State of Tennessee. A collaborative effort among Adventure Riders to visit and document one or more rides to every Tennessee State Park. There are 54 State parks and we think it will be fun to visit them all. Each person will document their ride under their own account but we'll link them here to make them easier to find.

We're also encouraging you to invite others to join you as a way to meet and enjoy other Inmates. So if you want to take a specific park then simply add a post to this thread saying when you will be visiting the park and inviting others to join you. I'll put your name and the date below the park's name and location so that people can contact you.

You don't have to be from Tennessee to do this and you don't have to invite others (although that's part of the fun). But we would like to have a ride report from you and, hopefully, a lot of pictures.

Below is a list of all Tennessee State Parks grouped within the three Grand Divisions (West, Middle and East). Clicking on the name will take you to the State's website for that particular park. Below is the name of the town nearest the park. Using Rock Island State Park as an example, I've put my name (Liberia) and the date (9/24/12). My name links to my Advrider profile and the date links to the actual ride report that I did (I'll do a better one but this one will serve as an example until then).

Green AdvRider name links to their profile - Orange RR next to a name indicates the ride is complete and linked -- Orange date means ride is planned.
    <MAP name=ParkMap><AREA title="Cummins Falls State Park" href="/environment/parks/CumminsFalls/" shape=circle alt="Cummins Falls State Park" coords=302,43,10><AREA title="Bicentennial Mall State Park" href="/environment/parks/Bicentennial" shape=circle alt="Bicentennial Mall State Park" coords=212,49,8><AREA title="Big Cypress Tree State Park" href="/environment/parks/BigCypress" shape=circle alt="Big Cypress Tree State Park" coords=126,60,9><AREA title="Big Hill Pond State Park" href="/environment/parks/BigHillPond" shape=circle alt="Big Hill Pond State Park" coords=95,123,9><AREA title="Big Ridge State Park" href="/environment/parks/BigRidge" shape=circle alt="Big Ridge State Park" coords=404,39,8><AREA title="Bledsoe Creek State Park" href="/environment/parks/BledsoeCreek" shape=circle alt="Bledsoe Creek State Park" coords=245,25,9><AREA title="Booker T. Washington State Park" href="/environment/parks/BookerTWashington" shape=circle alt="Booker T. Washington State Park" coords=305,127,8><AREA title="Burgess Falls State Park" href="/environment/parks/BurgessFalls" shape=circle alt="Burgess Falls State Park" coords=298,65,10><AREA title="Cedars of Lebanon State Park" href="/environment/parks/Cedars" shape=circle alt="Cedars of Lebanon State Park" coords=253,65,9><AREA title="Chickasaw State Park" href="/environment/parks/Chickasaw" shape=circle alt="Chickasaw State Park" coords=92,104,9><AREA title="Cordell Hull State Park" href="/environment/parks/CordellHull" shape=circle alt="Cordell Hull State Park" coords=312,20,7><AREA title="Cove Lake State Park" href="/environment/parks/CoveLake" shape=circle alt="Cove Lake State Park" coords=379,38,8><AREA title="Cumberland Mountain State Park" href="/environment/parks/CumberlandMtn" shape=circle alt="Cumberland Mountain State Park" coords=323,74,10><AREA title="Cumberland Trail State Park" href="/environment/parks/CumberlandTrail" shape=circle alt="Cumberland Trail State Park" coords=320,113,8><AREA title="David Crockett State Park" href="/environment/parks/DavidCrockettSP" shape=circle alt="David Crockett State Park" coords=180,110,11><AREA title="Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park" href="/environment/parks/DavyCrockettSHP" shape=circle alt="Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park" coords=473,47,9><AREA title="Dunbar Cave State Park" href="/environment/parks/DunbarCave" shape=circle alt="Dunbar Cave State Park" coords=180,19,12><AREA title="Edgar Evins State Park" href="/environment/parks/EdgarEvins" shape=circle alt="Edgar Evins State Park" coords=283,58,9><AREA title="Fall Creek Falls State Park" href="/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls" shape=circle alt="Fall Creek Falls State Park" coords=305,93,10><AREA title="Fort Loudoun State Park" href="/environment/parks/FortLoudoun" shape=circle alt="Fort Loudoun State Park" coords=378,99,9><AREA title="Fort Pillow State Historic Park" href="/environment/parks/FortPillow" shape=circle alt="Fort Pillow State Historic Park" coords=38,83,9><AREA title="Frozen Head State Park" href="/environment/parks/FrozenHead" shape=circle