KTM 990 SMT vs Ducati Multistrada 1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wynHand, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not true. The person just asked for opinions and he got them. If you feel more people are coming across to you as favouring the KTM I can assure you it isn't a conspiracy against Ducati, rather just people trying to give their honest opinion. You get defensive like you made the bike yourself when it was only a purchase decision. Like I said, I've owned both brands and for me the 5 grand extra wasn't worth it. If both bikes were the same price I would have gone for the MTS as I feel it is certainly better, although I've never tried one. My Monster was a great bike but the Ohlins suspension on it wasn't near as sorted as the SMT. Yes, I realize it has little to do with the MTS but I don't know if you appreciate how good WP stuff is. I hope Ducati has improved their manuals and lack of tools with there bike also. My Monster has zero set up info, not even ride hight and not even a tool to adjust the chain tension.
  2. julesmt

julesmt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A sepperate dry sump oil tank can be positioned everywhere on the bike, giving more packaging / weight distribution options. Also the engine can be mounted lower in the frame because there`s no oil sump.
    Benduro likes this.
  3. flienlow

flienlow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I swear, the designer of the Multistrada 1200s must of had a picture of me on his desk and said "what does this guy want in a motorcycle?" He then proceeded to design the worlds coolest motorcycle for me. BUT THEN...The Ducati marketing department called the state Auditor's office and priced me out of the god damn thing! A fully loaded S (which is what everyone seems to have) is about $23,500 where I'm from. Maybe its just me, but for $23,500, it needs to pack my family to Costco and Haul a dog.

That being said. How does the less expensive SMT do on Road trips? Has anyone taken it on a multi-day 3000 mile trip?
    For me it would be 80% hooligan/commuter, 20% road trip, 0% dirt/adventure.
  4. JJGeo

JJGeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. I've ridden mine from Seattle to Salt Lake (Miller) and Seattle to Monterey (Laguna). There were a couple 600 mile days in those trips as well. It did great. A new seat might be a little better, but the stock one wasn't too bad.

Motos are personal, but I think the SMT is a better bike (and I'm the ex-Ducati DOC president for the local club, and have ridden the MTS a couple times). It has plenty of power, even if it's less than the MTS...but it's also lighter which is nice. The handling is absolutely amazing...nothing compares IMO.

It also comes with a useful tool kit, and a manual that actually has good info in it like suspension settings, torque values, maintenance procedures, etc.
  5. flienlow

Oddometer:
    Keep going! I'm liking the sound of this more and more:freaky. If fact those are the 2 road trips I would like to do this year.
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find this statement on vibes a bit strange. My 950 is buttery smooth. I think vibes on the lc8 have more to do with maintenance than anything else.
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i agree, i was referring to my 140 hp fazer which is not that much fun to ride despite the power. Seems like twins are just more relaxing
  8. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I see, my bad!
  9. Falcon4

Falcon4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hahaha, really,??
    Is this hating on the Duc?-

"The MTS is the best looking bike out there to me. I'm pretty sure I got the right bike, but sure do like the looks and specs on the 1200. The lighter SMT probably has the handling edge, with the power edge going to the MTS, so depends on which you value more. The KtM also looks better than the MTS with a little dirt on it as well, lol."

Now saying the MTS is twice the bike;
    that really gives your cred a major hit, lol.
  10. Falcon4

Falcon4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is your map stock?
    mine has a slight rough spot around 5k.
  11. SayItAintSo

SayItAintSo Wanna be

Oddometer:

Me too, except I took the plunge and bought a standard model and am really happy with it, its been everything I hoped it would be. I thought about waiting for a used one to show up but once that "new bike" bug bites its hard to avoid giving in. I'm not going to get into the whole bike bashing thing, but I got mine for about 8k (otd) less than the ballpark you are looking at. Sure I dont have the electronic suspension but I figured that old saying about never missing what you never had would apply perfectly to my situation...and it has.

The MTS does make a great touring bike once you get the windshield thing solved (for your personal preference). Also as far as commuting, I commute every day (unless its really nasty in the am, going home I dont care what the weather is like but I dont like to show up at work looking like a drown rat) and have no problems with the clutch being heavy and wearing out the left hand or the throttle being twitchy in traffic. The motor is pure magic, and no I didn't pay a "termignoni tax". The motor is what sold me on the bike; great power, and sweet low end torque. One test ride and I was hooked.

