Colombia info

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by lexluther11, Apr 20, 2015.

1. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to South America this fall and just trying to get as much information as I can? I'm flying from Vancouver to Bogotá Colombia with my motorcycle as cargo. I'm told it will take 4 hours for my motorcycle to be unloaded ready for pick-up. I'm amusing I'll get my tourist visa when I go through customs. Where would I need to go for a permit and insurance for my motorcycle?

Thanks for your help........:D
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    This info is a couple of years old, but typically, you would get your import permit in the DIAN office in the old cargo terminal. I picked up the bike at the new cargo terminal, a short walk from the passenger terminal and the old cargo terminal. However, I shipped to Bogota a couple of times and the last time I vaguely remember going to a different DIAN office instead of the one at the old cargo terminal.

Hopefully someone with more recent info can chime in here.

This is the office at the old cargo terminal.

[​IMG]

When I shipped with GIRAG they would not release the bike to me before I had all the paperwork. A couple of years ago they didn't have a SOAT office at the airport to buy insurance and I had to get it in the city, but SOAT is mandatory in Colombia.
  3. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did everything in the new cargo terminal last June. It was a quick process handle by a friendly Colombian lady.
    You'll love Colombia. I stayed with some guys from Club Moto Rally. A google search should find them. They have ride outs every other Sunday.
    It will help a lot if you speak Spanish You can get your insurance SOAT at almost any gas station.
    If you need any more help send me a PM.
  4. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for the help, now that I know the names of the office I need to go it shouldn't be much of a problem for me. But I do lack in my Spanish skills but I can only get better.

Gracias
  5. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Unload in Bogota-then straight to Medellin!
  6. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    I'll be going there for sure. :D
  7. theturtleshead

theturtleshead Tits on a fish

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you get in-I'll give you a few route suggestions!