State bans loud exhausts... fatalities jump 18% in one year!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wiseblood, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken,
    This is a complex subject, with no clear answer. We just think we know the answers...
    Lion
  2. farmerstu

farmerstu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    exept the cost attributed to the death are for the dead persons wages that won't be made because he's dead, or perhaps their are payout on liability claim for causing the death of another.
    we do not know because the stats provided don't tell us .
    in short this meaningless stat has no bearing whatsoever on the subject at hand.
    you can't be so naive that you believe a helmetless riders death somehow cost the insurance co. or the public 1,410,000.
  3. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is an average assessment, it could be wrong for an individual case, it certainly depends on your economic activity, your income, the point in your career, your age or your dependents.

Check your insurance policy and see how much you agreed for death benefits (benefits payable if you are involved in a fatal accident). Or your life insurance policy, check the accidental death clause, if you have one. That may be a better assessment on the value of your own life. And some insurance companies will use that as an argument when assessing someone's death benefits.

I was making the point that death is not less expensive than long term injuries necessarily.
  4. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me its irrelevant if it costs the insurance company more...if the insurance company wants to charge an individual more or less due to the fact they were a helmet or not is fine with me. You tell them you wear one and get into an accident without one on expect them not to pay....Very simple...Before 49 states instituted (blackmailed into passing) the seat belt law insurance companies did just that...they gave you a discount for wearing it (at least mine did).

So the money issue is whether it costs the States more money and that has been shown to be insignificant.

We can argue back and forth until hell freezes over but lets be honest nobodies mind is going to be changed. There will be no moment of clarity on either side....

Folks who live outside the US should really just stay the hell out of it...your decisions have been made for you and frankly it obvious they don't understand what it is to be a US citizen and choices we still have available to us. I'm not bashing other countries nor do I mean any offense when I say, unless you were raised here you just don't seem to get it.
  5. Dream Rider

Dream Rider Watchman

Oddometer:
    hypothetical my ass. Mr. Obama and North east buddies are working hard to eliminate the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 22nd amendments. Washington state already has two bills that will affect the 2nd & 4th.
  6. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    never questioned ur brains

just ur ignorance
  7. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    yep
    daky man

u still

don't like it when I agree or disagree

open your horizens

take a look at how things are done in politics

in the us and out
  8. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are also taking a major dump on the 10th
  9. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    tongue in cheek

why then does the us stick its nose in all the other countries of the world

hypocrite/ lol

free to say what you like

just not about the us

most of things I have to say

I normally run past a us citizen first

cheers
  10. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    that was tongue in cheek

I have utmost respect for your troops os

just watching tv us marines handing over to afgan police

very sad all that effort by ur and our troops

afgan police- molesting kids/kidnapping/green on blue attacks/corruption-selling their weapons to Taliban

etc, etc

shooting at civilians

marines standing by with their hands tyed

the british tamed the area

all for nothing

very sad/frustrating
  11. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never confuse the US Government with a US citizen....they are not the same...

I agree the US Gov medals to much in others affairs....but they never seem to mind when we send them a big check.
  12. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Moral Hazard would still apply. Insurance says: I'm not paying, he was not wearing a helmet. But the expenses do not disappear because insurance does not pay. Someone will still have to pay, as hospitals and doctors are not charity organizations. You and I will pay one way or the other.
  13. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    where is the morality when parents send their snot nosed kids to school when they are sick

the gore of a helmetless motorcycle accident victim is an easy target, but he's not the problem causing excess public health care costs

here we are attacking motorcyclists that have to crash first before they cost the public, while its ok to perpetuate illness that is already costing the puublic
  14. Lion BR

Oddometer:
    Please read the explanation of what moral hazard means (a few posts back). Moral means "subjective" for this term. It certainly is an ethical issue, though. But nobody is attacking anyone here, well I am not. And nobody is extrapolating this to health care costs, or I am not. What I am saying is that when someone has medical expenses, someone is going to pay for it, be it him/herself or somebody else. Moral hazard occurs when risk takers infringe into others the consequences of their higher risk actions. Without a helmet, consequences of accidents are likely to be more severe, the related expenses are, according to statistics, likely to be higher. That is all. If you are a careful rider, your historical data and your indicators of risk are good, you pay less insurance, but you still pay more than you should, because it is us, if we are safe riders, and not the insurance companies who pays the bill for higher risk takers at the end. Overall, motorcycling is a higher risk activity than driving, under normal conditions for both. All extrapolations from my posts to the problems related to health care costs are yours.
  15. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    I have to disagree

you are a democracy

public opinion

caused the withdrawal from Vietnam

at the moment the gay marriage

about once every generation

the us has become involved in a war that can not be won/

this statement was made by a us historian

we do the same

I don't always agree with our foreign policy either

it shows the 'doing the right thing''

as a whole, from looking from the outside

I think that the us govt is a fractured mirror of the us citizen

I don't think that is a bad thing.

now back t o the siily economist

explaining the helmet issue through insurance companies

now they are the devil( insurance companies/economists/accountants) lol

cheers
  16. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The United States of America in not a democracy, it is a Constitutional Republic, governed my representatives that are elected by a limited democratic process
  17. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    And here I thought Quebec was the only province/territory where English was a foregin language. :rofl
  18. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    close enough

splitting hairs

no true democracy

always some gerrymandering

ie 1 vote does not always equal anothers
  19. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    \\ducy duky dukey