This past summer I slabbed it up to Detroit w/o a problem and then on the way back I jumped over to West Virginia and took mountain roads all the way back home. It was comfortable on the way up and allowed my inner jackass to really shine on the way back.

As for the KTM, I'm not going to say anything. I've never ridden one so anything I'd say would be hearsay or me just making crap up....
  12. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    SayItAintSo,

Just curious, what was your longest mileage day from FL to Detroit, average MPG, did you change the seat and which screen did you end up with?

THANKS,
  13. SayItAintSo

SayItAintSo Wanna be

Oddometer:

I went straight through, doing a IBA saddle sore 1000 in about 15-16 hours, total I think it was 1,100 miles or so. On the way back I split it into two days b/c of the slower speeds and more miles going through the mountains. The Mulit will run 85+ all day long without any sweat, no annoying vibes that make you go numb in the hands/wrists or in the "doodads"

As for the windshield I got a Madstad adjustable one, imo best farkle out there (no matter what bike you ride) if you ask me. You can easily lower it and lay it back for more air on hot days and then raise it and stand it up straight up to block most of the wind on cold days. Another farkle that I put on and really like are the 30mm bar risers.

No change on the seat, the stock saddle is really comfortable. Probably about 95-99% of my Uly seat (which is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used). About the only aftermarket saddle I've never used is a Russel and both the stock seats of the Uly and Multistrada are better than anything else I've ridden on.

The only thing I wish I'd had was some way to stretch my legs out forward after about 10-12 hours. I'm putting crash bars on soon and going to find something to hang on them that will let me rest my legs out front.

Gas mileage is directly related to my wrist. On the slab it was in the middle/high 40's (probably averaged 46-47)and in the mountains it was the low 30's (32-33).
  14. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sayitaintso is pretty right on with the MTS. I have both a 1200 MTS std and 990SMT non abs. IMO both are great bikes but quite different. I came to these from an 1100MTS and a 950 Adventure and both are a significant improvement over the previous bikes and different tools for different jobs. I find the standard MTS to have plenty of suspension adjustability and my only real complaint the the Duc is too much electronics. Once the suspension is set, it stays pretty much the same except for preload when 2 up. Same with the engine mapping, it just stays on sport.

For longer rides, faster rides, two up, the MTS has the motor and is a great do all bike. The 990 is smaller, lighter, even more flickable and a simpler, more pure fun ride with great suspension and decent range.

You need to ride both and really understand what you want out of the bike. Both are awesome but quite different personalities. The MTS motor is pretty outstanding, way over the top for street riding but a great and memorable ride.

The SMT is possibly more pure fun. I have my SMT somewhat stripped of extras so it is more like SM with a larger tank and better seat.

You do not need to change cans but both bikes feel better with aftermarket exhaust. The reduction in weight at the rear of the bikes is a benefit to almost all bikes.
  15. Falcon4

Falcon4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great review and happens to confirm most of what I anticipated of the bikes
    before I decided to go with the SMT. Only surprise is how good you guys say
    the seat is on the MTS. Glad I didn't know, or I would have been very temped
    to spend more. : ) I also figured it would be easier to trade up in price, if later
    I decided to try the MTS for awhile.
  16. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Might just as well close this thread cuz you aren't going to find a better post on this subject.
  17. flienlow

Oddometer:
    I don't know what the fuck is a matter with me, but I just rode the Multistrada S yesterday, I really didnt like it. :huh
    2 years ago I thought it was a Demon, best bike I have every been on. Yesterday...Not so much. And it was a great price. 3000 miles for $15,500.
  18. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was expecting low end grunt and smoothness like the hyper, i had a blast on that bike and didnt really care abouth the lack of top end. Multi did handle well though
  19. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is carbed featuring H2W jetkit and akras with db silencers.
  20. -GREG-

-GREG- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Low end grunt? That's really odd because my MTS has all the low end grunt I want. It is hard to keep the front tire on the ground and it eats rear tires for lunch.