ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #796
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Kwicher bellyaching Jerry. It really makes no difference how it used to be.
User familiarity and learning curve, perhaps?
Like upgrading from Microsoft Bob to Windows 98...
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
SnowMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #797
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,773
You might like a little whine but he's getting monotonous on that point. It's not helping anyone.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #798
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Ok, I thought I had the same cards in my different 78's but one is a little older. The 12 CN does show all categories, the older card does not, but I found a way to search for campgrounds anyway. Thanks guys for all the tips.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #799
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Kwicher bellyaching Jerry. It really makes no difference how it used to be.
Sounds like a personal attack? I agree, we disagree. I do believe it can a difference to bellyache, complain, whine, and bitch about crappy products. Word does get back and with enough complaining OEMs do change things. Garmin has the worst design practices for their human interface known to man, it is disgusting and they need to know.

I bought a 98 GMC with Daylight Running Lights that had no disable switch. I found the relay control wire and added one. I them bought a 2000 GMC, the dealer was going over controls and pointed out the obscure disable switch for the DRL. I said thank god. The dealer said they had so many complaints from customers they had to add it. I know it is just one OEM smart response but I still have a small hope that Garmin will wise up and quit changing or deleting things that work and just adding more things if enough customers respond.

I have enough 76s to last several years but would have bought a few 78s by now if Garmin hadn't screwed up so many features. They are losing business because of their poor design/marketing practices. My observation of my customers is that they are happy enough with their 60/76 and are not going to spend money for something that non of their friends say does all their 60/76 does and more. Several of them have told me they still find old new stock or used 60/76 over going with 62/78 when they are forced to get a new unit.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #800
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Personal attack? Nah. That would be if I called you a "Whiner". But I didn't. Though I was tempted.

Your off topic drivel might make sense to you but do you really think Garmin cares, if all you do is post it here? Tell them, but I don't think we need it in this thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #801
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Countdown, Thanks for the tips on setting up the 78 on your website. Now,one more dumb question. I loaded an older metroguide map to the memory of my unit, not the card. How do I take it off?

Also, there are features from the older 60 series gps, I wish this unit had. However, the ability to load 200 tracks at 10,000 something points each about cancels out any shortcomings with the unit. I rode part of the tat last year and the 20 tracks feature was a real PIA. I just followed my buddy with his Montana. After getting the 78, I rode another trail system called the Blue ridge Trail. 100 seperate tracks. Loaded em all and went! Brialliant!!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #802
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
Now,one more dumb question. I loaded an older metroguide map to the memory of my unit, not the card. How do I take it off?
If you used Map Install to load the map it should be a separate file. Connect the 78 to a computer and look for files with .img extensions. You might find one with a descriptive name, and recognize the map file. Whatever you do, rather than delete the file, back it up first.

If you only have one file called gmapsupp.img, then Mapsource was probably used to load the map, and there may be more than one map in the file. That would be a good time to switch to Map Install to start loading maps individually, when you do so.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #803
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

I put the metrguide cd in opened with mapsource, highlited all the tiles for the US and transferred them to the unit. How would I uninstall them?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #804
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputygene View Post
I put the metrguide cd in opened with mapsource, highlited all the tiles for the US and transferred them to the unit. How would I uninstall them?
The traditional way, and pretty much the only way you could with a 60/76 would be to upload a different mapset. That would start the gmapsupp.img file all over again. Do you have any other maps showing up in Setup\maps\Choose Map aside from the CNNA on the card? If not, then just remove the file called gmapsupp.img from the gps itself. Be careful you don't delete the map on the sd card.

Was CNNA bought on the sd card?

Might be worth taking the card out while you make changes.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #805
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Just a for-what-it's-worth.

The Lithium battery setting and resulting battery level indicator on the 78 are not to be trusted.
I recently switched to Lithium in hopes of longer/better performance (jury is still out) and found that as the lithiums neared depletion, the GPS on power-up showed full charge (4 bars) only to be down to 1 bar and low battery warnings within minutes. And this is with backlighting "off" and battery saver "on". The Alkaline batteries and setting seem to be more accurate. I assume (but don't know) the same would be true of the 62/64.

Bruce
mcnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:16 PM   #806
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,730
That's exactly why avalanche beacons tell you to use alkaline, not lithium flavors - has to do with the discharge curves.

Alkaline drops predictably as the charge is depleted.
Lithium holds the voltage well until the charge is depleted, at which point it tanks really fast.... like you saw.

With avalanche beacons, you don't want to put yourself in a situation where you start the day with "90 percent", then an hour into your day, no beacon...
#155 | Mule's Photos | BackCountryRebels | ThumperTalk | Tekrider | TylersBA
SnowMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #807
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Routing trouble on 78

I tried to follow routes on my 78 yesterday for a club ride. I had a great deal of difficulty doing this. It seemed that if there was no road between 2 waypoints it would come up with an alternate route that used roads. I had the GPS set to ATV/Off road driving, and also tried Hiking, but it didn't make a difference.

The sequence for loading the route was Find, Routes, click on route from list, then Enter. The GPS would then display the waypoints joined together with a purple line. This was okay as long as there was a road between each waypoint.

I'm assuming there is a simple setting that I'm getting wrong.
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #808
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
I tried to follow routes on my 78 yesterday for a club ride. It seemed that if there was no road between 2 waypoints it would come up with an alternate route that used roads. I'm assuming there is a simple setting that I'm getting wrong.
Actually not. Others in your club must have had the same problem? Unless:

Was the "no road" section really an OHV route or just a real road that was not on your map?

What maps were you using? Are they the same maps that the person created the Route with? If it was just the Base Map, Routes probably won't work.

If the tour actually used and OHV route, you should have used Tracks which don't need a map.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #809
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Thanks for the reply, Countdown.

I'm using the OSM generic routable map. I may have solved the problem while playing with the GPS today. Under activities there is a "direct routing" option, after I selected this the screen display of the route looked normal. I'll know for sure this weekend.

Mike
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #810
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
Thanks for the reply, Countdown.

I'm using the OSM generic routable map. I may have solved the problem while playing with the GPS today. Under activities there is a "direct routing" option, after I selected this the screen display of the route looked normal. I'll know for sure this weekend.
As you found, Direct Routing is the only way to get those routes to work if there are no actual roads. That way the route will only point to the next waypoint, and not try to find you a road to take you there.