XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you mention (some) your bikes,where do you use the L where the X can't be used..? (Except for adventure riding with the L,but there's where your 1290 will come in)

Already put a deposit,finally ha..? Cool.Full of nice tech I guess. Why that one between other big adventure bikes..?
  2. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hate it when that happen. Hopefully you'll find out of it
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

In his twisted way I believe he meant that the CRF230l offers LESS protection than the OE XRL fender. I know the CRF450 doesn't offer much protection.
  4. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might I suggest getting the HID kit from DDM Tuning? They've got the unique Hi/Lo bulb. It's a bit of a challenge stuffing everything behind the plate/light, but with a little Velcro etc., it's do-able.

RZ Rob
  5. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, the X can't do the freeway. It's a motocross/supermoto bike with a license plate. I'd trailer it to the fun and dive in.

The L isn't as sporty, but more like a mule. I'm OK with womping it. It's the kind of bike I ride to the Grand Canyon, then down to the bottom.

The 1290 Super Adventure is replacing my Aprilia street bike. I may take a dirt road, but in all honesty, I can't afford to drop it, so think of it more as a sporty Gold Wing.

RZ Rob
  6. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't want to live on this world anymore :cry:cry:cry:cry:waysad:waysad:waysad:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:pep:pep:pep
  7. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    The gopro really makes bad terrain look pretty tame. That guy fell probably 15' down a very steep slope and hit that tree with a thud. He rode out of there on a bypass, but I could tell he was hurting!

That dual sport ride is something I look forward to all year. It has a great deal of variation in terrain ranging from wide open fields to really tight single track.

As soon as I saw that teeter, I knew I had to hit it. I would rather attempt it and fail horribly than skip it and wonder if I could have made it. Besides - when would I get a chance to do something like that again?
  8. GlockPointer

GlockPointer NachosRiflesAlchohol

Oddometer:
    Fender Spenders!!:freaky:clap:deal
  9. tft

tft Spends to much time on advrider.

Oddometer:
    I have a "windscreen" so maybe I just don't get any of the extra water spray. I've never had an issue.
  10. pngaudioguy

pngaudioguy Just...one...more...

Oddometer:
    Haha - yes, that's what I meant. I don't have a windscreen on the XRL, so it's definitely noticeable to me.
  11. smokeeater495

smokeeater495 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats my plan. Tracking down original headlight parts. I had a HID lamp on my '07 XR650L, really liked it.
  12. snake89

snake89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, somebodies gotta know this. Ive got a xr650l motor with a trashed topend. Head, rockers, cam all trash. Ive got a xl600r motor in unknown condition. Here we go, can the xl600 head be installed on the xr650l bottomend and would that combo fit in my 83 xr500 or my 86 xl600 frame ? Im sure its not a straight bolt up but what would it take ???
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can put the XL head on the XRL bottom end. There is a difference in the locating dowel size with the XRL being a mm or so larger. Both cylinders are 100mm bore so that's not an issue. The rod/crank stroke is different so you would need to use the XL piston.

What are you going to do about starting it?
  14. snake89

snake89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well i want to build a elec start motor and since the top is trashed i figured with all the XR stuff i have ( 83 xr500, 86xl600, and a 00xr650l) i could combine some stuff to build a elec start twin carb dualsport. Ive got 2 frames that are twin carb so i think this is doable. I work at a motorcycle repair/ machine shop so machine work is covered. Should i use the xl cyl or the xrl cyl ?
  15. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 84 XR500R, dual carbed engine that fits fine in the stock L frame. So, sure the L engine would fit the 83 frame.
  16. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see..
    X can't do freeway or not allowed to..? here as long its got a numberplate(right term for rear?),but if your ass want it.. I imagine the X be the one for enduro/MX..but thats what its designed for anyway:lol3. When I test rode a FE250,it was 'so' easy to ride in the woods. But the service intervals is somewhat to...often:D.
    How often actually..?
    Having the L here....seems like only me,only seen the up-to-date bikes on the official tracks. And we don't have such things like your example as Grand Canyon.Even though its a country full of mountains/steep terrain and curvy roads. To ride in the nature is pretty much illegal,(not that I care that much,some),but we don't have that nice opportunity with endless spaces to ride where you'd like to ride,cool..!

I wouldn't take a fresh bike like that near the dirt in the nearest future. That bike should be a great substitute for your Aprilia. One time I was a passenger for some houndred meters on a BMW 1190..little twist on the throttle and I almost fell of,not a familiar situation,power is temptating. Biggest I've ever had is 650cc :gdog
  17. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that count for all the Gopro's..?
    oooufff,that must've hurt bad.

Yeah I can imagine that is fun,great variations makes maintain the different sides if dirt riding,nice.

He he well you sure did that teeter well and why live with something you didn't do :D.
  18. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    XRL cylinder/XRL piston as that will match the XRL bottom end.
  19. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this a lot of oil to be coming out of the counter shaft seal?

[​IMG]

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Whether or not, you can change it easily with a seal hook to pull it out and a socket to drive it back on. Should take 20 minutes including getting the tools and and looking for the bottle opener.