Best Bagger

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by CANADIAN BACON, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tekshogun

tekshogun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right. What is the warning for? Fuel?

When I first saw this bike I thought poorly of it until I kept looking at pictures, video, and reading up on and seeing the features and just how functional this bike is. I'd ride one.
  2. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:

It warns you not to look directly at the motorcycle lest you suffer severe eye damage.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the baddest-ass bagger of them all. Valkyrie. About 10 feet long.

[​IMG]

They don't make Valkyries now but this looks like it is the heir-apparent...Triumph Rocket III Tourer

[​IMG]
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted to try a Valkyrie. Heard one the other day with a nice set of pipes on it, sounded great.
  5. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    You'd hate it. All of the character of a Singer sewing machine coupled with arm-pulling torque, truly low COG, and handling surprisingly precise for it's size.

:D
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother-in-law and his son both have one. We went to Death Valley
    last spring. 25 mpg??? We were running aggressive speeds and those
    guys were trying to keep gas stations in site. Finally bought extra gas
    cans so they could make it from Scottys Castle to the next station.

Sorry, in my book a bagger should be able to go more than 130 miles
    between gas stops.
  7. XPADREX

XPADREX Funslinger

Oddometer:
    You gotta figure the Valkyrie is a performance cruiser. It's not the lightest bike in the world, and it's capable of strong power fed by 6 carbs, which may or may not have been in tune on the bike you reference.

Buying a Valkyrie for the fuel economy is a mite like buying a corvette for the leg room.

If MPG for a bike with bags is key- at 85 mph, my scarabeo 500 with three hard bags got 55 mpg. :deal

:D
  8. Mike M

Mike M Long-timer... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Singer sewing machine? Not mine, NFW.

Tons of torque and fast. It can be leaned over like a sporting machine and has footpegs slightly set back. I had some old fashioned glass packs on mine built into the exhaust that were being marketed by a guy here in Colorado. On acceleration it sounded like a monster! That bike rocked.

Very true though that at high rates of speed those six carbs reduced gas mileage to about 25 mpg (and sometimes, less). Once heading home from Santa Fe, NM to Denver, mine ran dry at 112 miles. We were averaging just under 100mph, though. If you can keep it around 70 mph, you get a reasonable 35 mpg.

Not my kind of rig these days but as a bagger, second to none when it comes to touring and performance.
  9. kwoodard

kwoodard Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that the Road Glide is the best bagger that Harley has to offer as far as ride and Handling. I have been riding Harleys for 15 Years and have owned 9 and have ridden most of the models at one time or another. My Road Glide is a 2007 with 17,000 trouble free miles. The 96 motor and 6 speed was a big improvement and makes the Harleys comparable to all other brands. I just sold my 2008 Street Glide that I loved the looks of. The reason I sold it was all of the Bat Wing bikes have head buffeting when you go over 70 mph and it is really bad on a tall guy. If you talk to anybody that owns a Road Glide, they will back me up. I rode a 2009 Road Glide for about 2 weeks and I can tell you that the new bike handles and feels more sporty that my 07. My buddy who just returned from the Harley dealer ride in Vegas last week, was very impressed with the way Harley put alot of effort into this new 2009 series of tour bikes. The bikes look great,the heat is gone from the back cylinder and they have alot of character. Here are some pics of my Road Glide with all the farkles.My 02 cents.

[​IMG]
  10. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    Have you ridden an Electra Glide? I always wondered if the batwing fairing on the Electra Glides affected handling. My 1996 Ultra used to wallow in fast sweepers. :uhoh I was never sure if it was the frame or the handlebar mounted fairing. :dunno
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The batwing may have been a contributing factor but my guess is most of the problem lay with the frame. The new frame and swingarm on the '09 fully sorted the wobbling issues for all the touring models, batwings included.
  12. crazymactech

crazymactech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buy a cheap sportster and convert it into a bagger. I've road my sportster on lots of long trips. Longest was 450 miles, felt like I could ride for a few more hours but we were already at our destination. This was using a mustang seat.

You can convert a sportster into a bagger fairly inexpensive and it costs a lot less than buying an HD bagger. Here is my sportster bagger.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...s/c/crazymactech_sporty%20project_bagger3.jpg
  13. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not too crazy about the windshield, but the rest looks great!
    Oh, and great looking Roadglide, thats on my short list. I'd like a yellow one, same color as that sporty.
  14. Wambo

Wambo On the road to nowhere

Oddometer:
    I still think this is worth considering...

[​IMG]:evil
  15. DucatiSSsp

DucatiSSsp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A stones throw from Bill Gate's Evil Empire
    Damn You! I just had my heart set on the black one!:nod
    Now White...?:tb
  16. Wambo

Oddometer:
    Need I mention the white looks better up close than in the picture?

I like the black too-decisions, decisions...:D

Here's the white one at Cascade Moto:

[​IMG]
  17. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    Love the Guzzi but the New Norge is the same price!
  18. Wambo

Oddometer:
    And your point?:rofl

Actually, it depends on the dealer. Some are less than the Norge, but it just depends on your taste-All good.
  19. scooterjunkie

scooterjunkie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, that picture was taken on the ride back from the dealer (apparently the previous owner didn't have a problem with that sticker). It came off as soon as I got home. The bike grew on me over time. It's by far the most comfortable bike I've ever been on, and I've ridden all the HD's including the 09's.

I've said it before...you can't ride "looks"!
  20. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    The Norge is a lot more bike for the price, that's all.