The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...Bake, no one will accuse you of not being a tinkerer in some aspects of motorcycling as I know some of your past efforts, but you're right about how it's an individual approach to mods or not to have mods. There is no right or wrong here, and I guess I only tend to jump in when people claim that modding isn't worth it. While most of these motorcycles produced today will work just fine as delivered, many want a little more or want to do some things to their bikes to just smooth out the rough edges they perceive.

Like you, I've probably taken my KLX to the end of the road as far as any more serious mods go...full suspension revalve and engine mods. The TM36 was the last step, and after 3 days of serious off road riding this past weekend, I'm just stoked with the results. But...everyone isn't going to use their bikes in the same way, and I'd contend that the vast majority won't use the KLX, WRR, or CRFL to their full potential. Nothing wrong with that. And something else to consider is that motorcycling isn't like owning a family car for many owners. Many of us look at motorcycling as a purely fun, exciting, and sometimes even a bit of an emotional pursuit. And if you're a gearhead on top of that, you probably won't leave any of your motorcycles alone as far as modding or tinkering. It's part and parcel of being a motorcyclist for many of us, but it's certainly not required for everyone else.

On your mention of KTM, I'm eyeing that possibility of a street legal 2013 350 Freeride with 25 horsepower, long service intervals with extreme durability, a 230 pound weight, race ready suspension, and just what appears to be a killer bike that might not have any peers in the true DS category. But...if I bought such a bike, what would I have to do in the way of mods to keep me busy? I guess I'd just have to ride more.:lol3
  2. Dirtchuck

Dirtchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just started installing new pro tapers last night. cr high bend with adapters which gave me about 3/4 in rise on the bars. [​IMG]
  3. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, 1-1/8" ? . Want to add the Renthal Fat Bars as I seen on RideVictoria's WR to do away with the crossbar. He didn't add an adapter though, just the Highway Dirtbikes top clamp . Thought the WR also came with 7/8" bars stock.
  4. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    I like this thread.
  5. Dirtchuck

Dirtchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe they are pro taper 1&1/8 bars. pretty positive the adapters would be only way the new bars are way larger. The bonus is I can stand up on it way easier and the crossbar is gone too
  6. wide

wide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked at one today in the dealers here in UK. Quite impressed by what is in my eyes, a funky commuter bike, does have some good points. The sign on the bike is rekoning 90mpg.. quite an impressive figure although real world riding, will almost definately see a lesser figure. Seemed a good ride height with enough suspension travel and very well balanced. Big lump of an engine mind. The frame looked like it will need a new coat after a couple of years and definately needs new bars.. they look like they are made of cheese!!
    I guess it will suit a gentle bimbler, probably over 45 year old and wanting to be getting away from hustle and bustle, rather than riding it like they stole it:evil. not bad for what it is mind, in a couple of years second hand will be fairly cheap and be ok.
    Do wonder at what speed they like to do a road mind, may have a test ride if I can get around to it
  7. yyz

yyz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to replace the bars on mine, can't decide on 11/8 or 7/8. I won't be riding it hard off road. All the ram mount balls I have are 7/8. Did you have any issues with cables etc?

Thanks
  8. TIKI-da-MAN

TIKI-da-MAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just so you know its the same filter as CBR250R filter...
  9. Dirtchuck

Dirtchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bars are done! Just gotta figure out where to put the mounts for phone and go-pro [​IMG][​IMG]
  10. Dirtchuck

Dirtchuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yyz I went with 1-1/8 pro taper cr high bends. See my pic below this is the only mod I needed to do with the throttle cables, it was tight in the retainer with bars full left but did not mess with the idle just took up 100% of the free play. I am overall happy with it, the adapters for the big bars gave me about 3/4 in height I needed to stand in comfort[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. davidmill

davidmill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    roxy 2" swivel bar risers work perfect with no mods and using stock bars is a 10 minute job
  12. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Sure, I don't doubt that some improvements could be made - although when the majority of the reports here seem to suggest owners are very happy with the fueling/power response as stock, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to buy a $4000 bike, and put a $700 exhaust on it?

As I said in my post you quoted - I'm all for swapping out parts if they help to reduce weight and improve performance, but was questioning why anyone would want to swap an exhaust to simply 'make the bike louder'?

My response was initially to the youtube link a couple of pages back which showed a very loud aftermarket exhaust - my point in all of this was simply that fitting dual-sport bikes with excessively loud pipes and riding them in public areas is going to get [more] trails closed down...

Jx
  13. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    Does it really make sense to ride a motorcycle when you're so much more protected in a car?

Do you really think loud exhausts are what's closing down public riding areas? Oh boy.
  14. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Loud exhausts alienate trail riders from the general public, farmers and the like. They also lead to tighter noise regulations and heavier exhaust systems.

It's a look at me thing for twats when all is said and done.
  15. Shooter83

Shooter83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not an owner yet, but I'm pretty set on getting this bike. So I've been following this thread closely.

Glad to see the aftermarket picking up with this bike!

I'm hoping to be able to pick one up sometime next year.
  16. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Aside from the fact that trails are not where you'll find the general public, the general public has little to nothing to do with closures of public riding areas.

Some people like loud, others don't. I'm sure if you stop calling one side twats, they will stop calling you a fuck face.
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  17. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Good for you Shooter! It's a great little bike and the more people who own one, the less BS about other junk will be in this thread. :rolleyes
  18. marum017

marum017 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hardly ever post, but felt compelled to respond. If you don't feel loud exhausts have any affect on riding area closures, you are part of the problem. It may not be as big of a deal in your locality, but it a huge issue in most areas. If this isn't obvious to you, you need to do some research.
  19. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    I hate to jump in the foray, but just wanted to make a couple of comments. First of all, I totally agree with JMo that loud = less riding and shut down areas - no if and or buts, from the street to trails it's a fact that it is a huge issue. Didn't California just implement SB435? Direct response to noise? Denver has noise ordanances..same thing, the forest service now can stop and do noise checks (and they do) around here as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure that just because a bike is inexpensive, that should discourage one from making expensive mods to it for little percieved gain - I have friends that have made expensive mods to thier expensive bikes (KTMs come to mind) for the similar gains. In fact, to me it makes more sense to mod an inexpensive bike, than an expensive bike - as I would have expected the expensive bike to be closer to that 'perfection' that one may be seeking, and you can get in for a lower cost and mod as you can - if you choose. I have no illusions with this bike, no matter what I do it will never be an awesome single track weapon or dakar ready, but thats ok with me - as I will never be that level of rider either :D
  20. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more. The only place I might differ is on the term "loud pipes". That is a veeery generalized term. Aftermarket high quality pipes like the fmf q4 are not that loud IMHO and likewise are not part of the problem when properly maintained and "un-modded". I own this bike and love it and ride 90% off road. I personally can't stand how quiet the bike is in stock form, you can't even hear it at 30mph. A q4 is definitely in my future for this bike and the 3 park rangers that I know upon upstate by where I ride will have absolutely no problem with that. The real problem (again IMHO) is with 2 smokers that have old aftermarket exhaust with no packing and 4 stroke mx bikes with super free flowing exhausts. The aforementioned bikes are just plain LOUD and aren't even comparable to how this bike will sound with a properly maintained q4.