Att Aussie outfit riders...mud and snow tyress

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by 3legs, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    G'day

See attached link to a thread about Vredestein snow and mud tyres.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763661

I e-mailed the local distributor who happens to be Antique tyres and he advised that they can get them in. This is what he e-mailed back......

Thanks for the email on the Vredestein. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    We can bring this tyre in for you on our shipment, that would be pending availability in Holland but I don’t think it would be a problem.<o:p></o:p>
    I have an order with them at the moment that we are just waiting on advise when it will be all ready to send.<o:p></o:p>
    I would be more than happy to bring a few in but we would need a commitment that people would buy them so that we are not left sitting with unsaleable stock.<o:p></o:p>
    I will get price on them for you also. I would be guessing around the $150-$200 mark.<o:p></o:p>
    I hope that this helps out and I look forward to hearing from you.<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers<o:p></o:p>
    Ben<o:p></o:p>

So if any Aussie outfit riders are interested in getting some let me know and I will see if we can put a bulk order in. Not cheap, I know but considering the limited availability (read none) in Australia it's probably not a bad price. I assume freight from their shop to your state will be extra. Let me know asap.

3legs
  2. 3legs

Oddometer:
    Oops sorry about the colour of the writing. It's never done that before:eek1
  3. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    You tard.
  4. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex .Great work :clap
    I have emailed them a few times also , about getting getting some Vredestein snow and mud tyres in for sale .
    They have quoted me around $235.00 each posted to South Australia. But that was to be a special one off order .
    They should be able to do a better price than that getting them over in bulk?:ear
    My quote was for two of them.
    Put me down as interested in buying two please

Cheers Ian
  5. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pops - If this is the right size (165/80-15) for the rim you use, then I'm in for two as well. Thanks for hunting this up 3Legs. I've been searching this week, but only at the 175/65-15 size Andrew2 has been running. It falls an inch short in diameter to a stock road bike tyre, so this should sit taller (I need to check that). Cheers, Mick.
  6. john82q

john82q Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I make it 18.25mm difference Dia between the 2 sizes.

I take it the plan is for snow/off road tyre not the roadie pictured in the other thread.
    Never seen snow or snow tyres, but I understand there a softer compond, so they dont crack in extreme cold.
    Any word on how long this soft compond will last in hot, on road condistions? also is that tread noisy on bitumen?
  7. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mick I have used 165/80.15 ,175/65/15 ,185/55/15 and 195/55/15.rally tyres on our setup.
    I have found i keep coming back to the the 165/80/15 .
    They just seems to work better on our setup.
    I am hoping that with the Vredestein snow and mud tyres I can get the traction i am looking for.

Cheers Ian
  8. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ian. I think traction will be far better than any of the road oriented tyres I have been looking at. Bear in mind that a coarse tread can work against you in sand as it digs in instead of riding over the top. Not an issue for you in 2WD, and should be ok for me as the outfit weight is 'low' compared to a 4WD light truck (Hilux). Reminds me of the old 'Winter tread tyres' we used to use in the old days.

As for sizing, I think the 165 is a far better proposition as well. Wide tyres can have the opposite effect in slippery conditions as the tyre floats on the soft stuff, slips on wet grass, and aquaplanes in the wet. All a function of mass and contact area (and tyre pressure if you want to get fussy). I know the width difference between 175 and 165 is marginal (10mm, or 5mm a side!), but the slightly narrower tread would be a better bet as an all-rounder for me.

Diameters are 25" for the Dunlop Trailmax (and most other dual purpose tyres) in 150/70-17, but the knobby is a little larger in the same size. The 175/65-15 is 24" diameter, and the 165/80-15 is 25.4" diameter. So, the 165/80-15 is the better option for maintaining stock GSA gearing anyway. Remembering that a 1" diameter difference is only 1/2" higher top and bottom.

Ian - I'll sort something out about the other stuff when I return from Nambucca on Sunday night. Have a think on costs with postage and let me know.

I hope this comes off. Well done 3legs for setting it up. Cheers, Mick.
  9. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Nangkang 165 R15 (165/80/15?) on at the moment and the clearance is pretty tight to the swinging arm. Although the Vredstein is notionally the same size (I think?), is it likely that this tyre could be a tad bigger? If not put me down for one.