alt="Frozen Head State Park" coords=353,47,11><AREA title="Harpeth River State Park" href="/environment/parks/HarpethRiver" shape=circle alt="Harpeth River State Park" coords=184,59,8><AREA title="Harrison Bay State Park" href="/environment/parks/HarrisonBay" shape=circle alt="Harrison Bay State Park" coords=334,114,7><AREA title="Henry Horton State Park" href="/environment/parks/HenryHorton" shape=circle alt="Henry Horton State Park" coords=227,83,9><AREA title="Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park" href="/environment/parks/Hiwassee" shape=circle alt="Hiwassee/Ocoee Scenic River State Park" coords=361,117,11><AREA title="Indian Mountain State Park" href="/environment/parks/IndianMtn" shape=circle alt="Indian Mountain State Park" coords=382,22,9><AREA title="Johnsonville State Historic Park" href="/environment/parks/Johnsonville" shape=circle alt="Johnsonville State Historic Park" coords=158,50,8><AREA title="Long Hunter State Park" href="/environment/parks/LongHunter" shape=circle alt="Long Hunter State Park" coords=228,55,8><AREA title="Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park" href="/environment/parks/MeemanShelby" shape=circle alt="Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park" coords=31,103,10><AREA title="Montgomery Bell State Park" href="/environment/parks/MontgomeryBell" shape=circle alt="Montgomery Bell State Park" coords=175,45,9><AREA title="Mousetail Landing State Park" href="/environment/parks/MousetailLanding" shape=circle alt="Mousetail Landing State Park" coords=147,85,10><AREA title="Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park" href="/environment/parks/NBForrest" shape=circle alt="Nathan Bedford Forrest State Park" coords=137,50,8><AREA title="Natchez Trace State Park" href="/environment/parks/NatchezTrace" shape=circle alt="Natchez Trace State Park" coords=120,80,12><AREA title="Norris Dam State Park" href="/environment/parks/NorrisDam" shape=circle alt="Norris Dam State Park" coords=389,51,8><AREA title="Old Stone Fort State Historic Park" href="/environment/parks/OldStoneFort" shape=circle alt="Old Stone Fort State Historic Park" coords=257,104,9><AREA title="Panther Creek State Park" href="/environment/parks/PantherCreek" shape=circle alt="Panther Creek State Park" coords=428,53,9><AREA title="Paris Landing State Park" href="/environment/parks/ParisLanding" shape=circle alt="Paris Landing State Park" coords=132,25,11><AREA title="Pickett State Park" href="/environment/parks/Pickett" shape=circle alt="Pickett State Park" coords=347,21,10><AREA title="Pickwick Landing State Park" href="/environment/parks/PickwickLanding" shape=circle alt="Pickwick Landing State Park" coords=129,127,9><AREA title="Pinson Mounds State Park" href="/environment/parks/PinsonMounds" shape=circle alt="Pinson Mounds State Park" coords=100,80,10><AREA title="Port Royal State Park" href="/environment/parks/PortRoyal" shape=circle alt="Port Royal State Park" coords=213,23,10><AREA title="Radnor Lake State Park" href="/environment/parks/RadnorLake" shape=circle alt="Radnor Lake State Park" coords=204,65,8><AREA title="Red Clay State Park" href="/environment/parks/RedClay" shape=circle alt="Red Clay State Park" coords=337,128,9><AREA title="Reelfoot Lake State Park" href="/environment/parks/ReelfootLake" shape=circle alt="Reelfoot Lake State Park" coords=67,28,7><AREA title="Roan Mountain State Park" href="/environment/parks/RoanMtn" shape=circle alt="Roan Mountain State Park" coords=498,42,8><AREA title="Rock Island State Park" href="/environment/parks/RockIsland" shape=circle alt="Rock Island State Park" coords=280,80,12><AREA title="Sgt. Alvin C. York Historic Park" href="/environment/parks/SgtYork" shape=circle alt="Sgt. Alvin C. York Historic Park" coords=329,35,10><AREA title="South Cumberland State Park" href="/environment/parks/SouthCumberland" shape=circle alt="South Cumberland State Park" coords=294,112,10><AREA title="Standing Stone State Park" href="/environment/parks/StandingStone" shape=circle alt="Standing Stone State Park" coords=290,28,11><AREA title="Sycamore Shoals State Park" href="/environment/parks/SycamoreShoals" shape=circle alt="Sycamore Shoals State Park" coords=487,29,9><AREA title="T.O. Fuller State Park" href="/environment/parks/TOFuller" shape=circle alt="T.O. Fuller State Park" coords=20,120,12><AREA title="Tims Ford State Park" href="/environment/parks/TimsFord" shape=circle alt="Tims Ford State Park" coords=246,119,9><AREA title="Warriors' Path State Park" href="/environment/parks/WarriorsPath" shape=circle alt="Warriors' Path State Park" coords=470,17,8></MAP>

