Triumph explorer Quick road trip to SoCal

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rlmankins, Oct 28, 2013.

1. rlmankins

rlmankins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding my new Triumph Explorer. Went to Dana Point Friday. Left Pahrump about 11:30 am, through Shoshone, Hwy 127 to Baker. Just an amazing road through the desert, twisties, elevation changes, desert landscapes that are outstanding, unfortunately a 55 mph speed limit that seems to be ignored completely.

Got to Baker, hit I15 south, normal traffic, 90 mph and being passed regularly. Bike is in full song at that speed, triple makes a rumble that just sounds right. Gas milage suffers, about 35 mpg at that speed. Very quick trip, 3 hours 45 minutes including 2 stops for fuel, approx 300 miles.
    Wandered around the harbor, dinner at Salt Creek, superb, stayed in a friends sailboat, up early. Harbor is the best, great weather, scenery, boats, people watching, maybe an adult beverage or 2.

Up the next morning, Ortega Highway to Lake Elsinore. One of my favorite motorcycle roads, cops and wrecked cars at bottom of hill, clear after that. The reminder of bad judgement at the bottom helped keep things practical. Very Quick run up hill, Ducatti reminded me I was riding an adventure bike but bike was quite respectable regardless.

The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Seat was bad for long days, cut out foam, put gel pad in, airhawk over gel pad, memory foam over that. Put seat cover back on, drilled hole in bottom of seat pan for air hose. Seat height is same but it works now. Now 400 mile days are great, have not had time for longer trips yet.

Went to Pro 2 Races in Elsinore, friends son drives, 900 hp 4100 lb truck around an offroad course, frequently 25 ft in air off jumps, awesome.

After race, stopped at Chapparel to buy some dual sport tires, decided to do more research. Form there home was completely crazy, freeway running 95 to 100 all the way to Baker. Was so relived to get on back road home where I could slow down. I felt like I was going to be run over every minute on the freeway. Stopped at the Mad Greeks for a Gyro and Strawberry shake. Passing Dumont Dunes on a Staurday night during season is pretty amazing. 10,000 acres of sand dunes, 20,000 people, place lit up like a city, can hear the roar of the v8 buggies from 10 miles away.

Back through Shoshone, home at 9:30 pm. 700 miles, day and half, break from regular routine, why I ride motorcycles.
  2. PapaYolk

PapaYolk happy camper

Oddometer:
    Used to ride over the Ortega and down the beach around the point to the tide pools on our CT 90s when I was a boy, back before they built the marina. Your report makes me miss the ocean. Was going to ride over 74 this summer, but it was closed and used for staging firefighters. Did go through Shoshone to watch my sis sing in Pahrump. She lives and works in Furnace Creek. Yes, your report makes me miss the sea, but not Southern Cal. One day visit sounds about right.
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on that triple. Those bikes just look right inho. When I sit on them, it just fits me correctly, like my RT.

Ortega Hwy can still be a great ride, most times. Weekends can be tough, no surprise. The LEO's are lurking, thats for sure.

I've ridden Ortega 3 times the past 2 weeks, on different bikes each time. A week ago, I was part of a group scooter ride out of Long Beach to the Temecula wine country, and that was a blast.

You missed some great riding country just SE of Elsinore. Out 79 to Warner Springs and Lake Henshaw. Side trip down to Borrego, then up to Palomar Mtn., and there is more in between. Oh, just catch it next time.
  4. rlmankins

rlmankins Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will. Always looking for great places to ride.