Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Splendidtutional

Splendidtutional What does that mean?

Oddometer:
    While getting on base today, I had the gate guard ask me, "Do they let you ride a Dirt Bike on the street?" I was on my G650GS, so I was a bit confused until I realized that I suppose it does resemble a dirt bike. I simply responded, " yeah, if you make them street legal." (still not realizing she was talking about my BMW). I then realized what she was referring to, and told her what the bike was. Weird conversation... :norton
  2. Tuna Helper

Tuna Helper Rawrr!

Oddometer:
    Wow, I laughed and had to explain to my roommate what that pic is from. Certainly did not expect to think of that movie in this thread.
  3. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    YAMALUBE :rofl
  4. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    Not in . . . on. One employs suitable wood finish oils to maintain wood-bodied instruments. :wink:

GUITAR FINISHING WITH TRU-OIL®
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:

Hell yeah! It's fun to let a kid sit on your bike and go "vroom vroom".

I like to let them honk the horn. On my Vee and GS, this activates a very, very, very, very loud Stebel. Some kids start crying, but most just grin and keep mashing the button until I turn off the key.
  6. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

I remember nipping into the Real Canadian Superstore near Rupert Skytrain Station in Vangroovey and

coming out to find both a huge Indian and his little boy admiring my 1100GS. (Native Canadians) :norton

We sat the little guy on the seat and chatted for a bit.

As I was headed over to friends who had a 5 year old who was dying for permission to

have a ride around the block, I offered this little guy one.

We rode around the parking lot; when I asked if he wanted a second round, he just nodded.

He never said a word, or altered his expression that I could see.

Afterwards, as I was leaving, I asked the Dad how old the little guy was.

Almost fell of my bike when he answered "Almost three."

(He was a really BIG two year old!!!!)

It was their first time in the city.

He tells the little guy's Mom about this, it'll be his last too!!! :rofl

Never could tell my friends' son that some baby got a ride, and he couldn't have one.

Wonder if that experience will lead him to decide to ride later in life...
  7. Big Red

Big Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a great story! My little guy (not quite two yet) loves having a sit on the bike with Dad. Too young to have a ride yet, but he's worked it out, used to love just sitting in front of me on the seat, no he stretches out along the tank to get a handful of the bars and make all the light noises
  8. ERD

ERD Custom Rider

Oddometer:
    He: "Is it a Ducati?"
    Me: "No, it's a Buell, An American Motorcycle"
    He: "Huh?...."
    Me: "It's the peformance division of the Harley that was closed in 2009"

Usually the conversation continues with something like I didn't know there was a American-made performance motorcycle or Buells were the red-headed step-child of Harley..."
  9. Big Red

Big Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised I've had that a few times too, but I'm on a grotty old (ie, half restored) Honda...
  10. GI_JO_NATHAN

GI_JO_NATHAN Long timer

Oddometer:
    It have a lot of valve rattle..:evil
  11. Big Red

Big Red Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...probably, can't really hear it over the cam-chain noise though :p
  12. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the whole thread but my most hated question is, "staying dry?" when it's pouring out.
    :kboom:eek2
  13. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a guy approach me yesterday, said he really liked my bike, what kind is it? What size? He walked around it, nodding. Saying "Yeah, nice. I like it."

Then he asks, "Do you smell exhaust fumes when you ride?"

Huh?

He pointed to my exhaust, and asks sort of rhetorically, "Do you smell like exhaust fumes after you ride?" He goes on to tell me about a bike he had which had "shorty pipes," and he said that whenever he rode it he could smell exhaust and his clothes smelled when he got off the bike. :eek1

I told him I'd never had a problem. My bike had the stock exhaust.

He told me to be safe and walked on.

Oy vey. Guys riding around breathing carbon monoxide. No wonder Harley riders can't ride. :lol3

Jamie
  14. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I walked into work today, and one of the HR guys asked me what kind of meeting I was prepared for. I kind of looked at him funny, then he pointed out my gear and said "you look like you are dressed for war."

:huh
  15. FloorPoor

FloorPoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got one from a new kid at work the other day. Apparently I passed him on the way in and when he pulled up he said "Nice bike, is it a Ninja?" I had to take a double take from him, to my filthy, beat up, first gen KLR, and back to him again to see if he was serious. He was. I was a bit dumbfounded and tried not to be condescending when I pointed at the big stupid looking letters on the gas tank that say K.L.R. and said, "Uh, no, it's a KLR, kind of a dirtbike thing."

The next day one of the bosses was outside when I pulled up. He said with a smirk "Are you cold?" I said, from inside my coveralls and iced up helmet, "Not as cold as yesterday" I wasn't sure what else to say.
  16. W4lnutz

W4lnutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was sitting in the bench giving plasma and a guy seen my helmet on the floor and he asked what it was for:evil

I said uh it completes the ensemble:D
  17. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    You should have told him that you carry the helmet in case you feel light-headed, then you quickly put it on while you're crashing to the floor.
  18. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What Honda do you have? I had a CB900F which was a great bike but the cam chain would rattle terribly at about 45 miles an hour which is what I'd drive it at in the city. On the highway though the dual range transmission air suspension and shaft drive were great.

Chad
  19. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time, answer him that you have one of the rare 4 stroke bikes and it's why yours don't smell.
  20. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    I love that one. I don't get as wet riding in my 'Stich as they get walking to their car in the rain. ATGATT!