the 3/4 length leather rider's jacket is baaaaaack

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mutineer, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    this may be the one that keeps those so inclined from searching ebay for FirstGear Barons, HG Dakars, a leatherKilimanjaro, etc

never heard of the brand so we'll see

but here it is in both colors

black and vintage (?)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Miline Melbourne Leather Jackets

• Miline Melbourne Leather Jacket
    • Hand crafted in Spain
    • Full grain leather
    • Double stitched seams
    • Full length zip-out thermo liner
    • CE rated armor in arms, shoulders, back
    • Adjustable waist belts to ensure percise fit
    • Button volume adjusters on sleeves
    • 4 Outside pockets and 2 Inside pockets
    • Classic style & outstanding durability

I am digging it in a retro sort of mad max no one else will have it world traveler sort of kinda of way

269 available here

anyone pull the trigger on one yet?
  2. bigrichard

bigrichard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris35w likes this.
  3. the borg

the borg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Nd2Roam

Nd2Roam Charleston, WV

Oddometer:
    I have a FG Baron and it's taken me 3 years to break it in properly. As far as I'm concerned that made its value go up. Still, I wish it were available in brown.
  5. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    Don't see any vents, that would be a deal breaker for me.

I'll keep my Baron, but thanks for the heads-up. 3/4 leather is, as stated, "retro sort of mad max no one else will have it world traveler sort of kinda of way."
  6. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Vanson's offering....
    $585 though :eek1
  7. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
  8. torags

torags Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the pocket flaps, it makes the pockets more waterproof. Of course if it gets wet it will weigh 250 lbs +/-. The venting tho... is important, I wonder where it is (or is it a fashion moto jacket).

It seems to me the heavy leather trade off is easy early breakin. If you have armour in the right spots - do you need heavy leather in spots that aren't vulnerable?
  9. torags

torags Long timer

Oddometer:
    No venting in the jackets per supplier. Unbelievable. Made in Spain (it gets hot there) & no venting.

the Hein Gericke looks great, it also looks like it leaks like a sieve but is vented all over.
  10. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I had a dark brown 3/4 length leather coat made my Bates 30 years ago; I thought I was sooooo cool. I even worn it when I drove my little Fiat 124 spyder with the top down on cold days :lol3

Life was good :thumb

Stock photo
    [​IMG]
  11. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    I guess it depends on the market it's made for. It wouldn't be at all unusual for jackets designed for the UK market to have no vents.
    I also guess that you can't have it both ways. FWIW, I wouldn't expect any leather jacket to be very waterproof.
    lipsee likes this.
  12. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Hein Gericke looks nice. I hope more manufacturers start using that TFL Cool Leather soon. I love the look of a black jacket, but it would be nice for a little relief from the heat.

Vanson also has the Teton which looks pretty nice. Looks like it should be pretty well vented too.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/tt2_teton.htm
  13. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    I believe that BMW are using the same leather treatment on some of their kit.

Here's my 3/4 length jacket. I don't know what brand it is...no labels. It's got CE armour in the shoulders and elbows and is a good quality full grain hide. I bought it on ebay a couple of years ago for the Pounds Sterling equivalent of about $90 US.

Attached Files:

14. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After more than a year, no one have any information on the Miline Melbourne Jacket? I just notice this jacket recently but I cannot find any info on it other than the short description from the mail order house.

It has almost everything I am looking for.....

+ All leather construction, not "hybrid" of fabric and leather. All my fabric jacket gets worned and turned to shreads after a few years.

+ Have shoulder, elbow, and back armor.

+ high collar, with zipper that goes up all the way up.

+ 3/4 keeps the elements out of my lower back.

+ Minimum number of leather pieces/panels instead of a million pieces of scraps sew together and marketed as fashion. When it comes to failures, it is the stitchings, not the leather. That leads to the question ...... what is the quality of the stitching?

+ Price is right, $250. If it is not the highest fit and finish in construction, it is acceptable to me if the quality of stitching is good and strong. Blemish on the leather is fine, it is going to be a "work" jacket. It is going to take a beating exposed to the elements, a fine polished flawless surface will not make much difference.

+ It is a jacket I can walk around without little kids point at me yelling "power ranger" to their Mom. I am too old to be so loud in fashion. I am "old school".
  15. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at?

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize HG Dakars were sought after. I have this one that I bought new at Cycle Gear about 15 years ago. It looks much better in person than the flash picture shows it:

[​IMG]
  16. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a HG Dakar that i bought NOS off ebay and it's a great jacket except that it doesn't have armor. I usually wear Bohn back armor with it but that leaves a lot to be desired.

I hope someone pulls the trigger on the jacket so we can get some more info.

I do like the stuff at Johnson Leather but that particular jacket looks a little on the short side to me. What's nice about the Dakar jacket is that the zipper doesn't go all the way to the bottom so that when you're riding the bottom part just sort of flaps up without restricting you.
  17. GoGo Gadget

GoGo Gadget Long timer

Oddometer:

Well come on, buy it. I just saw an ad for and google search brought me to this thread. :D Let me know what you think.
  18. hondahawkrider

hondahawkrider DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer:
    soon as my vanson leathers sell.. challenger jacket and traverller pants - and another star jacket sell.. I am going to pull the trigger on one of these... I can't find ANY of the others available.
  19. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if someone wants to send me $250 ducats
    I would be willing to purchase the jacket, wear it, and report back in with a thorough review!
    :evil

send me more and I will write a very sad country song about the whole affair
  20. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spanish leather is usually lightweight, if it is even made in Spain, which it may not be. Check it out closely before paying big $$$$