Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Cool. Steve's my "online buddy". Another husky rider. :thumb

There is ALWAYS one of these in my backpack!
  2. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    since it's pretty quiet here, i''ll take the opportunity to point out riding etiquette when riding with a group.

1. ride leaders don't get paid, they do it because they want you to have a good ride
    2. please respect your ride leader and fellow rider
    3. do not rely on your ride leader 100%, you still are responsible for yourself
    4. be familiar with the riders in your group.
    5. be there on the meet up spot on time and listen to the game plan
    6. if you show up late, just go along with the flow and stick close to someone who knows what's he's doing
    7. best to buddy up with someone even with you're in a group.
    8. when riding, keep an eye on the headlight of the rider behind you. if you don't see it, stop!
    9. the rider in front of you should do the same.
    10. after 5-10 minutes and no sign of the rider behind, summon the rider in front of you that you're going back and look for the missing rider. better yet, have someone ride with you.
    11. if you get lost, stay where you are or go back to the last place where the group stopped.
    12 if your bike breaks down, stay with the bike
    13. regroup every 5 miles, this way if you lose someone, you only back track for 5 miles.
    14. wait at the T or Y for the rider behind you.
    15. if there are hazards , water crossings, ruts, mud, etc.....wait for the rider behind you to get through or pass it. he or she may need help; also great photo opportunity....:D (seriously do not distract the rider so he or she could focus riding)
    16. there's strength in numbers, be part of the team and help each other.
    17. always check out your bike and the rider's bike next to you for broken or missing parts, or tires that are flat or poorly inflated.
    18. STAY ON THE TRAIL OR ROAD. if you stray and crash, they might not find you, besides it is ILLEGAL in the national parks to ride cross country.

IF YOU HAVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE POST THEM UP HERE. THESE ARE NOT RULES BUT MERE GUIDELINES,
  3. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:

You forgot if you get lost or seperated from the group, get off your bike, take off all your clothes and run blindly in the dark...:lol3
  4. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then why does Joel only do that in the campground? :eek1
  5. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything.

Oddometer:
    Isn't this what Jimmy meant by "night riding"?
  6. GSequoia

GSequoia I know a few things about radios... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmm...

I think I need to devise and offer to sell tent locks. I just might be able to make all the money I spent gearing up for hte event and then some!
  7. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3
  8. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ersin and Rich would each buy a few tent locks after the Grand Canyon trip.

I avoided Joel's unwanted midnight tent access by sleeping in a trash bag.
  9. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey now...that's was all them man. I need one of them locks before any of that stuff tries to comes my way!
  10. Mr. G

Mr. G Normal Dude

Oddometer:
    Vegetarians

Please speak up. I have had several responses and sign-ups but have lots of slots open. Please let me know by Feb 20th if you want veggie dinners. Also let me know how many nights and which nights if not all three.

Thanks
  11. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Tire Pressure,,,,Especially on the big bikes...

DV is a killer of tubes..I have had a flat almost every time I have gone and sometimes 3 in a day....

On my 950 I never drop below 28psi on the front...in DV I up it a couple psi....

The area is wide open...no need for low pressure to rail the turns...
  12. nsfw

Oddometer:
    i asked lior to bring extra tubes and common sized tires. bring cash.

if you ran out.....see him. last year there were 2 riders who have to buy new tires after the first day.....:huh

if you're not good in changing flat, bring extra to replace the tube you just pinched...:D
  13. nsfw

Oddometer:
    last night when i got home, the butler maps are waiting for me.

bill (adv inmate eakins) sent us 2 socal and 1 northern cal maps for the raffle......:clap

[​IMG]
  14. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    And "Tire Pressure" is a great conversation starter...
  15. browneye

Oddometer:
    Uh yeah...the big bikes pinch tubes. If you drop 200lbs in bike you can get great traction with 15-18. :D

A couple more notes for prep...
    Make sure you have the proper wrench to remove both wheels for flat repair. I know this sounds silly, but I have experienced first hand where the factory tool kit that comes with the bike doesn't have the right tool. Go figure.

Have an extra tube for front and rear, a patch kit, and a way to inflate - either a tire pump, 12V pump with power lead for YOUR bike, or CO2 carts. Something to lube the bead isn't a bad idea either, either tire change lube, soap, or a mini WD40. The latter is always in my tank bag.

If you're not real good at removing a bead and tube to repair or replace, at least have what you need. We'll help you but we're not there to do it for you. :evil

Know the route distance you're going to tackle and make sure you have sufficient fuel range.

Carry at least a couple of liters of water and something to eat. In my opinion, you should have sufficient gear to be able to spend the night out in the dez, god forbid that something should happen and you don't make it back. This is less serious for this event due the numbers and that we are keeping track of everyone and riding in groups, but one needs to be sufficiently prepared.

First aid - I don't know what people carry, but I always have a sling, bandaids, rags, aspirin, and first aid tape. I wear contacts so I have spare glasses, a contacts case, saline solution, eye drops, and a spare pair of lenses, sunglasses, a hat, and reading glasses. Lip balm, benedryl (for bee sting reaction), antacid tabs.

If your navigation aid (reads: GPS) isn't hard wired to your bike then make sure you have extra batteries. I always have a LED headlamp thingy backpackers use, and extra batteries. If you get caught out after dark with a flat you'll be damn glad you have a way to task light. Lithium batteries cost more but last 8 times as long.

Although you don't need to, I have enough tools to practically rebuild a bike in the field. Wrench set, sockets, allens, pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, tire irons, plug wrench and plug. For spares, duct and electrical tape, hose clamps, a variety of bolts and screws, 20ga wire, chain breaker, master link, JB weld, super glue, locktite. A note pad and something to write with is always a great idea for any trip. Can be used for notes yourself, but more important, for details of an accident, or to leave a note for somebody else, a buddy or group.

A space blanket. Wind proof lighter, compass, whistle...you know, the 10 essentials. I even carry a snake bite kit. Oh yeah, and a spare key for your ignition. I keep one in my backpack or tankbag, some guys hide one on their bike.

In cooler weather, like we're likely to see at DV, my jetboil and coffee and cup a soup. If you get rained out or snowed on it's pretty nice. Even for a lunch stop.

Until this stuff comes naturally to you, a checklist is not a bad idea. Mostly it's being prepared for whatever, for you and your machine.
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    That's more than I carry for a week-long trip!! :rofl
  17. browneye

Oddometer:
    When you ride with the browneye, if you need something you know he's got it. :thumb

In forty years of riding I've never had a flat offroad. Maybe this will be my first time....flat tire cherry-pop. :lol3

Having tools and spares comes from riding bikes from the 70's. They always broke something or some part fell off.
  18. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    Do we have a shirt for this rally?

If so please link or whatever If not WTF Calling Browneye!

TIA

:freaky

19. Fishyhead

Fishyhead Eremikophobic

Oddometer:
    Just had to jinx me. :huh
  20. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:

Serious.. Paging Scorpion.........