The OFFICIAL 2014 Formula 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by g®eg, Dec 10, 2013.

1. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Audi?src=hash">#Audi</a> in F1? There rumors keep appearing with regularity since years. It&#39;s pure speculation again this time and without any foundation</p>&mdash; Audi Sport (@Audi__Sport) <a href="https://twitter.com/Audi__Sport/status/526103398727565312">October 25, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  2. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
  3. JBSmith

JBSmith Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer:
  4. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    Two questions for those on this forum who know way more about F1 than me (and that's most of you):

1. From a BBC report I read just now about Marussia joining Caterham in financial limbo: "Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has given both teams dispensation to miss the grand prix meetings in the US and Brazil." I infer from this that teams are somehow obligated contractually to race. True? If so, what happens if a team simply vanishes? Does Bernie get their first-born male children?

2. If Marussia goes under, who pays Jules Bianchi's medical bills? Do drivers have separate insurance for accidents?
  5. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    1: the short answer is "yes," the teams are contractually obligated to field two cars at each race. I don't know the specifics of it, but it shouldn't be hard to find if you're so inclined or someone who knows more than me will chime in.

2: it is unlikely that Marussia has paid any of Bianchi's bills. Everything under the sun is insurable, it's just a question of how high the premiums are. Given the hundreds of millions of dollars at stake in F1 you can be certain that every aspect of it is insured.

"In addition to cover purchased by the teams, tracks and governing bodies, almost all Formula One drivers buy personal accident insurance to cover the risk of lost bonuses, salary and sponsorship moneys should an accident temporarily or permanently end their careers, says Rainbow.

Limits can be high, as much as five times an annual salary; and in Formula One, that can mean cover in excess of £10m.

Teams and sponsors also buy accident insurance to cover their costs should a driver not be able to fulfil race or sponsorship duties. They can even buy contract bonus insurance that protects against an unexpected run of success, while sponsors can purchase death and disgrace insurance to cover the costs of pulling an advertising campaign or combatting negative publicity."

THE CHANGING RISK OF FORMULA ONE

Google "F1drivers insurance" and you'll get lots of info.
  6. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Sounds like some insurance carriers are gettin rich too
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    It's been reported that F1 teams are contractually allowed to miss some races. They don't need special dispensation from Bernie Ecclestone or the FIA.

Unfortunately, my google-fu is weak and I can't find the stories which stated this. I don't remember the details or the conditions.

As far as what happens if a team defaults on their obligations, then I assume that F1 fines them and then joins the queue of debtors picking over the carcass.
  8. JBSmith

Oddometer:
    "If you go belly-up we'll fine you!" Yeah, that probably scares 'em.:evil

Seriously, how many teams have to tank before someone realizes the financial model of F1 is unworkable? I read something today (I forget where, but I have a creepy feeling it was Max Mosley's suggestion) about evening out the distribution of money to the teams post-season to avoid the rich successful ones getting richer and the poor struggling ones going away, with outside sponsorship taking up the slack. Good idea, or pipe dream?
  9. RedRocket

Oddometer:
    Pipe dream but really today is no different from the past. Just read a Will Buxton colum where he mentioned about 150 F1 teams have come and gone. AS far as I remember the number of entries has always hovered around + or - around the 20 mark
  10. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I just don't see the rich teams giving up the obvious advantage they have. :dunno
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
  12. RedRocket

Oddometer:
  13. Bluebone

Bluebone half band

Oddometer:
    i wonder who won?
  14. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So this is revenge, right?
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Remember that video showing saloon cars at Spa, and then F1 cars? Someone superimposed the two in a gif.

[​IMG]
  16. RedRocket

Oddometer:

Wow. Just like the drag race
  17. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fiat to spin off Ferrari. I just don't see how that Ferrari can survive without a larger auto partner. I wonder how it will affect the F1 team.
  18. luxlogs

luxlogs Bespoke BMW Bits

Oddometer:
    Can you say Williams?
  19. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Ferrari hopes to be as good as Williams. Guess they can dream...:lol3
  20. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    I was going to post that, or more precisely I was going to post, Williams, Mclaren, Red Bull, etc. However, Ferrari is also an engine manufacturer while none of the others are. However, given the importance of Ferrari to F1, I have no doubt they will do just fine unless there is some catastrophic financial event... even if Bernie has to resort to his usual machinations. :deal