620 mutistrada

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Mz660, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Mz660

Mz660 Rydethere

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I am down in Salem, Oregon and just happen to stop {after asking directions @ the car bmw dealer} by the honda/ducati/bmw dealer to look at all those pretty Monsters. {been toying with the thought of a 620 dark :D } When a sales guy asks if I had considered the multistrada in that same size, because it has an upright seating position. Well, i han't. But what the heck, I'll look & sit on one. And now I want one:cry . I am not doing any real off-roading ( a.k.a. NONE) and i am cummting everyday about 50 miles (round trip). So, I must ask, does anyone have this bike? Do u like it? Are there any real issue's with the bike {other than service costs} ? Please please share........ {give me some ammo for the Wife:wink: }
  2. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    For model year 2007 Ducati is supposed to be upping the 620 monster to a 695, I don,t know but they may also up the Strada and I can see the old 620's getting discounted as their not one of the fastest movers.
  3. Elseanno

Elseanno Drunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    I have heard only great things about this bike. It's a Ducati, so service is a little more demanding and parts take longer and cost more... There seem to be some problems with the gauges but most of the other stuff seems like onesy-twosey and not inemic problems. I rode the Multi Strada 1000 and have heard that the 620 is just as sweet!

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/view/Duc-DP

Elseanno
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    The Baby Strada will definitely be a 695 for '07, and both Ducati dealers I have been in recently were pushing the 620 like no tomorrow. Coincidence? I think not. There must be some extra incentive for selling them right now.

I rode one on Sunday. Damn comfortable, light, fun. Zippy performance, but nothing to write home about. Comparable to a wee strom. Not enough engine for me, and I only weigh in around 170 with riding gear on. Even though the maintenance requirements for the air cooled 2 valves are not nearly as bad as the testastrettas there is still too much maintenance cost for such a relatively inexpensive bike unless you do the work yourself.
  5. Elseanno

Elseanno Drunk Monkey

Oddometer:
  6. someone

someone in Athens

Oddometer:
    www.multistrada.net is a great forum worth checking out before you take the plunge...

be warned though, there are almost as many downsides in owning a multi as there are good things about it, check out the problem forum on the site and you might be a bit shocked with what the multistradisti put up with :evil
  7. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only thing I can add is that I really want one, but the hard bags are $900 and apparently aren't very good.
  8. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    I read that MZ is going under you could pick up a Baghira up for cheap!!!:ear
  9. DesmoHead

DesmoHead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are the bags very different then the ones on the ST? I love the ones on the ST2. Easy to take of, waterproof, and hold a full face helmet.
  10. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if they are the same or not. Above based on whining at multistrada.net, so they may be perfectly good, that group is pretty hard on themselves. I don't recall the specific complaint, may have been size.
  11. 15578

15578 Alea iacta est

Oddometer:
    Most of the 80% increase in Ducati sales is due to the multi. The 620 a heck of a deal, put a 14 sproket and pipes and whoohooo..

for more go here http://www.multistrada.net/forum/

Fred
  12. Threeflys

Threeflys Eternal newbie

Oddometer:
    I sat on one in a dealer and it felt really good, I test rode one and didn't like it at all! It felt really small (i'm only 5'8",200#) and I felt like the seat was pushing me forward. It was REALLY fast and zippy though! I think I'd go for a WeeStrom although I haven't ridden one yet, they feel more comfortable in the showroom.
    Chris
  13. Mz660

Mz660 Rydethere

Oddometer:
    Those are two things that i liked about the bike.:D And thanks for all the resources. I will do a bit of researching as well as looking at the wee-storm. But that article on onewheeldrive.com was good ammo (for me :huh )
  14. Shakey

Shakey Adventure Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I know the person who bought that bike that was used in that onewheeldrive article. :D
    I like the bike it looks better in person IMO.
    A super commuter bike. It gets alot of looks from people when you are driving it.
    I like the matte black .
    Unless your the type who needs the latest and greatest ,the fact that a newer larger 695 MS is coming out should not matter.

Cheers
  15. uconnapharm

uconnapharm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    re: you hearing that MZ is going under ;
    would that be : 1) just the USA distributor , or 2) the manufacturer in Germany ??
    And is this rumour or has it been verified in the "press" ?
  16. TTTom

TTTom some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    I've got a Multistrada 620 that I picked up last June, currently at around 7K miles

I've had only one problem but it was major, at the first service all the valves were in spec but both exhaust valve guides were loose so the heads had to be pulled and the valve guides replaced. this is NOT a common problem with Ducs so i guess I just got lucky

other than that its been a really fun bike, it absolutely rules on the local mountain roads and crappy broken pavement. it's fine on dirt roads and you can get from point A to point B on logging trails, etc as long as you take it easy and remember that it's NOT an offroad bike

the problem with the panniers was the lead times. Ducati had been using Fandago and when they went out of business last year Givi was chosen as the new supplier and it took them forever to ramp up. when you buy the panniers you get an extra lock/key set so if you buy a Givi top case you can have common keys on everything.

from the dyno chart I saw it looks like the 695cc engine will be outstanding... on the other hand you should be able to pick up some smoking deals on a 620 now
  17. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lotta guys here wouldn't think that a very fair trade.:D
  18. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    Kenny editorial director at motorcycle USA mentions it in the talk back section after the 2006 adventure comparo his quote was "to bad MZ is closing shop" that's all I have heard about it! I was hoping somebody else had more info on that!
  19. Mz660

Mz660 Rydethere

Oddometer:
    Since I am "working" on the wife :amazon , I have a bit of time. The faster the bigger duc comes out, the better. Great bargining chip on the 620.

As for MZ, i heard they pulled out of US. And although they are great bikes, they can not be compared to the multi (imho) anyway.
  20. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took the FZ1 into the local Duc shop today to get the stupid, mandatory safety inspection and while there I sat on a 620 Dark. I liked it a lot. Nice and lght, good leg room, bars in the perfect place. It sat a lot like my
    R100GS. They wouldn't do a demo ride though, so.....