WEST TENNESSEE:<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Park Name</TD><TD>Location</TD><TD>Inmate</TD><TD>Ride Report</TD></TR><TR><TD>Big Cypress Tree</TD><TD>Greenfield</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open</TD></TR><TR><TD>Big Hill Pond</TD><TD>Pocahontas</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Chickasaw</TD><TD>Henderson</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fort Pillow</TD><TD>Henning</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR1 RR2</TD></TR><TR><TD>Meeman-Shelby</TD><TD>Millington</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>N. B. Forrest</TD><TD>Eva</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Natchez Trace</TD><TD>Wildersville</TD><TD>ZFenderGuy </TD><TD>ZZ</TD></TR><TR><TD>Paris Landing</TD><TD>Buchanan</TD><TD>DickC</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pickwick Landing </TD><TD>Pickwick Dam </TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pinson Mounds</TD><TD>Pinson</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Reelfoot Lake</TD><TD>Tiptonville</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open</TD></TR><TR><TD>T.O. Fuller</TD><TD>Memphis</TD><TD>8TrackMind</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><o:p></o:p>

MIDDLE TENNESSEE #1:<o:p></o:p>
    <TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Park Name</TD><TD>Location</TD><TD>Inmate</TD><TD>Ride Report</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bicentennial Mall</TD><TD>Nashville</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bicentennial Mall</TD><TD>Nashville</TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bledsoe Creek</TD><TD>Gallatin</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Burgess Falls</TD><TD>Sparta </TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Burgess Falls</TD><TD>Sparta </TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cedars of Lebanon </TD><TD>Lebanon</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cordell Hull</TD><TD>Byrdstown</TD><TD>Aldntn </TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cumberland Mtn.</TD><TD>Crossville</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Cummins Falls</TD><TD>Cookeville</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>David Crockett</TD><TD>Lawrenceburg</TD><TD>8TrackMind </TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>David Crockett</TD><TD>Lawrenceburg</TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>DunbarCave</TD><TD>Clarksville</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open</TD></TR><TR><TD>Edgar Evins</TD><TD>Silver Point</TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fall Creek Falls</TD><TD>Pikeville</TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Harpeth River</TD><TD>Kingston Springs </TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><o:p></o:p>

MIDDLE TENNESSEE #2:<o:p></o:p>
    <TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Park Name</TD><TD>Location</TD><TD>Inmate</TD><TD>Ride Report</TD></TR><TR><TD>Henry Horton</TD><TD>Chapel Hill </TD><TD>Wipfel</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Johnsonville</TD><TD>New Johnsonville </TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Long Hunter</TD><TD>Hermitage</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Montgomery Bell</TD><TD>Burns</TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Mousetail Landing</TD><TD>Linden</TD><TD>8TrackMind </TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Old Stone Fort</TD><TD>Manchester</TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Pickett</TD><TD>Jamestown</TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Port Royal</TD><TD>Adams</TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Radnor Lake</TD><TD>Nashville </TD><TD>Liberia </TD><TD>RR </TD></TR><TR><TD>Rock Island</TD><TD>Rock Island</TD><TD>Liberia </TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Sgt. Alvin C. York</TD><TD>Pall Mall </TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>South Cumberland </TD><TD>Monteagle</TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Standing Stone</TD><TD>Hilham </TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tims Ford</TD><TD>Winchester </TD><TD>Liberia</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><o:p></o:p>

EAST TENNESSEE:<o:p></o:p>
    <TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>Park Name</TD><TD>Location</TD><TD>Inmate</TD><TD>Ride Report</TD></TR><TR><TD>Big Ridge</TD><TD>Maynardville</TD><TD>Aldntn </TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>B.T. Washington</TD><TD>Chattanooga</TD><TD>N-M</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cove Lake</TD><TD>Caryville</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Cumberland Trail </TD><TD>Caryville</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Davy Crockett</TD><TD>Limestone</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fort Loudoun</TD><TD>Vonore</TD><TD>Open </TD><TD>Open</TD></TR><TR><TD>Frozen Head</TD><TD>Wartburg</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Harrison Bay</TD><TD>Harrison</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Hiwassee/Ocoee</TD><TD>Delano</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Indian Mountain</TD><TD>Jellico</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Norris Dam</TD><TD>Lake City</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Panther Creek</TD><TD>Morristown</TD><TD>Aldntn</TD><TD>RR</TD></TR><TR><TD>Red Clay</TD><TD>Cleveland</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Roan Mountain</TD><TD>Roan Mountain </TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sycamore Shoals</TD><TD>Elizabethton</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR><TR><TD>Warriors' Path</TD><TD>Kingsport</TD><TD>Open</TD><TD>Open </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Gotta have the funk

Oddometer:
    :lurkI love it when a plan comes together!
  3. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    If you'd like to select a park to visit but you don't know the date yet, that's fine. It might let others discuss dates, etc. with you as you're making your decision.

