153? uhhh...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GoGoGavin41, Apr 14, 2010.

1. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFvRegBt-4U&feature=related

So, granted, it's not super safe to pass on double yellow, exceed the speed limit, or leave your house without your body wrapped in kevlar and bubble wrap for that matter, but I'm not sure I liked the overall tone of this report. I'm glad they said that "it's just a few [squid] riders causing most of the problem" at the end, but I definitely think that 153 mph in that quarter to half mile stretch of straight was bullsh*t.

Does anyone know this road, and is that speed even possible?

It was at least nice to see most of the riders they were tapping in ATG.

Thoughts?
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any 1000cc+ Sport bike is capable of that fairly easily. A 600cc bike will do it but it would take longer.
  3. cprimm

cprimm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Especially in a group of three where the second was 60 mph slower. Doesn't add up.
  4. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    I realize it's no stretch at all for a superbike to hit that speed, I just mean in that small of a space. Maybe he could get up in the mid triple digits, it just seemed like the road went from a tight right directly into a tight left. I feel like he would have been in the woods at 130+, none the less 150.
  5. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say it's BS! I guess it might be possible, I don't know the road so I can't say for sure. But I tend not to believe the BS the media tries to spoon feed me. They have their own political agenda to push. They mention that some bikes are obeying the law, which supposedly gives them credibility, but look at the tone of the whole article in general.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are looking at the wrong stretch of road.

This was filmed in different locations. There is one part of the video that clearly shows the long straight part of the rode if you watch it again you will see.

Looks like fun. :evil
  7. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    looks like in the begining where the riders are "zooming" past the camera car that the car is going about 25-30mph...

Not to mention the part with the bike going "200mph" down the road. Not that hard to show that when the bike is geared down.
  8. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    1993 I had ZZR 1100, it would only take a blink of an eye to get to 280km/h, with today's bike's, even less.
  9. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    watched the video...to me it's a fairly typical example of a slow news day..

the news making news.

the worrying thing is that the majority of people believe this type of thing but here's a thought..you'll never see them do something similar on guns.
  10. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    ...did anyone hear where they said cagers were clocked going at (not part of the problem) or UNDER the posted speed limit? (that "under" is part of the problem)
    I'm guilty myself of passing on the double lines and in other areas where I KNOW my DR (and that's pretty slow compared to any sportbike) can safely perform the action.
    People who don't ride see us doing "crazy" things and don't understand that some of the thigs we do AREN'T crazy on a bike due to their performance potential vs. a car/suv.
    Still...I try to limit my "crazy" and keep it out of the publics eyes to preserve my motorcycling rights but; sometimes, you've just got to get around some of these F'N SLUGS on the road.

Sometimes "problems" are really a matter of perception and I usually do my best to have the ADV crowd viewed as positively as possible.:freaky
  11. JimboX

JimboX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yawn. Same old BS. One of the many, many reasons I do not own a television. My drive to work in the morning is about 25 minutes. I listen to 10 10 (an all news radio station here in the NYC area) just so i have some idea what's going on. Best thing I ever did was give away my TV.
  12. DRLANER

DRLANER Likes em' Dirty!

Oddometer:
    I used to own a fireblade and if you squeezed the throttle on that thing it would get you to 180MPH in about 6 secs I once did 150 on a 1/2 mile stretch of road with no problems, so it can be done.

Not condoning speeding and all, but if you've got a bike that will do that speed it would be a shame to waste it!!:wink:
  13. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    OMG! I would never go fast on a curvy road.

Chris
  14. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I was laughing my ass off when they were talking about how "insane" it was to go "fast" on a curvy road. I also thought, during the part where it shows them in the car getting passed, "well maybe if you didn't drive like a bitch everywhere."

The problem is twofold. First you have the genuine idiots on bikes who need to take it to the track. The are skilled -- they have to be to ride that fast on roads like that but the intelligence is lacking to do it in an environment where public variables, wildlife and road problems exist.

Secondly, you have stupid cagers who think anyone who dares go faster than the speedlimit is completely insane and should be jailed. The problem really escalates when said twatwaffles don't do the easiest thing in the world and pull (EVEN HALFWAY!) over to the right to let the bike pass! Just frackin' let 'em by! It's safer for you and it's safer for them plus it keeps everyone's tempers in check. The first idiots on bikes ruin it for the rest of us who might want to cruise through some turns at a "spirited pace" but not do 90 MPH through the area.

The part about cruisers all obeying the laws or whatever really pissed me off too as I've seen plenty of these morons doing things equally dangerous on roads like this -- their danger is not speed, it is lack of skill, attention and rolling retard parades that block traffic.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

:scratch PBC?
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    That news station needs to start a petition to take the curves out of Georgia's roads. Then the cars can go fast too.

They can get the guys who layed out the roads in Florida to come up and work as consultants.
  17. tjhess74

tjhess74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    acutally, that was one of the most responsible news story pieces ive ever seen. the news caster wasnt over reacting, wasnt blowing facts out of proportion, and shared views from all sides of the fence. the only guy who was borderline over reacting was the old dude running the lidar.

i even liked how the reporter stressed that it was a very low number of sportbikes acting like this. hell, he even was discerning between different styles of bikes and riders experience. how often does the media do that well???!!!

i love tearing up the corners too, but some of those riders were making the rest of us look bad.
  18. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    "rolling retard parades"....:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :D
    Said ever so eloquently!
  19. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    I don't follow?
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer: