2014 DV nOOb Rally, Mar 27-30

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rider914, Mar 25, 2014.

1. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear the party is getting started :clap

[​IMG]

Post your Ride Reports here :deal

Let's hear some stories and see some pics ...
    - Your rig ready to roll
    - On the road to PSR
    - Early arrivals
    - First carnage

Show us what you got!

:lurk

-M
    (aka "Slacker" :bluduh)
  2. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be painful... :cry
  3. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:

:nod

:cry
  4. Heakle

Heakle Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I am SO ready to leave in the morning!!!!!

Attached Files:

5. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sleep, take kids to school, pack ice chest, tie some stuff down, leave towards PSR ahead of schedule
  6. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Work, sleep, work, sleep, work half a day and blow off Friday afternoon to leave early.

[​IMG]
  7. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

But right now it is pouring buckets outside. Hopefully it will lighten up.
    See you tomorrow.
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    No broken legs!:eek1

Or you'll have to set up a bed in my parent's living room to keep me company:lol3
  9. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ready for early morning departure :clap
    [​IMG]
  10. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    5.1 earthquake. :huh No damage at parent's house except for picking stuff up and rehanging pictures. Lots of aftershocks!
  11. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I'm home early... no broken legs! It was a good time, but a 50 mile dirt loop this morning was about all the fun I could survive in one weekend. I was planning to leave Sunday morning anyway and was pretty worn out after our ride, so I packed up the camp. East to Beatty and then hit 95 south to Las Vegas, and 3 hours later I'm home, unpacked, and showered.

A few guys left before I did... I helped load up a bike Friday night after they arrived from the Bay area but he was too sick to ride and getting sicker... so they headed back home to SF. Kudos to your missus for having a great sense of humor, or at least a lot of tolerance.

I saw one broken collarbone today... that swollen purple shoulder area looked painful. Good luck on getting home and getting your bike back home.

Thanks to the Cali guys that I rode with today after my intended ride disintegrated... I didn't get any pictures- I was too busy picking my bike up off the ground and trying not to slow the group (too much). But it was fun, and I appreciate you guys waiting for me and looking out for me.

Shout out to Browneye and his family.. great job on the shirts!! And thanks for looking after my raffle tickets for me.
    Another hello to Darryl and the gang from Kent WA, (thanks for the beer!) Those guys are putting out a terrific product with their LED lighting technology. I'll be buying a set of those from you real soon, I promise!
    It was also good to meet the SENA guys there showing support, they do a great job of standing behind their product with firmware updates.

On the drive in Friday afternoon, just inside the park with Beatty off in the distance.
    [​IMG]

A great view of the mountains overlooking a Jimmy Lewis class last night.. interesting stuff that I was able to (attempt to) put to use on our ride today. Thanks Jimmy!!
    [​IMG]
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :lurk
  13. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The best part of this year's rally was my college-kid Nicholas coming home for spring break and riding with the old man. :D

Was a pleasure seeing everybody stop by for their t-shirts - great way to put faces to ADV names. We heard a lot of "You got any shirts?" :lol3

A big hand for Joel for organizing a huge event that went off successfully. A big thanks to all that pitched in to make it great.

Hunter Cabin

[​IMG]

Teakettle Junction

[​IMG]

Race Track

[​IMG]

Ubehebe Crater

[​IMG]
  14. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    T-Shirts we're great Chris. Glad you got to ride with your sun. It was good to see you and a lot of others again.

Thanks to Joel for another great event!
  15. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tim and I left wed. getting to psr and the wind about 2. no sense pitching
    tents in the wind so off to thompson canyon alas mist have made a wrong turn and came to this. since we are basically suckole' at riding and it being our first day we opted not to chance hurting bikes or bodies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday tim, brother robin, his son matt, and our neighbor George did wildrose scenic tour,

[​IMG]

dust control

[​IMG]
    robin
    [​IMG]

tim
    [​IMG]

yes, i'm a tree hugger

yellow throat phacilia and Mojave aster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

park taking the death out of death valley
    [​IMG]

matt and tim in the narrows towards augie's pt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

augie's pt, can you hear me now?

[​IMG]

Friday we were off to 'the valley' George and his pal Charles joined us knowing full well we were slow, no not Canadians, but riders. at stove pipe we added two more, sorry I can't recall your names but were on a klr and a wee. they too were warned. by the time we were off from furness creek we were back down to 4. they made a wise choice. took the 2 noobs to see artist pallet then off to beatty for gas, back to rhyolite and titus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hiiii, simply hiiiiii

[​IMG]

got to towne pass and matt pulls over saying the bike doesn't feel right.
    go figure..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so no probby, I have a spare. a big rv pulled over and asked if we want to use his air, sure! I was careful but must have pinched the replacement tube. a very attractive women pulled up and asked if she could help. sure! matt, you'll be ok by yourself for awhile right? then I raise my glance out her side window I see robin and tim with the trailer.
    big todd rolled up with his group and I rode back with them, matt with the truck. somewhere on the way back matt notices the bike fell over, strap broke. dumb luck they had the bike in the center chalk.

sat. of for hunter mt and points beyond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tim was totally worn out waiting for the road to open to Scotties
    [​IMG]

survived the wind sat nite and sunday morn did a quick trip to......

