Dual Sport Trailer assembly thread

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by SouthWest Roamer, Jan 13, 2006.

1. MrBracket

MrBracket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I am collecting parts and fabbing up the first production run of these trailers, I'll learn what they really cost to build. After this initial run, I'll modify the webpage to have prices and make it so people can actually purchase trailers. I do know the trailers after the first five will be more than $500.... So far it's looking like they will be closer to $700, but that's not yet for sure, obviously I'm not done building the first five yet!

I do have a teaser pic of frame #001.. I sent this over to my friend at ProCycle, he's buying this one and has been whining ever since I asked for the prototype back....

[​IMG]

The lower one is the prototype. You can see that the production models will be 3" longer in the mid-section to clear bulkier licence plate/tail light assemblies. I've been building welding fixtures all week, the upper frame is the first one built on these fixtures. Obviously still a lot to do.... As I mentioned earlier, the first five will come with a fender which I am still hammering out the details on... Fun, Fun, Fun!!!
  2. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    I'm really glad I got in on this when I did. After looking into the cost of a decent pannier setup, I really think this is a more viable option for my DR650. I'm really excited to give one of these a go!

Here's a pic of each side of my rear axle. Let me know if you need anything else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    All that you will need is a fuji style nut to replace your castle nut and cotter pin. I will supply you with one. I bought a few from procycle the other day.
  4. walkergreenlabel

walkergreenlabel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the hole in the axle will fit a 3/8" shaft almost all the way thru. I think I will have to drill the last couple of inches out by a 1/16" or so. the axle has a taper to it.
  5. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    This could be exciting news! However, do you think it's safe to drill it out? I have not looked at the XR650R axle myself, I quickly looked at the XR650L axle and ruled it out. Would you be willing to post some pics of your axle and the Outside and Inside dimensions, and the overall length? Best if you could remove it for the measuring and pics... If not, no worries, I'll get ahold of one soon.
  6. TrainedChimp

TrainedChimp Consistently wrong

Oddometer:
    Darn, my Dakar has a tapered axle hole - about 1/4" at the narrowest end.
  7. walkergreenlabel

Oddometer:
    I will try and pull the axle clean it up and take some acurate measurements of length and ID at both ends. I will use some drill bits to try and get a profile of the ID end to end. I dont want to modify the BRP axle if I don't have to. close to the end where the nut tighens the axle it narrows to 11/32 or maybe to 5/16.

I was considering the tapered ID of the axle. I was thinking of making a tapered bushing or possilby a tapered axle. My concern is that the trailer axle will not stay square to the bike frame or cause the trailer axle to bend in the bike axle.

Are the axles welded to the frame or are they removable? Have you completed the first 5 yet?
  8. walkergreenlabel

Oddometer:
    there was mention of a fender. were you thinking of a fender for the bike or trailer tire or both? any picks of the prototype or mock up?
  9. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    I'd take the trailer rod that goes thru the axle to someone with a lathe to thin it in the right spots vs drill my axle, if it we're my bike...just sayin':eek1

10. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Where there was one, now there is two!!!!

Here are a couple pics of the first production trailer, frame #001... the one in back is the original proto-type.

[​IMG]

This is how the first one's will look, complete with the rear fender.

[​IMG]

And a shot hooked to a bike....

[​IMG]

The fender will be a great place to put stickers! I'm picturing a ADV oval right on the back..... I'm still hoping to have the first five production trailers done before Thanksgiving...
  11. TrainedChimp

TrainedChimp Consistently wrong

Oddometer:
    If there were a good way to make that work with my Dakar I would say out me on the list for # 6.
  12. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Wow those are looking great!
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet rig.
  14. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super Cant wait
  15. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Can you show how it attaches? Do you have to remove the wheel?

Is it going to be easy to drop the trailer in camp and go ride?
  16. MrBracket

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the compliments guys! I'm excited, the first production one is much more refined than the prototype.

Yes, it's very easy to attach and remove, no tools are required. The hitch pin is just a long 3/8" bolt that inserts from one side and threads into a nut on the other side. The head of the bolt has large wings so you can tighten it by hand and the nut is fixed to the hitch on the other side. There is a safety device that keeps it from comming undone while riding.

While your motorcycle is on it's kickstand, you move the trailer into position and insert the hitch pin (long bolt). If the trailer has a heavy load, it's easier with two people, one to steady the trailer and one to insert the hitch pin.

Removing the trailer is just as easy. Park the bike, remove the hitch pin, and lower the trailer to the ground. Again, it's awkward if the trailer is loaded, it can be done, it's just awkward. If I'm by myself, I just unload most of the weight out of the trailer before installing or removing it.

I do NOT recommend modifing the Hitch Pin to fit a bike with a smaller ID rear axle. If you lathe down the hitch pin, you will remove the threads that hold it in place. I will come up with a hitch to fit the Honda XR bikes in the future as these are popular bikes.
  17. Joe883

Joe883 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any chance these will be available in the future for bikes like the Triumph Scrambler? It would be more ideal than my current trailer that I pulled with my now KIA Sportster.

Joe
  18. walkergreenlabel

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics...

left side of the axle.

Attached Files:

19. walkergreenlabel

Oddometer:
    right side axle

Attached Files: