Making a Smuggler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by richarddacat, Jan 27, 2013.

1. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    EDIT 1/17/2021 I noticed the photos have failed to save so heres the album of the project. Or start at the end and see where I built the one for my 2013.

http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/library/My FJR/SMUGGLER - FJR
    Thanks for the interest.

I'm starting my first attempt at fiber-glassing by making a storage box out of the rear seat pan from a FJR. A homemade Corbin Smuggler so to speak.

My idea is not to make a mold but use layering on top of a cardboard fabricated structure. Beginning with a stock seat pan I'm building the box on top of the stock plastic pan.

This outside shell is built of cardboard will be covered with aluminum tape, a release product like paste wax will be smeared on it and then start applying the FG.
    The completed shell will be smoothed out with Bondo and probably rattled canned. The lid of course will have a hinge and latch, details of this are or any of it are not drawn out, just a idea I've had in my head.

The shell is now built out of cardboard but I need to fab the attaching brackets so to speak to the base pan.
    My idea on this is to build a second piece that's will be on top of the seat pan, doing this I can bolt the new FB to the pan then the new base can be attached to outer shell from the inside. Maybe at the same time the outer piece is being glassed, not sure yet how best to go about it.

I'm tossing ideas about supporting tabs, sheet metal bracketing (?) in four locations where holes can be drilled and bolts run through the seat pan and in the new seat pan base.

The lid will be a third piece.

I'd like to get any input to see if my idea will work or if anyones done a similar project. I've seen a aux. fuel tank built from the rear FJR seat pan, it looked little crude but effective.

I've done a little searching on here about some very creative projects from some very skilled bikers and saved a few links that are helpful. I'm not very skilled but particular and tend to get in a hurry so I'm vowing right now that this is something I don't need to rush. :rofl

Tips and suggestions are welcome.
  2. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool project, thake lots of pics. bete
  3. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    May try to start slapping fiberglas on it tomorrow. Need to find a good release agent, paste wax is what I thought I'd use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside the box is another cardboard pan, I'll do the outside then fit the inside pan and attach.[​IMG]
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome...:clap I think I would have made it a little taller to incorporate a backrest. Nice going though and keep us posted...
  5. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Liquid PVA works well as a release agent, as does liberal coats of clear Kiwi shoe polish.
  6. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    How about Johnsons paste wax?
  7. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can build a box that's any uglier than your seat. Did that saddle come off an AMF Harley?

I did something similar for my Tiger, but I built an aluminum 'lid' that takes the place of the whole passenger seat, and creates one larger storage area under the seat and where the seat would normally be. I fab'ed brackets so it still attaches and locks like a stock pass. saddle.
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see of pic of that, if you don't mind.
  9. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Same here, along with your seat. :D
  10. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the seat looked darn comfy. bete.
  11. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    saran wrap
    rick danger likes this.
  12. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    It's a Russell and it is darn comfy.:thumb

Thought about saran wrap but was afraid it would move on me too much, used paste wax and did some glassing today. Got a few bubbles and high spots, planning on smoothing them out and adding some more layers.
  13. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    I don't know what paste wax is? sounds like something my wife would use:rofl
  14. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    From what I've read a wax without silicon works as a release agent. Johnsons paste wax is commonly used on wood floors.
    If you can get your wife to wax anything, more power to ya. :1drink
  15. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    From bedding a few rifles I always found Kiwi clear polish to work well as a release agent and more importantly not be too thick as to affect the final product.
    pigjockey likes this.
  16. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    This part turned out pretty good. I need to finish the edges and maybe reinforce the inside corners. Also need to be thinking about a lid and hinge assembly. Later I'll finish the outside with bondo, smoothing it out will be once everything is fitted. I want to get all the parts made and together before I do the final finishing.

[​IMG]

Here's the outside form, what I did next was basically cut the box off down to where the I want the seat pan. The seat pan as it is now will fit inside the box form so I'll use that to make a mold. I wrapped my pan with saran wrap, thanks waldo and came up with a molding idea.

[​IMG]

So I need a mold for my seat pan so I can form another fiberglass piece that will fit inside the box and where I can bolt the whole assembly to stock seat pan.
    I'm using plaster of paris and fabric cloths to form over my seat pan. Soaking the cloths in plaster and wrapping them over the seat pan. After a few layers I added the box so the mold will sit level when I glass the pan. :D

[​IMG]
  17. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did something similar, and used duct tape as a release agent/cardboard cover. It worked really well, and was super fast.

Nice looking seat.
  18. b1pig

b1pig Long timer

Oddometer:
    you should really skim through the videos on youtube.... also search google for "homemade fiberglass speaker box"... or similar searches. there are several methods. one that i intended on doing myself was to use expanding foam. One you build a basic one-layer shell, you can cut it open and remove the foam. then put the halves back together and layer it all up. doesnt look too hard. just that you have to invest in a bunch of consumables because the resin ruins whatever it touches. sticks, cups, spreaders... etc...

try this one for example
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Fiberglass-Subwoofer-Box/step2/2-Tape-Layer/

(pic warning on this one)
    http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182085

good write up
    http://chimchim.net/rav4/how/fiber.htm

the beauty of doing it yourself... if you decide to try again or make it better/bigger or something... you've already got some of the experience needed.
  19. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments.

My plaster mold came out pretty good. Glassed it the other day and my new seat pan popped right out, there on the right. Re-fitted to seat pan and drilled my bolt holes. Fitted or rather it fell in the box half like a glove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smoothed the edges out and bolted the bottom half to the seat pan again. Then added the top half after cutting a hole for what will be covered with a lid.
    [​IMG]

I then made sure it fit level and well on the bike. Removed it and started glassing the inside seam between the two halves.
    I removed the seat pan after the inside seams dried and glassed the outside edges and gaps.

I'll let it dry over night and smooth the edges out again. I'll also make sure the fit on the bike is good and then I'll be ready to use bondo the smooth out the whole box. Looks like the back next to the rack will need to thinned out some, just a bit too close especially after adding bondo.

I need to think about how I'm going to do a lid and I'm considering it being water tight, we'll see.
  20. richarddacat

Oddometer:
    Reinforced the inside some more at the bolt holes and the back half. On the outside I smoothed out the high spots, sanded the back half next to the rack down a lot more for clearance. Ground the edges to match the seat pan.

Cleaned all the tape off the seat pan and painted the edges black.
    Will be slapping bondo over the surface tomorrow.
    Still not decided on the lid.