[​IMG]

joel, thanks again for putting the rally together. how soon do you need money for next year?
  16. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Bill! It was nice meeting and riding with your group on Thursday. My buddy Charlie hated all the street riding on Friday but enjoyed Titus Canyon. Riding the KTM dirt bike seat made him saddle sore! LOL. The two other riders that joined us were Gary on his KLR and Jeff on his Strom. Jeff rode with us to Ryolight and hesitated at first to ride the dirt through Titus Canyon. But he manned up and took on the challenge! He did awesome! Charlie ripped once he got on the dirt and I followed Jeff to make sure he was comfortable on the dirt. I stopped to adjust the spare gas I was carrying for the KTM. After I caught up, I saw Jeff hit some soft sand and fell over. Someone stopped to help him pick up his bike. Jeff re-mounted and killed it the rest of the way! Nice job Jeff!

On Saturday Gary took Charlie and I to Teakettle Junction and the Raceway. Charlie enjoyed the ride better this time since it was mostly dirt. I had a few "moments" hitting 4th gear pinned on the BMW and found out how much the GSA is NOT a real dirt bike! The BMW just sucks in the soft stuff. After second guessing myself and imagining certain death riding through Lippencott road, i manned up and went for it. I have to say the road itself is easy if your in a jeep or real dirt bike. But after riding the GSA through it, I realized the loose rocks suck too! Having to squeeze by a hummer and two jeeps on the worst section of the road didn't help either! LOL.

Keep in touch and hope to ride with you all again.

George
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics Bill, looks like you are getting this computer thingy figured out.
  18. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Jo and I hauled out Thursday and based out of Stovepipe Wells. This picture was taken by the girl who eventually reported us to the rangers as missing which we were not. She thought we were coming back Friday when we were planning to return Saturday. Wishful thinking on her part?
    [​IMG]

Our plan was to go camp at the hot springs. On the road:
    [​IMG]

Jo on Saline Valley Road. The flowers were really blooming here.
    [​IMG]

Me on the same road:
    [​IMG]

Jo and Pablo at the hot springs:
    [​IMG]

One of the showers and pools at the springs.
    [​IMG]

My camping spot. I was woken up by a burro who then woke up a coyote. :rofl
    [​IMG]

Pablo and Jo checking enjoying the view :evil
    [​IMG]

Heading back to PSR the next afternoon, we stopped to smell the flowers that were blooming in south pass:
    [​IMG]

After fueling up at PSR and having dinner Friday, we headed to camp to ask for directions to the Osborne cabin. Matt said it's off of Nadeau road and not far from camp. "Do not go to Lookout City", he said; "It's rocky and really tough." Well, we thought we were on the right road to Osborne...
    [​IMG]

Turns out we were well on our way to Lookout City via a rock garden route.
    [​IMG]

Unable to make it any further in the dark, I rode up to the beginning of the switchbacks and headed back to share the bad news with Jo. Exhausted, we decided to camp in place and ride out in the morning.

Later that evening, a couple of quads and razors came down and confirmed our suspicions - we were on the LO City road.

Sunrise from our granite outcropping:
    [​IMG]

Morning light. We were the only two humans around:
    [​IMG]

Riding back down to Nadeau road in daylight, we were able to explore our surroundings making the best of being lost :)
    [​IMG]

We ran into Lior and Moshi on Nadeau Road who mentioned that two guys were lost who matched our descriptions. We thought they were talking about two guys out of PSR so we didn't think anything of it. We rode onto Ballarat.
    [​IMG]

At Ballarat, we were told that it was US the rangers were looking for so we bee lined it back to Stovepipe wells to set the record straight.
    [​IMG]

After a late lunch at Stovepipe Wells, we rode out to Wildrose to check out the charcoal kilns.
    [​IMG]

The gate to Mahogany Flat campground was open so we rode up there too. There's a gate leading to the peak that was closed. @ 8300', it was freezing up there!
    [​IMG]

Back at Stovepipe Wells, the winds were ripping through the campground. We decided to sleep in the open on the trailer instead of putting up the tents. We had to lash the sleeping pads down to the trailer to keep them from blowing away though!
    [​IMG]

It was good seeing familiar faces on the trail again as well as meeting some new ones. See you guys :)
  19. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    You guys were on the Look Out City road. The rock on the right side of the third picture looks like the one Jo and I camped on top of on Friday.
  20. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    amazing the results you can get with a threat of 220v and a single jack