Oz/Kiwi KTM 640 ADV riders sign in here please.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by overlandr, May 10, 2006.

1. DANNOj

DANNOj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would, without hesitation, swap to the single set up after having ridden both. Even 950 Adventure riders make the change (Auto's 950 for example, and plenty in the states). The single disc and 950SE MS is identical to the brake set up on the 950SE. I have ridden Vic High Country, and countless NSW mountain country with full camping gear, and never had a single doubt about safety.

On the road, the front brake will FAR outperform the knobbie tyre that it is trying to pull up!!

Dan
  2. DANNOj

DANNOj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe some pics will convince you!! :clap

No worries here.....

[​IMG]

Or here.....

[​IMG]

Or even through here.....

[​IMG]

Hmmm... whats this? Oh, I swear its just some condensation in there..... :rofl

[​IMG]

Dan :D
  3. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I will order the single disk wheel, looking at the part no's the 950se has the same size disk, caliper & pads as my 640, not sure if the 950 had a floating disk though? I think I will suss out the disk the 950SE has (I know the rally bikes have floating disk) I figure if KTM recons the setup is good enough for the 950 it should be awesome on the 640, I did check back & the 2003 640 with standard single disk front had a 320mm disk but different caliper
  4. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Why not just buy a rim here? The get somebody to lace it or do itself. By all accounts there is nothing wrong with the KTM hub.

About $330 for a rim. The re-lacing took me a couple of hours.

Then you can go single disk, or double.

I dropped to a single disk with 950se mc when I did the rim (1.6). I am not a great off road rider, so I actually like the less braking effect off-road with the signle disk.

Just my $0.02 worth.

David.

5. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you find the single disk with the 950se MC compared to the standard twin disk setup?
  6. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    I prefer it. As I said above I am not a great off-road rider (just came back to off-road after a small 25 year hiatus due to travel, house, kids etc...) and I like the less aggressive bevaviour of the single disk on dirt.

I think the single disk suffers a bit more fade ON ROAD if you are being aggressive. But I was willing to live with this.
  7. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats a good idea just replacing the rim, maybe I will have a go at that, did you find it easy enough relacing the new rim yourself?
  8. dnrobertson

Oddometer:
    I read on advrider a hint that I will pass on.

To get a new rim, ask for a Husky rim, as the 640A front rims are not the same as other KTM rims. If you can't be stuffed messing around with dickheads in shops, just call Dalby Moto and say what you want and they will get it for you.

before starting to remove the old rim:

1. Use thin cable ties and join all the spokes together where they cross over.
    2. Put a cable tie on the spokes either side of the tube valve.

Now remove the spoke nipples and align the spokes in the new rim (with valve hole) and put all the nipples back on.

My rim has a very small amount of run out on it, which I can't be stuffed trying to remove. Took me about 4 hours all up.

David

9. nick g

nick g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    what brand rim was it? I called Ballards recently, they quoted $200-00 ( plus post) for a SM Pro one, which would be more than enough for the 640. Had considered that one, in a 1.6 size for when my front ends its working life
  10. rallyelc4

rallyelc4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day advriders , can anyone recomend a expert lc4 mechanic in Melbourne mines starting to go tick tick tick and I don't want it to go bang!! So I e stopped riding I have trashed the index and google but I would really like anyone in oz who has had this problems advice. Btw any luck with those risers keV? Thanks guys Dan :ear
  11. clarky

clarky 05' 640 Adv

Oddometer:
    BTW Dan, how is the rebuild going on yours....bolted back together again?

In regards to the brakes, I have a single disk and an EXC master cylinder....and haven't had any drama's with it. :clap
  12. Racketeer

Racketeer Must escape......

Oddometer:
    Melbourne near the sshitty...I mean the City!!
    My ADV is sitting in Peter Stevens City Service center and the MO.

I will let you know how they go fixing the Clutch, doing a service and replacing the Rear suspension bushes!!

Has anyone else tried out the guys there yet???

Cheers

Rac
  13. LeglessOne

LeglessOne Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have thought that between you and your girlfriend you would have done those jobs yourselves?

Nev?:lol3
  14. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok Im gonna go the single disk & get the 950se master cylinder, but I still need to replace my front rim, from the research I've done the 950SE standard rim fits the 640 hub & spokes, & from what I've researched the Excel rim needs drilling etc,
  15. KTMatt

KTMatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive got the 1.6 double stamped Excel rim and it a husky patten and they are same patten as the ONE rim.

I found that the 2.15 rim made the tyre to flat and flow on the loss stuff but the 1.6 gives better bite and handles better for what I do.

Hope that helps and the bash plate will be done soon :D

Cheers Matt
  16. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of getting 1.85 (kinda compromise), does anyone know where I can order one online??
  17. angryad

angryad Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer:
  18. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    If going for the 1.6" rim, the excel A60 is stronger apparently.
  19. KevS69

KevS69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I have read I'm probably going the 1.85, I have also found out the standard 950se rim will fit the standard 640spokes & hub but I'm getting mixed messages regarding the 950 rim, so I think I will go the excel rim, just not sure where to buy it from
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Check out Woody's threads; discusses the pros and cons of front rim width.