Coast2Coast - The Sportbike Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Freerydejunky, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Well here it goes folks.

After a bit of planning, Destinationunknown will be joining me on part of my journey across the country. We're two of the same type of loons. He is riding a 06 CBR and I am on a 06 SV1000 naked.:D:huh(See trip planning)

I am headed out from DC tomorrow morning.
    With the first 4-5 days consisting of this:
    Google Map Route Link

After spending a few days in New Orleans Destinationunknown and myself will meet up somewhere outside and west of NO. Heading west in search of Big Bend.

We're flying by the seat of our pants, with no real time frame in mind there are more than a few routes to choose from. To keep the cost low, we'll be camping as much as humanly possible. Real stinky durtay
    I like this one: https://goo.gl/maps/ahfjM

Somewhere between Big Bend and NM Destinationunknown and I will part ways (he'll be heading back to TN) I'll continue onto Tucson -> San Diego -> SF Bay Area.

I'll do my best to keep this updated every few days. But don't hate me if I just ride instead. :D

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're on the way and want to join. The more the merrier!
  2. Crab bait

Crab bait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need a bed and laundry on the North Oregon coast drop me a line.
  3. TwoTiredRiders

TwoTiredRiders Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have fun! Jealous. Freezing here in PA.
    How's the weather down there?
  4. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    It's mid 30's right now. Tomorrow the heated gear will be on for sure.

The further south I head the warmer it'll get :clap
  5. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sportbikes! Oh yeah! IN!
  6. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Day 1 and Two

How the fugly beast looked before we departed

[​IMG]

It was freaking fracking cold. I had my heated vest and grips on max, my insides felt like an over cooked baked potato... But my extremities were numb. Very odd sensation. :huh

Sweet sunset though, somewhere in NorthCakalacky
    [​IMG]

Camped last night at Oyster point/ Bay in the Croatan National Forest. Had one hell of a crazy night. Still nursing off a b1tch'n hang over. Let's say it involved locals, guns booze and hunting dogs.

I rolled into what ever town (3 blocks long) was sort of near by the campsite to grab a tank full of gas. Once I was finished filling the thirsty wench, a massive K10 on 38's rolled up. Two guys in the cab, two guys on a pile of wood on top of a hunting cage full of hounds. It was late, around 10pm. They clearly had never seen such a bike like mine before, so we chatted for a bit.

They asked where I was headed, and where I was staying. I told them the campground right up the road, if I could find it. One of the fellers gave me spot on directions to the best site. Just as I was about to pull away the driver asked where I got my knife (a big Gerber LMF II strapped to my ankle) told him I acquired it while I served in the Air Force. A few minutes later I had an invite to come on down to their bonfire and night of hunting. They'd pick me up in 45 mins at my campsite. I love 'Merica

The truck rolled up. I hopped on the back, on top of the huge pile of wood with the two other guys. Shortly after the truck pulled off the road and blasted through the brush into an open clearing. There was already a blazing bonfire going and 4-5 other trucks there! Now this is what I am talking about!!

Well, I'll edit out the rest of the story. A copious amount of alcohol was consumed... We walked around the woods chasing the dogs in circles for a few hours, fueled by our liquor jackets. There were shots fired, but no casualties. Regular old hunting excursion.

Somehow everyone made it back alive. When all of the booze was consumed I suppose we left? All I know is I woke up in my tent at my campsite the next morning with my anal virginity still intact.

Only to wake up to my USB charger not working, of course... Drunkenly ripped the whole wiring loom apart thinking it was a gremlin issue. But it wasn't... the USB unit itself was all messed up. So I can only charge when I stop for food. I'll get another one wired up over the weekend.

This is what I had to say to that
    [​IMG]

Shortly after finishing my "repair" I heard this odd noise. It was getting louder and louder!
    Rain! Ohhh no! I ran down to the inlet only to see a HUGE front heading directly my way. I tried to grab a picture of the rain pounding on the other side of the bay, but it didn't turn out. So you get my failure of a picture.

[​IMG]

I geared up and got out of dodge asap. Only to hit the storm head on for the next 6 hours as I railed south on US-17.

The hangover kicked in at about 11am this morning. It lasted until about 5pm...