Tennessee is bordered by more states than any other in America. We're encouraging riders from other states to invade us for this project. Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina and Virginia all touch Tennessee with 2 or 3 others close enough for an easy weekend trip.

[​IMG]
  4. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Tim's Ford ride report is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833139

It's supposed to be 77 degrees (low of 54 w/10% chance of rain) this Saturday. So it should be a great day for a ride.

I plan to leave from Murfreesboro this Saturday and take the back highways to Winchester, TN for a visit to Tim's Ford State Park. It's a 55 mile/1hr 45min ride each way. We'll go through Bell Buckle and Wartrace so you could join there as well. The basic route would be Hwy 269 to Tullahoma and Hwy 130 to Tim's Ford. I picked Tim's Ford because they are having Heritage Day this Saturday.

Heritage Day - October 13
    Join us as we celebrate Tennessee State Park&#8217;s 75th anniversary with interpretive programs and activities relating to the history of the park and the people who lived here prior to the establishment of Tims Ford Reservoir. Bluegrass, country and gospel music will fill the air &#8211; bring your instrument and join in or just bring a lawn chair and sit a spell.

If you'd like to join me please post here or send me a message. I'm guessing a 5+ hour ride but you are welcome to camp, go off on your own, etc. Both the Jack Daniels and George Dickel Distillaries are nearby.
  5. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to visit Fall Creek Falls on Oct 27. There is a Vulcan Owners Group crowd that is planning to meet there for lunch. I ride a Nomad. I live in Columbia, and I am hoping my wife will go along. It's about a 3.5 hour trip, each way. I plan to stay off the interstate if possible. I should pass through Bell Buckle, Woodbury, McMinnville on the way.Hwy 30 is always a nice ride.

Thanks for starting this - great idea!
  6. wipfel

wipfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to head down to Henry Horton this Saturday.
  7. dickc

dickc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was planning a camping trip to LBL 10/13 so I will make a side trip to Paris Landing.
  8. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Only a couple of days into this plan and 4 trips are scheduled already. Three for this Saturday and 1 for the 27th. If you'd like to ride along please contact the person making the trip. [I think we're up to 8 or 9 now.]
  9. Mexico Vic

Mexico Vic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clapSounds like a great plan...I think i'll start on the 17th and try and hit the southern parks that border Alabama..Pictures to follow.
  10. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    That would be great. When you know which parks and which days, post to this thread and I'll add your handle and date to the list above.
  11. 8trackmind

Oddometer:
    Don't know the date yet, (probably early November) but here is my contributuion for the urban nature lovers with a short attention span.
    (Kind of like Clark Griswold at the Grand Canyon...just nod a bit and we'll motor to the next park) :nod

This little 260 mile trip, all paved and as curvy as we have out here hits;
    1. Big Hill Pond
    2. Pickwick Landing
    3. Chickasaw
    4. Meeman Shelby
    We pass right by Shiloh park as well. Also, If you're feelin' froggy, we can hit a "bonus park" (Pinson Mounds) and bring it up to to five! After this, you'll only have 49 more to visit! :wink:

GPX file for the route.

[​IMG]
  12. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder. If someone else signs up for a park that you want to visit and the dates doen't work for you to join them (or you just want to do a ride report of your own) it's great to have more than one report on a park.

Where's the East Tennessee/North Georgia/Western Carolina and Southern Virginia riders?
  13. 8trackmind

Oddometer:

Our eastern Rocky Top brethren probably want less people to vist their end of our fine state. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Can't blame 'em though, it's a zoo out there. :lol3
  14. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:

Just a reminder that the Bicentennial Mall is likely close to you (and me too). Of course that means riding into downtown Nashville (not really that much fun).
  15. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Actually I'd like to visit several of those myself but know that it will not happen before next Spring for me given the cooler weather and shorter days. I'm hoping some of the guys/gals over there will make some visits this fall.
  16. wipfel

wipfel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'd completely missed that one. I'm trying to figure out how to get over to Radnor this weekend as well.
  17. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    We have 2 ride reports up today. One to Henry Horton and the other to Tims Ford. Take a look.
  18. Gooner

Gooner Lanterne Rouge

Oddometer:
    Has anyone thought of contacting the PR folks at DNR and telling them about this project? Might get a bit more access to park areas and some VIP treatment in exchange for the free-to-them publicity.
  19. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer:
    Great idea. I'll see if I can find a way to contact them.
  20. Liberia

Liberia Fortunate

Oddometer: