It's pronounced In-You-Vick. I think...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dan Diego, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to title this Ride Report with something that reflected the utter absence or originality, the sheer lack of adventure, the sense of Taking the Road Most Traveled.

“Hurrah for Mediocrity” came to mind. As did “SOS” or, “Deja DooDoo.” <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Well, my riding partner would have none of that, so, welcome to, “The Dempster with Dan<SUP>2</SUP>: Two guys named Dan on Big, Fat, Overloaded Adventure Bikes. Again.”<o:p></o:p>
    (And I reserve the right to change name that if I can come up with something more witty yet less depressing.)<o:p></o:p>
    As mentioned in at least three previous blog posts, I am heading into the Great White North this weekend.<o:p></o:p>
    http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2014/02/san-diego-to-inuvik-and-return-july-2014.html<o:p></o:p>
    http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2013/03/alaska-ride-planning-june-2014.html<o:p></o:p>
    http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2011/07/ah-alaska-you-call-to-me-like-mentally.html<o:p></o:p>
    My friend Dan and I will be departing Sunday, June 29, for the town of Inuvik, in Canada’s Northwest Territories. I’ll try to squeeze in a visit to Alaska’s Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, as well (just an extra 2,500 miles). We aren’t retired, we aren’t riding for a cause, we aren’t attempting to commit any acts of badassery...we just want to ride to the northernmost possible point, meet some nice people, drink some interesting beverages and return virtually unscarred with some cool stories.<o:p></o:p>
    We have every intention of riding our big motorbikes from San Diego all the way north and crossing back into the US near Blaine, WA, in late July. I will be riding a KTM 990 Adventure; Dan will be on his BMW R1200GS. We plan to camp most of the time and stay in hotels when we can’t stand our own musk. We’ve mutually agreed not to be mauled by Grizzlies if at all possible. The bear spray we bought at REI has a “no maul” money-back guarantee, so that’s good.<o:p></o:p>
    We have a very flexible agenda. There are many things we’d like to see in 30+ days, but we’re playing it by ear. It’s 3,800 miles each way, with lots of side roads in between; we expect to ride over 10K miles. Neither of us has a particularly remarkable attention span so the possibilities are endless. He’s bringing along a fairly nice SLR camera, and we both have small video cameras. We will do our best to document the experience to the very best of our lackluster abilities.<o:p></o:p>
    Here are two GPS map trackers so friends and family can follow our progress:<o:p></o:p>
    Where Am I Riding (Works in Chrome, Safari, FireFox, and IE9): http://www.whereamiriding.com/my-profile/userprofile/DanDiego<o:p></o:p>
    SPOT Adventures: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0GOrQRdjM0Y1M7p9gWdJJU8oP3zJ5ubA1<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I will try to provide updates here on ADV or on my blogsite (http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/) as I travel along, but I'm unsure how that'll go...<o:p></o:p>
    Share in the "adventure" as we go a couple of degrees north of the Arctic Circle in search of...well, we haven't really identified a purpose yet. It's likely just a midlife crisis. But come along, anyhow!<o:p></o:p>
    Your humble sojourner,<o:p></o:p>
    Danny<o:p></o:p>
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Actually it's I-new- vick with a flat I. Have a fun trip no matter how you say it.

:1drink
  3. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    See? I haven't even left and I'm already being schooled. Dang!

(Thanks. I really didn't know about the pronunciation:D)

Here's the planned route, up and back: [​IMG]

And off we go!
    [​IMG]
  4. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine rode his KLR650 from Central California to Prudhoe Bay a few years ago and had to surrender his bear spray at the Canadian Border. At least, that is what he told me.
  5. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe it. I once had to surrender my dignity at the Mexican border. Oy...
  6. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'll ask whether you have pepper spray. The answer is,"No." The stuff you have is "bear spray". Look on the label, and you'll see it's made in Canada. Bear spray is legal, pepper spray that you use on people is not.
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is correct. I checked with RCMP and Canadian Customs. It must be labeled for use on animals/bears/pests/democrats.

From the Counter Assault site: Can I take Counter Assault into Canada?

Hikers are allowed to enter Canada (and re-enter the USA) with US EPA registered bear deterrents for their own use/protection against bear attacks. (The product must return to the US and cannot be sold or remain in Canada). We make a Canadian registered product that can be purchased in Canada from our distributors.

And my favorite part: CAUTION:This product is no substitute for common sense.

Now, as long as they don't ask me to phonetically pronounce the name of my destination.

NOTE: We had no problem carrying the bear spray in and out of Canada or Alaska. The inspectors either didn't ask us about it, or joked about bears and asked if we had any bear spray.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Just don't ask for directions to Tsawwassen so you can catch the ferry to Nanaimo. :D

:1drink
  9. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    This boring over-done McDonald's-like trip to the Arctic circle is going to be a fun read. Hope it is a fun ride too. I'm in.
  10. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    I hope you have a great trip!!! There is a great motorcycle campground in Tok.

http://www.thompsonseaglesclaw.com/

If you have time take a side trip to Valdez and go on the lu lu belle day trip! Awesome.

[​IMG] Dan and Sara Worldwideride
  11. tlking6

tlking6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Keep us updated guys,, this is going to be good!
  12. rgp332

rgp332 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a Hoot !! I'm in !!
  13. fastredbike

fastredbike getting back in the fight Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!
    There are lots more place names along your route that are ripe for phonetic mangling - have a blast!
  14. jjbluemech

jjbluemech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck... I can't wait to read the stories...
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you lost your dignity, for good, a number of years ago. :augie

Have an awesome ride, I'll be here with a beer when you get back! :freaky
  16. BeemerBOI

BeemerBOI Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    This looks too good to miss.
    Have a good time !
    :lurk
  17. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, just like I am riding bitch!
  18. blacktruck

blacktruck Shiftless

Oddometer:
    Not quite Arkansas but I can see it from here.
    I'm in.
    Riding north is the way to go. Keep up the trip and posting about it for those cubicle bound office rats.
    Ride safe man..
  19. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to try the Sourtoe Cocktail in Dawson City
  20. adit

adit Bent and Broken

Oddometer:
    When you're in Dawson City take a ride up to Dome Lookout which is just out of town. Excellent views on a clear day !
    Dan Diego likes this.