Fun with Outright Junk

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :lurk

:huh
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Must have improved power by 30% or more over the stock filter system" I think BS sounds the same in any language dont you?

I would guess the main reason why Honda restricted the TLR air boxes by fitting the flame trap, was to stop those using the bikes for trail or road riding, from blowing motors when ridden flat out for extended periods of time. Removing the flame trap, and carrying out a few simple and inexpensive mods to the intake and exhaust system, transforms the TLR, and cost is less than a pair of tyres.

Myths about KN filters seem to have arisen along the same lines as the nonsense about 2T oils, which means many trials riders are using scooter oils intended for autolube systems, at mix ratios which are very likely to cause motors to wear out quicker, as well as running the risk of corrosion damage.
    The scooter oils are commonly thinned using around 20% kerosene, yet are marketed by greedy oil manufacturers as being fully "synthetic".

This saves money in that many accept the fact that its ok to run scooter oil at ratios such as 80 or even 100:1, in their trials bikes, and means there is no need for the manufacturer to provide a proper fully synthetic pre-mix only 2T oil (which is fine to use at 80-100:1 mix ratios).

It obviously costs more to produce a fully synthetic pre-mix only product, but as customers seem happy to believe ridiculous oil company advertising blurb, they end up paying the same price for a scooter oil, as they would a proper pre-mix product from a reputable manufacturer..............................

Seems pretty much the same situation with KN filters, with the only difference here being that customers choose to believe KN advertising blurb, rather than proper independent testing carried out to ISO standards using the correct industry standard test methods.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    And all this coming from a sane man pushing the benefits of chinese pit bikes as high performance up grades?!?:rofl:rofl:rofl

PS As far as oils, I have never seen a trials rider on this side of the pond using scooter oil. Must be that china performance connection ISO 00000000000.
  5. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry I said anything. :rolleyes

My apologies, everyone.
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

The Chinese pit bike CDI units provide a stronger spark as well as more advance at lower engine speeds, and this in combination with inexpensive changes to the intake and exhaust systems, provides much improved performance (£15 CDI also means no need for messing around changing cam timing).

As to scooter oils, I wonder how many riders are using a "fully synthetic" oil which doesnt have PRE-MIX USE ONLY marked very clearly on the container?

Anything which isnt marked in this way will very likely be a JASO approved low smoke product, which is designed primarily for use in scooter autolube systems, although its perfectly ok for trials bikes as long as 50:1 ratios are being used.

Seems strange that anyone riding a 2T trials bike would want to risk engine damage, by using an oil thats simply not suitable for using at anything over 50:1 mix ratio? Not to worry though, I guess dealers are happy to take the money for replacement main bearings, big ends, pistons, cylinders, etc..............
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Well...in light of the opinion that I've done nothing right on OJ so far, I still had...Fun... on it today -

[​IMG]

:D
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride! Looks like you cleared it easily, which is not easy on a reflex. Lazy me finally pulled the topend off the cota. Sure enough about 8 shiny dings in the head and piston. Will try to split it this week. Either mains or rod. I did remove everything else before the top end, knowing it was not gonna be easy.:cry:1drink:1drink:1drink
  9. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Hey, thanks! :thumb

Ouch! Luck on that. You are missed in NMTA Twinshock. It's no fun without ya! :D
  10. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="318" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1925692553_GfF4WQb?width=425&height=318"></iframe>
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Smooooth Brewtus! :thumb

It's nice watching that at work with the sound down. I can imagine that thing making actual motorcycle noises! :rofl
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And thanks for pushing me to do it (I had chickened out 4 times on the 3rd obstacle before this was recorded.) :D

:bluduh

Thanks Grizzzly for recording it (and not posting the 4 "chicken out" attempts that you also recorded :lol3) :clap
  13. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:

dont you know this isnt your thread anymore :lol3
  14. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

Bet me. :evil
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeffs very cool flatrack thread:thumb
  16. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:

Thanks I like to do stupid things on a bike that many people told me was a turd...but still manage to beat a few people in the process. That is why even though I rarely do any trials I still comeback and check this thread :clap I feel I have a connection with Brewtus's adventures :D
  17. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Brewtus,

Unwad the panties, lol. :lurk

if there was NOT some posts in this (formerly your thread) it would be boring to come in and see what is up > look> nothing is up or said.

I post and moan about Twinshocker, and I get rough with him in my replies, which right now I promise to reform myself.

but Even so, jeeez, look at all the new stuff to read, when you get here after I or someone freaks out? Hahahaha.
  18. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your replies dont bother me in the slightest.............if anything I find them mildly amusing! Unfortunately a lot of people reading threads on here, are likely to take those from the people who shout loudest as being most accurate!
  19. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:

Hehehee, yep.

Looky there, more stuff to read though...
  20. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

I wonder how long have you been riding trials, and whether or not you come from an engineering background of some sort?