Too big for Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Phred, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Phred

Phred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I went and sat on one (gear up) yesterday...and I think I'm too big.

I'm 6'3, 250.

I also had trouble with fitting my right foot between the bottom of the carb and the peg. And this was in sneakers...I didn't even have my boots on.

The seat was low so my legs were quite folded to get the proper foot position on the pegs.

Is there anyone out there who is my size that can offer an solutions?

I've always wanted one...and now have the means to purchase...I was discouraged.
  2. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    i'm sure the seat could be raised,or swap out the tractor seat for the bench seat.someone here will know!:clap
  3. KrazyKonrad

KrazyKonrad Will BBQ for Gas Money

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4" and 270 and have no problem with the Tourist (same as Patrol) bench seat. Tourist Patrol seat is 32" and Gear Up Tractor seat is 30.9". You don't have the option of scooting back on a tractor seat which is no problem on the Tourist & Patrol bench seat. I took one look at the Gear Up Seat and decided it was not for me.

The web seat height specs are all wrong. The correct specs are here
    http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/brochures/2008Brochure.pdf
  4. Phred

Phred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...can I swap out the Patrol seat onto the Gear up??

Any ideas about the foot position on the right side? The top of my foot hits the bottom the carb when I rest my foot on the peg. I also find I have to turn my foot out to hit the rear brake. I asked if they had it set up right and the sales dude said it was. Does this sound right?
  5. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    Yes you can swap out the seats, also you can get a Rich Maund 'road sofa' type saddle. He makes them for Urals specifically. They're huge, made for American-sized asses :lol3
  6. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    You may be able to modify the foot peg position a little, but the right side gets a little complicated because moving the foot peg affects where the brake pedal ends up. I haven't messed with the foot pegs on a new Ural- it may require a torch and some ingenuity.

Foot room is a common problem on Urals(and older BMWs for that matter). Often it it more a matter of getting used to it than actually needing more room. I was reminded of this when Arno let me ride his GS rig yesterday. You might need a little more time than just a single test sit to get the feel of it. See if you can find someone near you with a Ural fitted with a bench seat and give it another try(or two)

On the subject of bench seats-Ural has made a number of versions. I like the older really firm upholstery. Some of the soft bench seats they've made are no better than the tractor seats in my opinion. You sink into them and are afforded little or no real increase of seat hieght and are not able to easily slide back on them once seated. You can easily have a bench seat upholstered to give you the height and feel that works best for you.
  7. Phred

Phred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...this gives me new hope...thank you all.
  8. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rich's solo seats are unbeliveably wondrous. Possibly the best I've seen.
    However, he's so back-ordered, you may want to build something out of 2x4's and an old couch cushion in the interim. A little paint and it will look right at home.:eek1
  9. Jonniedee

Jonniedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike at Wagner's has a simple seat adjustment/modification that he does durning customer set up that will easily add the leg room your looking for:
    http://www.wagnerscycle.com/
  10. kjolly

kjolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' and 275 - with big old size 13's - and there was an adjustment period to get used to where and how to wedge my right foot down between the cylinder, the carb , and the brake - but really - didn't take long to get used to it.

I've ridden the tractor seat since day 1 - really quite a bit you can futz with there to move the seat up and back. I'm using a German made solo saddle now - which is wider and longer than the stock Ural tractor seat. I find it perfectly comfortable.
  11. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey- come back here! What seat? Where're the pictures? Links / catalogue?
  12. bvardi

bvardi Probably not Deciduous

Oddometer:
    I'm almost 6'2 - size 11 shoes. My dealer (OVC in hillsburgh, ON) setup the tractor seat to be higher than stock (he just used some steel stock to make a spacer plus some extra long bolts on the seat and then doubled up on the rubber mounts - works well)

He also setup a little luggage rack with a square buddy seat at the same height - more of a classic look, but it gives some of the advantages of a bench seat while keeping the tractor seat up front. (but you can still scootch back a few inches)

I'd probably be fine with a bench seat, or even the tractor seat at stock height - but the extra couple inches do help I think.

The spacing on the brakes and shifting took a bit of getting used to - but no problems after a bit of riding.
  13. YellowstoneBen

YellowstoneBen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 6'6" and 265 dry. I wear size thirteens and I don't have any issues. You will find that your foot is usually back on the peg or on the sidecar rail and rarely under the carb so much that they contact. I have the bench seat which is nice but I converted to the solo tractor seat and added an extra rubber spring to it for strength. I have ridden my all over the western US. I wouldn't let an initial test fit get you down, I had the same issue one witha tourist at an IMS show in atlanta when I spoke with the IMWA guys there.