Miles were logged and I made my destination of Charleston, SC. An old friend has offered to put me up for 2 nights. Ahhh couch sleep.
  7. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Day 1 & 2 update
  8. DestinationUnknown

DestinationUnknown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good start to the ride. No way to avoid the cold temps this time of year until getting south.

Locals can offer fun at times. If you remember very little of the previous night, take that as you had a good time. :freaky
    But this time of year, with the hunting seasons, national forest sites can be unpredictable as people use the public lands for camping and hunting.

Looks like a successful hunt judging by the third photo. You slayed yourself a beaver. :lol3
  9. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Even after I passed out yesterday morning there were shots ringing out and dogs barking constantly. Someone was still having a good time :evil

I wouldn't ride anywhere without my sheepskin pad. Best investment besides my aerostich, hands down.

Slept for about 11 hours last night, couch sleep is the best. Here shortly my host is going to take me out and show me what Charleston is all about. It's nice to have a relaxation day after 2 days of bitter cold riding.
  10. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    Crazy how that works, I'm headed down to Columbia, SC then New Orleans on my SV1000 naked in about 2 weeks. I'll be tuned in for any must-see stops.
  11. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I'm riding with the front of the storm... So far about 3 hours straight today of that pesky wet stuff. Blasting West on 78 instead of taking the slab to Birmingham.

It's another cold and wet one.
  12. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Just stopped in Atlanta for the night, remembered one of my good friends just moved out here. Another couch night!

Total hours ridden today, 7. Rained the entire time. :eek1 no pictures, cause well it was pouring.

I'll make it out to Barber tomorrow. A fellow adv riders has offered a place to pitch a tent in his backyard.
  13. DirtyRooster

DirtyRooster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sounds like a fun trip! Take lots of pictures!!
  14. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool trip. Great to see sportbikes going for long distances. Its damn cold when I go outside here in ATL and the forecast is rain and storms for next 24hrs. The reporters were talking about conditions ripe for tornados around AL too.:eek1 Be safe!

Glad to see you added a windscreen for the trip.
  15. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Ended up staying out last night until almost 4am.
    Mezcal is one hell of a mistress.

Luckily today's ride is a short one to Birmingham, but the rain is apparently dumping there. :cry

The bike is actually doing far better than I expected. It's a good thing I slapped on the fly screen! It's nice to be able to tuck for a few mins and get out of the rain.

P_funk, stop in Charleston, at least for a full day. It's a really cool city, good food and brews. If you're serious, shoot me a pm. I'm sure my friend would let you pitch a tent in her yard.
  16. AutoRoc

AutoRoc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of wet weather, how are the PR3 tires treating you?? Or are they PR4's?

Safe travels, it's already quite the journey!
  17. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    You are not kidding about the rain. You looked like a wet dog when you rolled in. It was nice meeting you and hanging out for the evening. Safe travels.
  18. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:

I am a wet dog... :rofl

Thanks again for the bourbon, beers, floor space and breakfast! And extend that thank you to your daughter, I know the last thing she wanted was an inmate sleeping down the hall. :D

The rain finally broke this morning at about 9am as I crossed into Mississippi. 20 South is an odd slab experience, everyone is doing 85+mph, so let's just say I'm making really really good time. :clap Besides that, I am slowly drying out! Finally! I feel like a soggy waffle...

Yesterday in Atlanta, Lincoln Cemetery. Right after I snapped this the sky unleashed water for the next 5 hours.
    [​IMG]

Somewhere along US-78, long and lonely back country meandering road. Very interesting.
    [​IMG]

This morning leaving warriorcoles place, pardon the foggy lens.
    [​IMG]

Half way to New Orleans, the rain finally broke this morning.
    [​IMG]
  19. Freerydejunky

Freerydejunky Hooligan

Oddometer:
    PR4's have been absolutely amazing! I was able to keep up the pace even in the wettest of days. :evil Never a squirm or shake mid corner, nor a hydroplane on the freeway at 70+ mph in horrid down pours. My average speed today was something absurd like 85mph... If that says anything about the tires!

Made it to New Orleans this afternoon with another tentspace hook up from a fellow ADV member. :clap
  20. warriorcole

warriorcole n00b sch00b

Oddometer:
    She always expects the worst when I have folks stay over. I think she expects someone really creepy. She was pleasantly surprised this time. Stop by again someday.