Cheers,

Adrian
  10. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put me down for a couple as well. I'm in the process of converting to a car wheel on the rear at the moment.
    Phil
  11. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just googling the diameter and section width of the 165 to check the sizes and I notice that the Snow + is also available in a 155/80 R15.. I believe that some people (Phylis?) prefer this slightly smaller size and it would certainly give me a bit more clearance along the swinging arm.

The 155 was also used on the 2CV's that did the Lisbon - Dakar rally in 2007 apparently.

Any thoughts about which might best suit a K1100 with 1 1/2 seater Higgins, mostly road but some dirt tracks?

Cheers,

Adrian
  12. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I've sent a few emails away, looking for the Silverstone s525m and haven't had a reply.

I was just thinking last night that I should be looking for the Vredestein importer (wondered if it was Antique Tyres).

I'll take 2 of the 165s I reckon.

Should we be contacting Antique tyres direct? Or whom is going to take control?

edit:
    I just emailed them, on my own selfish behalf.

Edit no 2;
    Being motivated, I sent an email to Chapel St, Tyres, the Victorian importer of Silverstone, asking about the s525m.
  13. MIXR

MIXR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adrian,

Andrew2 runs a 175 with no clearance issues, although some brands can sit wider than nominal compared to others (particularly if the tread patch is narrow and it has a sidewall bulge).

The 165/80 is 25.5" diam (645mm).
    The 155/80 is 24.8: diam (629mm).

While both are close to stock bike tyre diam, the 155 would give you an extra 12 revolutions per kilometre over the 165 according to the chart I used. No big deal, but it is a slight change in gearing in the wrong direction. I'd rather stay with the 165 and keep the gearing I have now (less rpm by a smidge).

You probably already know this, but the '80' in a 165/80 or 155/80 is 80% tyre height of the nominal width, so it's 80% of 165mm or 155mm.
  14. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $75US and $150-$200 for us.How does that work:huh.I mean it's not like they're bringing them in special like.They're in a container already coming over here:baldy

A2
  15. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day, thanks for the responses. I have e-mailed Ben from Antique tyres advising him that we could probably order at least 11 maybe more and he will get back to me whether it's worth it or not. I also asked him if the order goes ahead, how to pay and any freight costs etc.

Andrew, I know what you mean considering our dollar is better than the yanks but I guess it all comes down to supply and demand. USA-Hundreds, AUS- 11.

Will let you guys know the moment I know anything.

3legs
  16. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Andrew2 .
    When i talked to Antique tyres about getting some in for me .A while ago
    They said they get them from Europe .Where they are made, not from the USA.
    They do not bring them into Australia as a norm, as there was not the demand .
    So every order will have to be a one off. Air freight$$$$.

If like 3legs said they are getting a container of tyres over by ship soon. It would be cheaper for freight. :1drink

Cheers Ian
  17. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just so you guys know Elmer, Abenteuerfahrer , was looking for one of these last Spring and every dealer he called in the U.S. did not have any so I checked with my local Mom and Pop shop up here in the mountains and he checked around and said he could on ly find one so I grabbed it for Elmer. I needed a new tire on mine a couple of weeks ago so I went to the same shop and he said he could get all I wanted since it was Winter and the warehouses are stocked up on them.

I only have about 200 miles on mine so far so I can't say how long they will last but it looks like a lot harder compound than other snow tires I have had and Elmer said after 1,300 miles he has not noticed any wear so they might just last. Elmer also said that he has had his out in the sand and mud and they work really well.

Just figured I would chime in with what I know so far, good luck guys.

Dana
  18. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    I fllowed up on the Silverstone. No joy at all. The current motor sport importer (Victoria) is Seemore Motor Sport. The fellow said that, if he was VERY lucky, there may be one or two of the 185, 195 or 205 widths still in the country. Reckon'd that the 165 would be rocking horse shit here.
    And he wasn't interested in trying to import them.

His advise was to contact a dealer in Europe (Demon-Tweeks has a web site) and see if they would try to POST tyres.

I'm going to let the Vredestien enquiry run for a bit to see if it pans out first.
  19. 3legs

Oddometer:
    G'day

Cheers Dirty DR for the contact. I have just received an e-mail from Ben at Antiques and he his happy with the response. He is getting in contact with Vredestein in Holland to get a more accurate price. Will let you guys know as I know.

Please advise if you know of any one else who wants to order some (thanks Ray for your PM).

Cheers

3legs
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just emailed Antique tyres about getting in a couple of the Vredsteins in 155/80, though I have said 165 will be fine if they can't get them, so if we're counting myorder is now for 2 tyres.

Cheers,

Adrian